Haynes Manual on the RouteMaster Bus (1954 and onwards)

Haynes Manual on the RouteMaster Bus (1954 and onwards)

April 3rd, 2012, 3:44 am #1

A few posts down from this Rodger Cockburn speaks about the Haynes Enthusiasts' Manual for the RouteMaster Bus (1954 and onwards). I purchased the kit from Hannants a few weeks ago. I took Rodger's advice and ordered a copy from Amazon.com for $29.95 plus tax (shipping was free). It came today and what a great resource for the doubledecker bus! Lots of good color pictures to inspire you to paint your kit with. 149 pages of text and pictures, plus 15 pages of Appendix's. The book is hard bound.

If you're looking for some resource material you should think hard about picking up a copy! Now if we can only find some aftermarket decals!

Thanks Rodger!

Glenn Ryder
Brier, WA
USA
Last edited by 53ryder on April 3rd, 2012, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 3rd, 2012, 5:19 pm #2

It was very helpful of the chap doing a build on another site to mention it as I didn't realize there was a Haynes manual.

I was interested to see the first Routemaster entered service with a different front cover to the radiator and lights. I'm glad they changed it!

April 3rd, 2012, 7:32 pm #3

...underneath the body somewhere's. Apparently there was a limit of 27 feet for the body length so to get the radiator in they put in under the body. Later, I forget what year, the overall length of a bus was increased to 30 feet which allowed the radiator to be moved to the more traditonal location on the front end of the body.

BTW...I'm a transit operator (bus driver) here for King County/Metro (Seattle) for over 30 years. So when I saw the news about a double-decker bus kit coming out last year I knew that it would be one kit I couldn't pass up.

Glenn
Last edited by 53ryder on April 3rd, 2012, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2012, 6:53 pm #4

Thanks for the info Glenn, I must read it properly before I get too much into the kit or I will make some God awful blunder!

I bet you have seen some changes in those 30 years.

I remember riding in Routemasters and I was always interested that some drivers had the blind behind them pulled down and others didn't. It was interesting watching the driver working and in those days they seemed more skillful than today. Maybe that isn't a fair observation but that is how it seems.