Heading out to Little Bighorn Battlefield in July...

Heading out to Little Bighorn Battlefield in July...

June 23rd, 2012, 6:00 pm #1

and am wondering if anyone here has visited here lately?
Looking for sightseeing ideas, etc for me and the boy!
Thanks, Dan

June 23rd, 2012, 6:08 pm #2

on the battle it can be very interesting. Most battlefield sites are pretty boring if you don't know the history, or at least have some background knowledge. One of the most interesting scenes in the movie "Patton" was when he described a battlefield and what happened there in ancient times.

June 23rd, 2012, 7:01 pm #3

Thanks, Dan
Seeing the trail of crosses (marking where individual troops fell)that lead wayyy up from the grassy valley in the distance to the crest of the hill is a sobering view. And to walk down to where the forward troops looked across the river and realized how many Sioux were encamped....ooooweeeee!

Phil

June 23rd, 2012, 8:43 pm #4

Thanks, Dan
First, read thishttp://www.amazon.com/Archaeology-Histo ... 0806129980 . It is a really good look at what happened that day, based on the evidence left behind combined with eyewitness accounts. Check out the museum first-small, but packed with artifacts and period pieces. Start your tour at the end of the access road where Custer and Reno split instead of at Last Stand Hill. It's easier to follow the battle from where it started than where it "ended". And plan to spend the better part of the day, as there's a lot to take in.

If you're so inclined, to the south in Wyoming there's the Fort Phil Kearny site, the Fetterman Massacre site and the Wagon Box site. There are also a couple more battlefields in that area, but I didn't have time to check them out.

Ken

edit: There's also the Rosebud Battlefield State Park, where the Sioux checked Crook's forces before he could meet up with Custer.

Last edited by Ken Freundt on June 23rd, 2012, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2012, 11:21 pm #5

for taking some time about this. Me and the boy will do some reading before we get there.
D

June 23rd, 2012, 11:33 pm #6

First, read thishttp://www.amazon.com/Archaeology-Histo ... 0806129980 . It is a really good look at what happened that day, based on the evidence left behind combined with eyewitness accounts. Check out the museum first-small, but packed with artifacts and period pieces. Start your tour at the end of the access road where Custer and Reno split instead of at Last Stand Hill. It's easier to follow the battle from where it started than where it "ended". And plan to spend the better part of the day, as there's a lot to take in.

If you're so inclined, to the south in Wyoming there's the Fort Phil Kearny site, the Fetterman Massacre site and the Wagon Box site. There are also a couple more battlefields in that area, but I didn't have time to check them out.

Ken

edit: There's also the Rosebud Battlefield State Park, where the Sioux checked Crook's forces before he could meet up with Custer.

thanks

June 24th, 2012, 1:50 pm #7

Ken

'The Last Stand' is very recent and culls together all sides into a very readable and engaging story, I for one thought it was superb. 'Custerology' delves into the role Custer plays in our cultural mythos and how the timing of the Greasy Grass battle couldn't have come at a worse time for the tribes gathered.

'Archaeology & History' is pretty technical but good if you like battlefield forensics, the 1st one I listed above takes their info into account.

Cheers
DEATH to anything 72nd scale, LuftCrap-ola, Cars, and Anime!

June 24th, 2012, 10:00 pm #8

Thanks, Dan
It's hard to get lost 'cause you can just "follow the arrows"! Er, sorry.

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

June 25th, 2012, 6:34 am #9

for taking some time about this. Me and the boy will do some reading before we get there.
D
And you know we'll be expecting a full phototour of what you and your boy observe when you get back

Ken

June 25th, 2012, 2:08 pm #10

Ken

A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West by James Donovan