Heller 72nd P-39

Heller 72nd P-39

October 9th, 2017, 4:28 am #1

Hello, this is my first participation in a group build EVER. I have a hard time completing kits, so I think this will help motivate me. I'm going to build the Heller kit of the P-39 Airacobra, one of my favorite airplanes. (I will also build an example of the Revell P-39 at the same time).

I started yesterday and have made good progress already. The fuselage halves are together and fit very well. The instrument panel decal is from an old Superscale sheet.

Not much detail in the cockpit, but that's okay - I want a quick build.

Last edited by ChicagoTom on October 9th, 2017, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2017, 4:35 am #2

(Are these pictures too big??)

Don't know if you can tell, but the panel lines do not line up on the rear fuselage. So I've sanded them off and will rescribe and rivet later. I added a leftover instrument panel from another Heller P-39 kit to add something to the barren Revell cockpit (though at least the Revell kit has a headrest, unlike the Heller kit)

October 9th, 2017, 4:54 am #3

Hello, this is my first participation in a group build EVER. I have a hard time completing kits, so I think this will help motivate me. I'm going to build the Heller kit of the P-39 Airacobra, one of my favorite airplanes. (I will also build an example of the Revell P-39 at the same time).

I started yesterday and have made good progress already. The fuselage halves are together and fit very well. The instrument panel decal is from an old Superscale sheet.

What markings are you considering? It will be interesting to see how the models compare to each other. Welcome to the forum. I've learned a lot from these folks.

October 9th, 2017, 9:48 pm #4

(Are these pictures too big??)

Don't know if you can tell, but the panel lines do not line up on the rear fuselage. So I've sanded them off and will rescribe and rivet later. I added a leftover instrument panel from another Heller P-39 kit to add something to the barren Revell cockpit (though at least the Revell kit has a headrest, unlike the Heller kit)

than 'original' when posting from Imgur ( which I presume you are using).

October 11th, 2017, 4:38 pm #5

What markings are you considering? It will be interesting to see how the models compare to each other. Welcome to the forum. I've learned a lot from these folks.
Thanks very much for your encouragement!

I'm building the Heller as a Russian P-39Q, the "93" scheme with the playing cards:

For the Revell, I want a sharkmouth scheme. I love the Hell's Bell's scheme, but I'll kep that for a 48th build. So my options are "Hawkeye" from this old Superscale sheet:

Or the sharkmouth from this sheet from the new RS kit (#5, with the blue nose):

October 11th, 2017, 8:45 pm #6

I also have that old Microscale sheet... I still have to build many P-39s !

Nice start - the interior looks pretty adequate

Good idea to team it up with the old Revell kit - these old classics deserve all the attention they can get

William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Kora Models - Curtiss Wright CW-19R : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Modellbrno 2017 show report) - Part V (incl. Pilsenkit 2017 show report)
1/72 - Airfix - TBD-1 Devastator : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - Airfix - Fieseler Storch (What If) : Part I
1/72 - Academy - P-51D Mustang : Part I
1/144 - Mark I Models - DH Vampire FB.5/FB.52 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /End

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

October 11th, 2017, 11:48 pm #7

Nice start, keep up the good work. nt

October 12th, 2017, 4:08 pm #8

a