Hasegawa Ju188 completed

Hasegawa Ju188 completed

January 22nd, 2011, 4:08 pm #1

This is Hasegawa's 1:72 Ju188 which I've just completed. It will be appearing in Model Airplane International in the next few months where you can read all about the build and see lots more photos. I've built it to represent Hans Altrogge's aircraft as it appears in photos in Michael Ullmanns book 'Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945'. Hope you like it.

?rot=1

?rot=1
Last edited by alanprice-1 on January 23rd, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2011, 5:54 pm #2

to post here or e-mail me some more info on this particular aircraft?
You just gave me a great idea to do this plane in "my preferred scale" - 1/48

thanks!

Dmitri

January 22nd, 2011, 6:05 pm #3

As this is a build for tha magazine I'm not able to post more photographs or put too much information out on the build as it will be in the magazine. However, that doea not mean I cant dicsuss the historical elements with you as its actually based on one of the verions Hasegawa give you. I did do quite a bit of research and I believe this to be a more correct interpretation of the aircraft. What would you like to know Dimitri?

January 22nd, 2011, 6:46 pm #4

that's what I meant to say;
maybe just the unit number, and 1/48 decal variant advice?

thanks!

January 22nd, 2011, 7:07 pm #5

This is Hasegawa's 1:72 Ju188 which I've just completed. It will be appearing in Model Airplane International in the next few months where you can read all about the build and see lots more photos. I've built it to represent Hans Altrogge's aircraft as it appears in photos in Michael Ullmanns book 'Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945'. Hope you like it.

?rot=1

?rot=1
Very well done and superbly painted, It's my favorite version of the JU-88's family.

Serge Dompierre
Last edited by Serge Dompierre on January 22nd, 2011, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

January 22nd, 2011, 7:22 pm #6

?rot=1

?rot=1
That finish looks great!!

Brandon

January 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm #7

that's what I meant to say;
maybe just the unit number, and 1/48 decal variant advice?

thanks!

I did quite a bit of research on this to get what I beleive is an accurate colour scheme. References for this are Classic Colours Kampfflieger Volume 3 and Ullmanns book I mentioned earlier. It is from summer 1944 and represents Hans Altrogge's aricraft of 1./KG66, Z6+TN, at the time that an unusal 5th Staffel in the one Gruppe existed. I beleive Ullman's details of the colours to be more accurate than Kampfflieger as after carfull examination it is apparent that the photos in Kampfflieger are not all of the same aircraft.

Markings are very simple, minimal black outline Balkenkreuz above the wing and large white ones below. The side markings have the white angles oversprayed in grey. I think this should be darker than the Hasegawa transferrs, on the photos it looks like it might be RLM 75. Minimal black outline Swastikas.

The patch on the starboard engine cowl looks like a repainted area on the photos, the colour is a guess based on the contrast of the image, I used RLM02.

Last point, Ullmann thought the spinners were half red - the Staffel colour and that is what I went with though I have a feeling they might have been 1/3 red looking at the photos now - take your pick!

Hope that helps you Dmitri!
Last edited by alanprice-1 on January 22nd, 2011, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2011, 10:53 pm #8

?rot=1

?rot=1
Excellent work!!!

January 23rd, 2011, 4:27 pm #9

I did quite a bit of research on this to get what I beleive is an accurate colour scheme. References for this are Classic Colours Kampfflieger Volume 3 and Ullmanns book I mentioned earlier. It is from summer 1944 and represents Hans Altrogge's aricraft of 1./KG66, Z6+TN, at the time that an unusal 5th Staffel in the one Gruppe existed. I beleive Ullman's details of the colours to be more accurate than Kampfflieger as after carfull examination it is apparent that the photos in Kampfflieger are not all of the same aircraft.

Markings are very simple, minimal black outline Balkenkreuz above the wing and large white ones below. The side markings have the white angles oversprayed in grey. I think this should be darker than the Hasegawa transferrs, on the photos it looks like it might be RLM 75. Minimal black outline Swastikas.

The patch on the starboard engine cowl looks like a repainted area on the photos, the colour is a guess based on the contrast of the image, I used RLM02.

Last point, Ullmann thought the spinners were half red - the Staffel colour and that is what I went with though I have a feeling they might have been 1/3 red looking at the photos now - take your pick!

Hope that helps you Dmitri!

January 23rd, 2011, 5:33 pm #10

?rot=1

?rot=1
Thanks to everyone for the great comments!