Help needed re Bae Hawk Canopy

Help needed re Bae Hawk Canopy

March 3rd, 2011, 7:08 am #1

Hi folks,

has anybody come up with a solution to the Hawk canopy problem? The windscreen for the rear seat requires gluing into the canopy. The gluing line also has to look, from the outside, like a line of off-white sealant with straight edges. Italeri have moulded a spurious external canopy frame to cover up the mess but I'd prefer to sand and polish this off if I can and somehow apply the white line from the inside. Sanding and polishing is easy enough but how to do the gluing and the white sealant eludes me.

How did you manage this? I'm doing the Italeri 1:48 kit but I guess the Airfix model is similar.

Here's a picture of the real deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leorex/275207717/

Thanks guys

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK

Last edited by glowbard2 on March 3rd, 2011, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2011, 9:12 pm #2

The solution is simple. As the external moulding on the on the
Italeri kit is NOT spurious simply paint it-job done.

www.maplewings.com

March 3rd, 2011, 9:43 pm #3

The canopy is one piece of blown 'perspex'. Check references and you will see that the shine goes over the frame uninterrupted. There's a frame there sure, but it's only inside the shiny shell.

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK

March 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm #4

nt

March 3rd, 2011, 9:47 pm #5

Hi folks,

has anybody come up with a solution to the Hawk canopy problem? The windscreen for the rear seat requires gluing into the canopy. The gluing line also has to look, from the outside, like a line of off-white sealant with straight edges. Italeri have moulded a spurious external canopy frame to cover up the mess but I'd prefer to sand and polish this off if I can and somehow apply the white line from the inside. Sanding and polishing is easy enough but how to do the gluing and the white sealant eludes me.

How did you manage this? I'm doing the Italeri 1:48 kit but I guess the Airfix model is similar.

Thanks guys

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK
maybe paint the line inside of the canopy, then attach the windscreen with Gator Glue?

March 3rd, 2011, 11:00 pm #6

... and use a fine bead of white household acrylic caulk (hardware store item).
Another option might be white fabric paint/puff paint from the craft store.

Allow yourself to think outside the box
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

March 3rd, 2011, 11:21 pm #7

Ed's idea is better than mine because of two things,,,,,,,,you get multiple attempts with the white craft paint, if you need them,,just clean off and re-do until happy,,,,,,and at $1 for a two ounce bottle, the craft paint is cheaper to play with, and if it's not "exactly white", you can either get a better match, or tint the white you get with acrylic model paints until it is just the right shade for your job

Rex

March 4th, 2011, 2:38 am #8

The canopy is one piece of blown 'perspex'. Check references and you will see that the shine goes over the frame uninterrupted. There's a frame there sure, but it's only inside the shiny shell.

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK
Paint interior then add blast shield using Gator Glue
or White school Glue. Job done.

My Airfix 1/72 Hawk

www.maplewings.com

Last edited by centuaryseries on March 4th, 2011, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2011, 3:35 am #9

Hi folks,

Thanks guys

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK
I certainly see what you mean. That is a tricky bit of work you're being confronted with.

As I see it, you have four issues to overcome: 1) coloring the exposed outside edge of the internal windscreen (cream), 2) Coloring the inside edge of the internal windscreen (black), 3) representing the caulking, and 4) gluing the internal windscreen to the canopy.

Starting with the gluing problem, this is the sort of fix that the Future as glue trick excels at. The downside to using Future as a glue for clear parts is that it produces a fairly weak bond, and with such a large, exposed butt joint, that may present an issue. Perhaps a tube of watch maker's glue might be the best solution? I've never used the stuff, but I understand that it's like industrial strength Future. Unlike Future, though, I don't think you get a second chance.

Returning to the painting problem. I'd simply mask the two clear sides of the windscreen, then paint the edges black to get the interior color. Once dried, I'd mask the lower edge (which seems to be black) then blow a few light layers of whichever cream color you decide to go with to represent the exposed edge that abuts the canopy. Doing it this way should yield black on the inside and cream on the outside. In short, just like you paint conventional canopies to represent the interior framing color.

As for the caulking, it looks like you're in for a fussy job no matter what you do. It looks like a metal tube more than anything else. I suppose you could run a length of very fine wire along the edge of the internal windscreen's vertical edges to represent the caulking, or tube, or whatever it is. At least the top edge of the windscreen will give you a male mold to help partially shape the wire.

Alternately, with the aid of some near boiling water, perhaps you could carefully crash mold a very fine Evergreen styrene rod over the top of the internal windscreen. I would suggest using Evergreen's finest plastic rod diameter (which should be fine enough) rather than stretched sprue because the Evergreen rod will have a constant diameter. This may not yield a perfect fit, but it should give you the rough shape and subsequently aid you in getting it glued into place.

I hope some of this has been useful in what looks like a very challenging--and just plain tricky--job.

March 4th, 2011, 6:37 am #10

Paint interior then add blast shield using Gator Glue
or White school Glue. Job done.

My Airfix 1/72 Hawk

www.maplewings.com
I really like that. Thanks for the pictures.

It appears you hand painted the MDC too. With manual skills like yours, no wonder this problem of mine looks easy to you. I have elderly, tremulous hands which are the size and shape of pig's teats! Not so easy for me.

Best wishes,
Don Smith
Derbyshire, UK