Heads up for anyone doing a 1/32 P-51D using the new EagleCals for Ridge Runner.....

Heads up for anyone doing a 1/32 P-51D using the new EagleCals for Ridge Runner.....

April 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm #1

The antiglare paint should be the std. shape in lieu of
the sets painting profile....for some reason it's shown
curving downward slightly. Photos of both R.Runners
show the regular tapered to the nose pattern.....found out a bit late on mine and had to alter the shape. Check
dem references constantly...if there are any references showing it sloped downward....DON"T SHOW ME...heh...!!!

Keep your Sprues Empty

April 13th, 2012, 8:27 pm #2

So if I may- could I pose it here please as hopefully you will get some pretty knowledgeable readers/ replies.

I think the attached photo is the last Ridge Runner- but I cannot make out what the round red thing is near the data block- is it a painted design/logo, or is it a piece of unusual Mustang equipment?

Thanks

April 13th, 2012, 8:39 pm #3

It's the same amber light that's under the wing, they're on both sides where your pic shows and also inside the star of the fuselage insignia.  Sure the Mustang experts will weigh in with photos, I've got some on the home 'puter I think, if not there's a dead-on computer sim model that has them on it, I'll post that when I find it...

April 13th, 2012, 8:43 pm #4

So if I may- could I pose it here please as hopefully you will get some pretty knowledgeable readers/ replies.

I think the attached photo is the last Ridge Runner- but I cannot make out what the round red thing is near the data block- is it a painted design/logo, or is it a piece of unusual Mustang equipment?

Thanks

n/t

April 13th, 2012, 8:48 pm #5

-try finding swathes of photos of this little P-51 footnote..

April 13th, 2012, 9:58 pm #6

It's the same amber light that's under the wing, they're on both sides where your pic shows and also inside the star of the fuselage insignia.  Sure the Mustang experts will weigh in with photos, I've got some on the home 'puter I think, if not there's a dead-on computer sim model that has them on it, I'll post that when I find it...
45u7

Keep your Sprues Empty

April 13th, 2012, 11:15 pm #7

"In select units of the 8th Fighter Command (in England), formation lead/flight lead P-51D's were sometimes seen to have been modified with the addition of two amber lights, mounted to the fuselage, on each side, to serve as formation guidence aids. It was quite a rare modification, and I am not exactly sure if it either was done at the base of operations, or undertaken at one of the bigger USAAF depots in England. The lights themselves were the standard-issue amber recognition lights (as seen on the lower wingtips and undersurfaces of many Allied aircraft), and in order to control the lights, an additional toggle switch was mounted near to the exisiting recognition lights switches, on the main electrical panel.

In one of the featured variants of the product, "Butch Baby", this is fully recreated, as shown:"

There may be more info at their site: www.warbirdsim.com

April 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm #8

Weaver's unnamed nude

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Ai ... e6eb3e3c29

and Butch Baby, of course.

April 14th, 2012, 12:29 am #9

"In select units of the 8th Fighter Command (in England), formation lead/flight lead P-51D's were sometimes seen to have been modified with the addition of two amber lights, mounted to the fuselage, on each side, to serve as formation guidence aids. It was quite a rare modification, and I am not exactly sure if it either was done at the base of operations, or undertaken at one of the bigger USAAF depots in England. The lights themselves were the standard-issue amber recognition lights (as seen on the lower wingtips and undersurfaces of many Allied aircraft), and in order to control the lights, an additional toggle switch was mounted near to the exisiting recognition lights switches, on the main electrical panel.

In one of the featured variants of the product, "Butch Baby", this is fully recreated, as shown:"

There may be more info at their site: www.warbirdsim.com
His research is first class, you can take it to the bank.

Christian A.
Christian A.

April 14th, 2012, 12:57 am #10

...I've got tons of screen shots saved from his posts on the various flight sim boards and P-51SIG, plus I've downloaded some of his paint packs and a plugin to open and view them in Photoshop. I'd say his sim screenshots have now become my go-to reference for the P-51. I wish I had a nice powerful new computer so I could run FSX and his sim, maybe when this one craps out...