Here's a very rare model ...

Here's a very rare model ...

September 14th, 2017, 1:55 am #1

at least it seems to be from what is states below. Quite interesting though. Brings up the question: Has anyone ever built a recent model of an old model? I'd think this example below would be a nice choice. It would definitely have an interesting backstory to it at one of the modeling shows IMHO

"This is a very interesting image of the Mustang story. I believe this is a North American factory model of the proposed 'Merlin' conversion. It depicts the P-51A / Mustang Mk.1A fuselage and wing with the 20mm cannons. The British were converting four Mk.1A airframes designated Mk.X to carry the Merlin 65 engine and using a 4 blade Spitfire wood propeller. While at roughly the same time North American engineers were working on the same conversion designated XP-78.These two airframes were to use the Packard - Merlin 61 engine and a 4 blade Hamilton Standard propeller. However the actual prototype used the Hamilton Standard "Cuffed" blades. The serial number on the fuselage appears to be erroneous. The NAA serials were - 41-37352 and 41-37421. The contract for the two prototypes was signed on 25 JULY 1942. The first NAA factory Merlin conversion flew on 30 November 1942 by test pilot Robert Chilton. The plane was then designated as XP-51B." ... K.A. Young

Last edited by MarkAllenM on September 14th, 2017, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 3:23 am #2

September 14th, 2017, 3:47 am #3

photos of Mr. Leroy Grumman and his model collection.

Last edited by pat9d on September 14th, 2017, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 4:21 am #4

The ones hanging from the ceiling I believe are painted wooden black models used for identification training.

September 14th, 2017, 4:25 am #5

photos of Mr. Leroy Grumman and his model collection.

Grumman on airplane is like Sterling on silver !! nt

September 14th, 2017, 9:31 am #6

at least it seems to be from what is states below. Quite interesting though. Brings up the question: Has anyone ever built a recent model of an old model? I'd think this example below would be a nice choice. It would definitely have an interesting backstory to it at one of the modeling shows IMHO

"This is a very interesting image of the Mustang story. I believe this is a North American factory model of the proposed 'Merlin' conversion. It depicts the P-51A / Mustang Mk.1A fuselage and wing with the 20mm cannons. The British were converting four Mk.1A airframes designated Mk.X to carry the Merlin 65 engine and using a 4 blade Spitfire wood propeller. While at roughly the same time North American engineers were working on the same conversion designated XP-78.These two airframes were to use the Packard - Merlin 61 engine and a 4 blade Hamilton Standard propeller. However the actual prototype used the Hamilton Standard "Cuffed" blades. The serial number on the fuselage appears to be erroneous. The NAA serials were - 41-37352 and 41-37421. The contract for the two prototypes was signed on 25 JULY 1942. The first NAA factory Merlin conversion flew on 30 November 1942 by test pilot Robert Chilton. The plane was then designated as XP-51B." ... K.A. Young

a die-cast/"toy" than a real "factory model" to me. The configuration isn't that out there, though- the Brits did lobby for the cannon.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

September 14th, 2017, 11:17 am #7

The P-51 Mustang MkX looked completely different than the model on the picture.

Saluti

Giampiero

Last edited by GiampieroSilvestri on September 14th, 2017, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 12:25 pm #8

Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'

September 14th, 2017, 12:36 pm #9

The P-51 Mustang MkX looked completely different than the model on the picture.

Saluti

Giampiero

It does seem to have a deeper chin intake.

This appears to be a second. Don't have RAF serial sequence. And is it in Dark earth and Middlestone?

Last edited by samodeldad on September 14th, 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'

September 14th, 2017, 12:51 pm #10

To get out a kit of the new Merlin engined Mustang. Then they changed to configuration, but it was too late to change the molds…
We see that all the time…
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."