Help! Fleas!!!

Help! Fleas!!!

July 3rd, 2012, 4:59 pm #1

We have been fighting a losing battle for the past month with these little critters. We have a Yellow Lab so finding them on her is easy. We have used K9 Advantics and I think the fleas like this stuff cause she has them still . We bathe her twice a week in anti flea soap and it gets them off of her. You can see them dead. We have treated the houose several times and the yard too. Especially the shared wooden fence with a neighbor with three dogs. Still not looking like we are doing any good. Anyone have some success with this?

Thanks, Mike

July 3rd, 2012, 5:13 pm #2

My cats had flees once, about 4 years ago, my vet gave me this anti-flea stuff(I think it was called Advantage) you apply to the back of their necks(where they can't lick it off). You apply one tube per month for 3 months and not only does it kill the fleas they have it breaks the cycle as the fleas will not reinfect the animals for some time(it does eventually wear out). I did a thorough vacuuming(luckily I mostly have hardwood or tiled floors) and washed all my clothes and linen and I never saw them again after about a month.
However, my cats never go outside, dogs may require you continuously apply it. The only reason my cats got them was that a neighborhood cat snuck in the house and spent the day with them while I was at work.

July 3rd, 2012, 9:02 pm #3

We have been fighting a losing battle for the past month with these little critters. We have a Yellow Lab so finding them on her is easy. We have used K9 Advantics and I think the fleas like this stuff cause she has them still . We bathe her twice a week in anti flea soap and it gets them off of her. You can see them dead. We have treated the houose several times and the yard too. Especially the shared wooden fence with a neighbor with three dogs. Still not looking like we are doing any good. Anyone have some success with this?

Thanks, Mike
Had to get it from the Vet, at least in Illinois.

http://www.frontline.com/?gclid=CKSBlsi ... KgodfjVezA

July 4th, 2012, 2:01 am #4

Thanks, Mike
Mike:
Nematodes are microscopic creatures that are mixed with water to activate them and then sprayed in the yard. They eat fleas and their eggs. I have not seen a flea since I started using them 10 years ago. Treat the yard, then get rid of them in the house. they will live until it freezes, then you simply apply again. MUCH safer and better than poison.

HTH,
John

July 4th, 2012, 5:44 pm #5

I am very reluctant to spread around any chemicals for any reason. You wouldn't drink it...

July 4th, 2012, 6:42 pm #6

Mike:
Nematodes are microscopic creatures that are mixed with water to activate them and then sprayed in the yard. They eat fleas and their eggs. I have not seen a flea since I started using them 10 years ago. Treat the yard, then get rid of them in the house. they will live until it freezes, then you simply apply again. MUCH safer and better than poison.

HTH,
John
where would I might find them from a readily available souce? What you discribe sounds like what my Exterminator used a few years ago. But it took me using Advantage on the cats to really do the job. That was a couple of years ago. If I can find a nematode source, I'd sure like to give that a shot.. What else do the little munchers eat on?

Cheers,
Dave

July 5th, 2012, 1:13 am #7

Thanks, Mike
Mike-

Up in Conroe I fought a loosing battle with fleas using yard sprays, baths and the liquid stuff on the back treatments that the dogs hated, then found out about Comfortis from a friend. Perhaps a bit pricy, but you give your dog one large tablet a month and it works like a charm. Now granted I have to push the tablet down their throats, must taste bad, but it really works. Been using it for more than a year now with great results, no fleas. The dogs would always pick them up on walks and probably from marauding squirrels in the yard. Not any more.

For elimination indoors prior to Comfortis, I've used the Raid flea product (purple can?) that sprays down when applied. It works for a while but they do come back. If you have an aversion to chemicals, there is a trusty flea trap that drowns the sorry buggers. Get the largest shallow pan you have, fill part way with water and add some liquid dish soap. Suspend a lamp low over the pan and leave the light on overnight. The fleas are attracted to the light and the soap breaks the normal surface tension water has. Fleas jump at the light, fall in the pan, and that's all she wrote. Of course you have to keep the dogs from drinking the water, how you accomplish that is up to you!

Good luck, it's not an easy battle.

July 5th, 2012, 3:19 am #8

Thanks, Mike
We had fleas in our basement. I bought some Diatomaceous Earth and that along with Frontline on the cat got rid of them.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5210073_effec ... leas_.html

Do not use the stuff that goes in pool filters, the proper stuff is so safe that you can eat it. Use the food grade product.

Owen
Last edited by mailman7777777 on July 5th, 2012, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.