Hasegawa T-33...your basic T-Bird

Hasegawa T-33...your basic T-Bird

June 5th, 2012, 11:37 am #1

Here's my 1:72 Hasegawa T-33. The mold is from the 1970s. I built it out of the box, so there's not a lot of details present. The cockpit is rudimentary, with no walls and no control columns. The seats are one-piece; and you can see past the front cockpit floor thru the front landing gear bay. Most external detail is raised.

...But I wanted to build something relatively simple, to take contest, for a change, rather than just showing up empty-handed.

The model went together rather fast. The only real problem is that the starboard wing tip tank hangs kind of off-kilter.

I was thinking of doing a natural metal T-Bird; but my "hearty" sanding left an un-polishable surface. So I opted for an ADC gray machine. In this case, my ADC paint consisted of a bottle of Testors MM RLM 76 enamel, lightened with 200 drops of flat white.

The squadron markings came from an old MicroScale F-106 sheet, which has decals for 3 Delta Darts, plus a single T-33 from the 87th FIS. I believe these particular tip tank markings were used during William Tell '72 by the squadron [Red Bulls, whose main aircraft, at that time, was the '106].

So there it is. I guess recent T-33 releases have eclipsed the old Hasegawa offering in terms of finesse and maybe even availability. But if you have one in your stash, or see one at the vending tables, next contest, give it a try...you might indeed enjoy the results.

--Bill Retoff

June 5th, 2012, 5:41 pm #2

Somebody told me last week that it is great to see some of these "Stash Queens" built, to see the light of day. Your build would look great on anyone's display shelf. Great photography, too. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 5th, 2012, 10:43 pm #3

...for the kind words. There's much to be said for the hidden goodies in any modeller's kit stash. This one was pretty much a fun build, from start to finish.
The finished T-33 was placed in one of those light boxes for the photos, and shot with 6M camera capacity setting.
Thanks again, Larry.
--Bill

June 6th, 2012, 2:05 am #4

Here's my 1:72 Hasegawa T-33. The mold is from the 1970s. I built it out of the box, so there's not a lot of details present. The cockpit is rudimentary, with no walls and no control columns. The seats are one-piece; and you can see past the front cockpit floor thru the front landing gear bay. Most external detail is raised.

...But I wanted to build something relatively simple, to take contest, for a change, rather than just showing up empty-handed.

The model went together rather fast. The only real problem is that the starboard wing tip tank hangs kind of off-kilter.

I was thinking of doing a natural metal T-Bird; but my "hearty" sanding left an un-polishable surface. So I opted for an ADC gray machine. In this case, my ADC paint consisted of a bottle of Testors MM RLM 76 enamel, lightened with 200 drops of flat white.

The squadron markings came from an old MicroScale F-106 sheet, which has decals for 3 Delta Darts, plus a single T-33 from the 87th FIS. I believe these particular tip tank markings were used during William Tell '72 by the squadron [Red Bulls, whose main aircraft, at that time, was the '106].

So there it is. I guess recent T-33 releases have eclipsed the old Hasegawa offering in terms of finesse and maybe even availability. But if you have one in your stash, or see one at the vending tables, next contest, give it a try...you might indeed enjoy the results.

--Bill Retoff
For some reason I am currently building one of these also. My sanding has also removed a lot of detail. My bird will be in SEA camo, 57th FIS. Very nice work.

Airrex
Last edited by airrex on June 6th, 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 6th, 2012, 8:50 pm #5

...found it easy [too easy!] to lose those finely-embossed panel lines on the Has T-33.
Thanks for your comments. Hope your 57th FIS T-Bird build goes great, Airrex. It'd be fabulous to see photos, if you wanna post 'em.
--Bill

June 6th, 2012, 9:21 pm #6

Somebody told me last week that it is great to see some of these "Stash Queens" built, to see the light of day. Your build would look great on anyone's display shelf. Great photography, too. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
/t

June 7th, 2012, 10:54 am #7

...appreciate the kind sentiments. Seems that, as the years go by, I'm drifting away from intricate, high-stress builds towards more "plain ol' fun" projects.
--Bill

June 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm #8

--Bill Retoff
A real beauty! n/t

June 7th, 2012, 5:25 pm #9

--Bill Retoff
An outstanding piece of work there, Bill! A nice, smooth finish overall, and those markings are just TOO COOL!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

June 8th, 2012, 9:41 pm #10

A real beauty! n/t
...glad you enjoyed the photos...a fun, no-frills build, it was.--Bill