Heck! Tamiya Sturmovik has an UK announced price of £50!!! (about 80$) ...

Heck! Tamiya Sturmovik has an UK announced price of £50!!! (about 80$) ...

May 2nd, 2012, 5:35 pm #1

And in Japan it's about half that value! Both cases exclude postage, that as a matter of fact, for my country are quite identical.

But Man! What the heck is this, after all? Am I alone or is $80 quite a sum, but really quite a sum for such a tiny little kit? I don't know how to express properly my angry, but I think it's about time importers and distributors all around the world to realize that the customers (This means all of us!!!) are following simple links and they get quite upset when they are confronted with these unexplained divergences!

And BTW: The "suggested" retail price in UK is even higher than $80: In fact it is $89 for a tiny 1/48 single engine airplane ....

And then some moralist comes to the scene stating you must buy inside your country, even if you pay twice the cash for it without no explanation why something priced at 45$ raises to 85$ just because some middle man appeared in the process! That's enough! The one who loses, but the single one, is the brand: In this case Tamiya, and that's a true pity because their products are spectacular but this steps away customers instead of plugging them with the brand!

Really sorry for my frustration with this, my good fellows, really sorry Heck! $80!!! What will be next!!!

May 2nd, 2012, 5:54 pm #2

The Sturmovik was a BIG airplane so there is going to be a lot of plastic in the box! I don't think I will get one, just not my thing, but if I was a Sturmovik fan, I will guess this will be the best one ever produced in plastic.

May 2nd, 2012, 6:00 pm #3

And in Japan it's about half that value! Both cases exclude postage, that as a matter of fact, for my country are quite identical.

But Man! What the heck is this, after all? Am I alone or is $80 quite a sum, but really quite a sum for such a tiny little kit? I don't know how to express properly my angry, but I think it's about time importers and distributors all around the world to realize that the customers (This means all of us!!!) are following simple links and they get quite upset when they are confronted with these unexplained divergences!

And BTW: The "suggested" retail price in UK is even higher than $80: In fact it is $89 for a tiny 1/48 single engine airplane ....

And then some moralist comes to the scene stating you must buy inside your country, even if you pay twice the cash for it without no explanation why something priced at 45$ raises to 85$ just because some middle man appeared in the process! That's enough! The one who loses, but the single one, is the brand: In this case Tamiya, and that's a true pity because their products are spectacular but this steps away customers instead of plugging them with the brand!

Really sorry for my frustration with this, my good fellows, really sorry Heck! $80!!! What will be next!!!
remember the furor over Tamiya's new tool 1/48 Zero pricing? People were screaming their heads off at the $60 price tag.

Now you can find 'em for $25.

No need to be the first adopter here.

May 2nd, 2012, 6:03 pm #4

I will pick one up when they don't sell and someone is lettigng them go half price.

May 2nd, 2012, 6:04 pm #5

...when the Swordfish kits were released, who on Earth was going to pay nearly £40, more like £45 with the etched rigging set, for an obscure biplane.

How quickly people forget.

The Swordfish isn't a 'tiny little' aircraft and niether is the IL-2. I don't want an IL-2 but the RRP doesn't seem that unreasonable for a new-tool Tamiya quality kit of a big-arsed bomber.

And whats this with equating the physical size of the thing with its price? We make scale models!!!

I've got a tiny little 1/48th scale resin tank on my bench that cost me £80! Next to it is a damn great 1/35th scale torpedo boat that cost £100, they are both more than repaying the investment in the hours of pleasure I'm getting in building them!

If people want a Tamiya IL-2 they'll pay the price, or shop around and get it cheaper elsewhere, or be really cagey and wait a year or two and pick it up in a sale at some huge online mail-order outlet!

If you don't want to pay the price then don't buy one. Its not complicated!

May 2nd, 2012, 6:07 pm #6

The Sturmovik was a BIG airplane so there is going to be a lot of plastic in the box! I don't think I will get one, just not my thing, but if I was a Sturmovik fan, I will guess this will be the best one ever produced in plastic.
whether we like it or not a lot of us are getting "priced out" of the hobby. My MO is to snag a kit when it is on sale. Have also gone to 1/32 as they seem to give more bang for the buck. Have a lot of built 1/48, but can't afford that scale anymore when kits are $50 a whack and climbing. You would think with the economy the way it is prices would moderate, but it is after all a "hobby". It's not like you HAVE to build models. Maybe in the long run it will be good for the average modeler. Why? Because I am going to try scratch building some things and pass on the aftermarket, except for decals. Hope this doesn't come across as a rant, cause its not intended to be.

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

May 2nd, 2012, 6:15 pm #7

...if you want a nice 1/48 Sturmovik. That's a pretty big "if' in my book.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

May 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm #8

I'll try and get it on sale though. If they do more versions I'll probably buy those as well. The only thing that annoys me about the price is the fact that it hasn't got open bomb bays - disappointing.

May 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm #9

For a 1/48 kit of a decent sized plane, done by Tamiya, I think that price is in the right area.

The decent 1/48 kits by Trumpeter like the Su-24, F-111 and F-14 are all around that sort of price (if not more) so I don't see a real issue...the price differential is probably more to do with exchange rates, plus the importers will also expect to make some profit.

As soon as I find a job and start earning agin, the IL-2 will be on my shopping list (unless a Farliegh Fruitbat comes out first lol).

Graeme

May 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm #10

Geez, WHO pays list for their kits???? nt.