Heller Texan (to Harvard IIb) Graduated.... or very nearly!

.

Heller Texan (to Harvard IIb) Graduated.... or very nearly!

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 2nd, 2018, 4:10 am #1

Hello guys and gals,

The project to convert the Heller Texan in to a Boscombe Down Harvard IIb has almost been concluded, bar one small stripe to be painted on the antenna!

I managed to complete the decals this week, by burning the midnight oil... The upper wing and fuselage side roundels were from a Tasman decal set for the Frog Sea Venom, the fin flash from the Airfix Blenheim IV, the no step decals were from the Airfix Harvard IIb, the wheel hub numbers from an Airfix Lysander and the rest from the S&M set which I can highly recommend!!!!! I cut out the under wing codes from the decal film....

I unmasked the vacform canopy and can't say I was overly happy with the result! As my old school reports used to say.. "could do better"... I hate old school reports!!! But I want to find another way of doing canopy frames... any ideas welcome.. chaps.

On to the photos...

Near Finished 001.JPG

Near Finished 002.jpg Near Finished 003.JPG Near Finished 004.JPG Near Finished 005.JPG Near Finished 007.JPG Near Finished 008.JPG FT314 in company with the Academy Texan and a resin Munin NA16 with added rear fuselage from a Heller Texan to make it in to a RCAF Yale.


Near Finished 010.JPG Near Finished 011.JPG
Near Finished 009.JPG
Near Finished 009.JPG
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 5th, 2015, 5:16 am

June 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am #2

Ooooh, oooh, oooh, Simon, she's come up beautifully.
Very pretty in yellow.
I think you have a lot to be pleased about with this little conversion.
Very nicely done.

AP
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: September 9th, 2004, 3:43 am

June 2nd, 2018, 11:35 am #3

Excellent work, Sir.

For frames, I find that painted decal strip works nicely. Fasten it down with Future, and dip the whole canopy, once the frames (except the ones on the base) are on. Using strip on the frames which contact the fuselage can also cover a multitude of sins in seam an blending....
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 12th, 2008, 8:08 pm

June 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm #4

If you hadn't mentioned the canopy, I wouldn't have noticed. Looks great!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

June 3rd, 2018, 3:35 am #5

That really looks great Simon , well done old chap!!
And the others look terrific alongside - you could inspire me to get my shelf queens done as well, except i have become rather involved with the Grand Slam Lanc.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 3:06 pm

June 3rd, 2018, 12:59 pm #6

Finish bird looks very nice indeed Simon. Did you apply more yellow to tone down the prepainted panel lines? If not, that turned out well👌

Very nice scheme and quite the harvesting from the decals bank.

For framing, masking all the vertical frames, paint them. Next, remove these masks and then masked the horizontal frames and paint. This produces clean frame lines (usually 😉), though it takes time.

Great looking group photo too.

Cheers, Vic 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 9:41 am

June 3rd, 2018, 7:19 pm #7

Looks great! Very nice job indeed Simon.
Cheers,
Mark
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 4th, 2018, 7:07 am #8

AlbatrosPete wrote: Ooooh, oooh, oooh, Simon, she's come up beautifully.
Very pretty in yellow.
I think you have a lot to be pleased about with this little conversion.
Very nicely done.

AP
Thanks AP, glad you liked her.. it... model kit..
Simon
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 4th, 2018, 7:09 am #9

Old Man wrote: Excellent work, Sir.

For frames, I find that painted decal strip works nicely. Fasten it down with Future, and dip the whole canopy, once the frames (except the ones on the base) are on. Using strip on the frames which contact the fuselage can also cover a multitude of sins in seam an blending....
Thanks OM,
That is a good idea, I may well try that next time... It's just having gone to so much trouble I would like the frames to look sharper and more accurate..

regards

Simon
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 12:34 am

June 4th, 2018, 7:13 am #10

Vic Scheuerman wrote: Finish bird looks very nice indeed Simon. Did you apply more yellow to tone down the prepainted panel lines? If not, that turned out well👌

Very nice scheme and quite the harvesting from the decals bank.

For framing, masking all the vertical frames, paint them. Next, remove these masks and then masked the horizontal frames and paint. This produces clean frame lines (usually 😉), though it takes time.

Great looking group photo too.

Cheers, Vic 
Hi Vic,

No I decided not to airbrush more yellow I merely sprayed some Humbrol Satin Varnish and that, I feel, did the job. Thanks for the advice about painting frames, actually I have done this exact technique before and it works quite well, I did it on the Frog Avenger I am working on and yes it does the job!!! I'd say it is much easier and would take no more time than the time it took to mask off the whole canopy!

regards

Simon
Quote
Like
Share