Hasegawa Rant..

Hasegawa Rant..

May 14th, 2012, 3:04 pm #1

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have been working on the 1/32 Hasegawa P-40E Aleutian Tiger boxing, and I must say, I am struggling with getting the multi-peice fuselage together. I consider myself an assembler , and the fit isn't bad, but it's removing the darn seams where the front and back fuselage parts meet that is killing me. 4 days of filling and sanding to no avail. I've tried CA + super glue, Mr Surfacer 500, Squadron White & Green, and those darn seams are still there. I am at a point where I might just leave it and move on, but it would bug me. Is there a magical technique I amissing, or am I complaining too much?

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success
Last edited by BradinBC on May 14th, 2012, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 3:20 pm #2

superglue + talc. Use thick superglue and make sure the talc is bicarbonate free.

Dave Gibson

May 14th, 2012, 3:53 pm #3

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have been working on the 1/32 Hasegawa P-40E Aleutian Tiger boxing, and I must say, I am struggling with getting the multi-peice fuselage together. I consider myself an assembler , and the fit isn't bad, but it's removing the darn seams where the front and back fuselage parts meet that is killing me. 4 days of filling and sanding to no avail. I've tried CA + super glue, Mr Surfacer 500, Squadron White & Green, and those darn seams are still there. I am at a point where I might just leave it and move on, but it would bug me. Is there a magical technique I amissing, or am I complaining too much?

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

Revell's 1/72nd Tornado F3 along the fuselage join.

In the end I decided I was trying too damned hard and and suspected that all the goop I had applied had softened the plastic so I set it aside for a week after removing most of the goop and let it cure.

I then went back to it and applied Milliput which has no solvents in. I applied it thinly and smoothed it out with a wet Cotton Wool bud. Then when I was satisfied I had the right contour gently smoothed it with wet and dry used wet.

It worked and a model that was going to fly into a wall is in the cabinet.

Don't be disheartened.

May 14th, 2012, 4:03 pm #4

Hi Guys/Gals,

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

I have not built that kit so I can't comment on it personally but in general I find the best way to deal with seams is to not have them in the first place. I spend more time assembling the parts for the best fit I can get to avoid having to hide seams later. For instance, with something like a multi piece fuselage of your typical single engine WWII fighter I'll assemble all the parts to make up one side then put the two sides together, regardless whether the instructions say otherwise. This might leave gaps down the center seam or require some sanding but that will be much easier to deal with than steps around the circumference of the fuselage.
If you have to deal with a step like that you probably need to use more putty that you'd think. I often see people put some putty along the seam, maybe 5mm wide on the low side of the seam where it would probably be better to add more putty further away to blend the low side into the higher side.

May 14th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

I have found over the years that some batches of plastic react badly to either cement or liquid poly. The 1970's Frog plastic on their Buccaneer was awful stuff.

May 14th, 2012, 4:26 pm #6

... carefully aligning the front and rear surfaces of each half, is absolutely foolproof and in fact the only way to go get the job done reliably.

Rest easy: The plastic that Hasegawa uses in its new kits has little if anything in common with that employed by Frog in the 1970s.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.
Last edited by Charles_Metz on May 14th, 2012, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 4:33 pm #7

Hi Guys/Gals,

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

as it happened to me on that same kit, but I wasn't using solvent-based glues or putties. Might be too late for you now, but I finally tamed it by laminting strips and sheets of scrap plastic inside the fuselage, behind the joint, to make it far more rigid. Did this of course, before assembling the halves, as noted above. Also used Milliput on the exterior, which dries harder than most putties. The combination finally solved the problem.

Don't be too hard on Hasegawa! That kit is a beauty, and who knows how long Tamiya would take to get around to doing it.

May 14th, 2012, 4:35 pm #8

I have not built that kit so I can't comment on it personally but in general I find the best way to deal with seams is to not have them in the first place. I spend more time assembling the parts for the best fit I can get to avoid having to hide seams later. For instance, with something like a multi piece fuselage of your typical single engine WWII fighter I'll assemble all the parts to make up one side then put the two sides together, regardless whether the instructions say otherwise. This might leave gaps down the center seam or require some sanding but that will be much easier to deal with than steps around the circumference of the fuselage.
If you have to deal with a step like that you probably need to use more putty that you'd think. I often see people put some putty along the seam, maybe 5mm wide on the low side of the seam where it would probably be better to add more putty further away to blend the low side into the higher side.
Hi,

I went with what has been recommended in the past, in that I joined the front and back parts of the fuselage first, then my plan was to mate the left and right fuselages together once the seams were dealt with.

Brad

May 14th, 2012, 5:07 pm #9

Hi Guys/Gals,

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

I'm pretty sure it was the kit and not me. I joined rear to front before left to right and there were still problems. The contours between front and back were slightly different and what was really strange, some of the panel lines lined up but some didn't. To complicate the clean up was all the rivet detail I didn't want to lose.

May 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm #10

Hi Guys/Gals,

Rant off..

Thanks
Brad

He has done an excellent step by step on how he assembled his P-40, including how he addressed the challenges you are having.

HTH

Scott