Heller Morane-Saulnier 230, Part I

Heller Morane-Saulnier 230, Part I

February 1st, 2012, 5:46 am #1

Hi folks,

Here is another project I've been working on recently.

It's a small French 2-seater trainer from the interwar period. Many are still flying and one even represented a top-secret German monoplane for the WWI film, "The Blue Max".

I began with the cockpit, and after looking at photos online, it seemed possible that at least some were somewhat unpainted inside. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. The prominent "Heller" trademark was sanded off, and some detail scratched.

The kit engine is fairly detailed, but needs some clean-up. After taking this photo, I saw I didn't do a very good job of it.

I primed the airframe with some grey color to check the seams. I sanded down the raised rivets and panel lines. Handles and stirrups were constructed from stretched sprue.

The elevators were re-scribed after filling in the incorrect lines, and then painted.

I started work on the wing, but a few more coats will be required. The ailerons on the bottom half were missing, and so were scribed.

As always, I don't mind hearing your ideas and critiques. Until next time!
Last edited by Luno13 on February 1st, 2012, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm #2

I build one in my teens, for my Belgian Air Force collection and I didn't like it so much back then - it didn't have enough guns I think - but now I really like it, it's one of the better kits produced by Heller, and I wish I had time to build one again... but the next best thing is seeing one getting build here - and Luno, you are really doing it justice, I love the scratch build steps on the side - and that interior - very nice work

Looking forward to your choice of scheme

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI /End

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

February 1st, 2012, 9:48 pm #3

Hi folks,

It's a small French 2-seater trainer from the interwar period. Many are still flying and one even represented a top-secret German monoplane for the WWI film, "The Blue Max".

I began with the cockpit, and after looking at photos online, it seemed possible that at least some were somewhat unpainted inside. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. The prominent "Heller" trademark was sanded off, and some detail scratched.

The kit engine is fairly detailed, but needs some clean-up. After taking this photo, I saw I didn't do a very good job of it.

I primed the airframe with some grey color to check the seams. I sanded down the raised rivets and panel lines. Handles and stirrups were constructed from stretched sprue.

The elevators were re-scribed after filling in the incorrect lines, and then painted.

I started work on the wing, but a few more coats will be required. The ailerons on the bottom half were missing, and so were scribed.

I built this 20+ years ago but still remember the build. It was problem free - even fitting that parasol wing was easy. Also remember Heller forgot the ailerons on the lower wings. I didn't notice until after the model was finished!

Plenty of interesting colour schemes for this one, so I'm looking forward to see which you choose.

February 1st, 2012, 10:47 pm #4

Hi folks,

I was thinking about doing an "OOB" build in terms of the markings. There is such a wide variety of marking options, but since I've gone with the square elevators as presented in the kit, that limits my options a bit.

But nothing is set in stone. I'll see if I can find some aftermarket decals, just because you both asked, but if not, I'll just stick with what's in the box.

Thanks again for your comments,

Cheers

- PS: I really love building these older kits. They're way before my time, but they're esoteric, simple, cheap, and most of all, fun!

February 2nd, 2012, 1:46 pm #5

Hi folks,

Great work so far

February 3rd, 2012, 2:29 am #6

Hi folks,

I've never seen this kit; I eagerly follow your progress!

Stuart

February 5th, 2012, 7:26 am #7

Thanks everyone!! :) n/t