Help w/remove before flt tags locations for an F-4E

Help w/remove before flt tags locations for an F-4E

February 23rd, 2011, 12:15 pm #1

Can anyone help identify the locations for the "remove before flight" tags/pins on a F-4E?
Asside from the nose and vert stab pitot tubes I would assume that there should be one (flag) for of the each gear legs but not sure exactly wherein on each leg they would go.
(P.S. - The intended bird will have 3 bags, and a travel pod, but otherwise clean).

T.I.A.

February 23rd, 2011, 3:56 pm #2

Depends on how close to flight you want your jet to be. Generally the crew chief would have already pulled most of the downlocks and covers before the crew arrives to fly, but some were left until the end of the runway checks. Here is a short list I can think of, remembering back several years.

Each gear had a clamshell downlock over the reatractable cylinder (the shiney chrome part that slides into the retraction arms). This downlock was red with a flag attached. See photo below of the nose gear. There was no flag just hanging off of the gear.

Aux Air Doors under the belly, either side of the CL tank also has struts to prevent retraction.

Tail hook lock sling.

Drag chute had a flag hanging out from under the door which was our clue that a chute was installed.

External tank jettison pyros/locks

Nose gun safety pin, usually the gun door was open for crew inspection

Of course if there were any external munitions, each had it's own safety flag which was removed at EOR (End of Runway)

Pitot cover (nose), stab aug cover (vertical tail). and AOA Probe cover (right side of nose)

Intake covers. (I never saw exhaust nozzle covers used.)

Grounding wire

Canopy struts

Seat safety pins. If the crew was coming out only the face curtain and seat mounted initiator (upper rear of the seat) were still in.

Of these, the min when the crew came out were seat pins (2 each as noted), wing tank pins, drag chute, and gun safety.

And if you go this far, don't forget the wheel chocks on both mains.

I'm sure others out there will remember something I forgot.

Here is a photo of the the Collings Foundation D model showing many of the flags mentioned above. Below that is a close up of the nose gear downlock.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

February 23rd, 2011, 4:09 pm #3

I worked F-4s for a number of years. I think you did a pretty good job!

February 23rd, 2011, 5:16 pm #4

Can anyone help identify the locations for the "remove before flight" tags/pins on a F-4E?
Asside from the nose and vert stab pitot tubes I would assume that there should be one (flag) for of the each gear legs but not sure exactly wherein on each leg they would go.
(P.S. - The intended bird will have 3 bags, and a travel pod, but otherwise clean).

T.I.A.
Many Thanks for the info/fedback concerning the RBF flags, I greatly appreciate the text and associated Pix. Once again Thank You