Help with questions on F-15B/D and F-15E Eagles

April 15th, 2018, 7:12 pm #1

I'm most likely going to be building an F-15B or D two-seat Eagle in 1/48. After searching several online hobby shops, it seems that they've become very rare, in ANY scale! I do have a couple of F-15 E Strike Eagles though....

So, my questions is: can I simply leave off the conformal fuel packs, pylons, and weapons from my Strike Eagle kit and essentially have a B/D Eagle? Note that I am NOT worried about the interior differences in the instrument panels; just the main exterior differences.

I would love to find an older Monogram/Revell/Academy (whoever) F-15B/D two seat kit; but have had no luck with the usual suspects (Sprue Bros., Squadron, Rare Kit Detective, etc.)

Thanks!

This one shows in stock...

April 15th, 2018, 8:06 pm #2

Have academy 1/48 F-15E

April 15th, 2018, 8:35 pm #3

I'm most likely going to be building an F-15B or D two-seat Eagle in 1/48. After searching several online hobby shops, it seems that they've become very rare, in ANY scale! I do have a couple of F-15 E Strike Eagles though....

So, my questions is: can I simply leave off the conformal fuel packs, pylons, and weapons from my Strike Eagle kit and essentially have a B/D Eagle? Note that I am NOT worried about the interior differences in the instrument panels; just the main exterior differences.

I would love to find an older Monogram/Revell/Academy (whoever) F-15B/D two seat kit; but have had no luck with the usual suspects (Sprue Bros., Squadron, Rare Kit Detective, etc.)

Thanks!
Which I heard was more of a b/d

Someone just listed a -E on Plane Trading...N/T

April 15th, 2018, 10:18 pm #4

Thanks!

Yeah, but

April 16th, 2018, 12:19 am #5

Not keen on spending that much for a model to built and given away.....especially if there's not that much difference between the variants externally. Thanks for the link though!
Last edited by slowhandshodges on April 16th, 2018, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks

April 16th, 2018, 12:21 am #6

Saw that, but that's one I already have....

I have a 1/72 Hasegawa F-15D (Glamorous Glennis) which has the conformal fuel tanks.....

April 16th, 2018, 1:09 am #7

Thanks!
So I believe you can build the Revell F-15E as a D without the pylons & weapons.

HTHs,
Steve Sliger
Greenwell Springs, LA

Email sent --- nt

April 16th, 2018, 3:52 am #8

Thanks!
Email sent --- nt

Gear difference

April 16th, 2018, 11:03 am #9

Thanks!
If I recall right, the "Mud Hens" have a beefer gear than earlier versions to handle the additional weight. The Forward doors on the main gear is bulged to accommodate the larger wheel and tire. Some "e" kits show it, some don't. You'll have to either sand them down or if they are separate piece replace the door with one from an A?C. There are also some antenna differences due to different avionics.

Differences between F-15B/D and F-15E

April 17th, 2018, 4:04 am #10

Thanks!
Another difference is the rear cockpit. The E is completely different than the B/D. You'd have to scratch build the IP and side panels.