Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4C, can it be made from a RF-4B or RF-4E?

Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4C, can it be made from a RF-4B or RF-4E?

June 14th, 2012, 7:08 am #1

I would like to make a RF-4C, but it seems the Hasegawas kits are pretty rare. The RF-4B and RF-4E kits are common. Did Hasegawa box the same kits with different decals for these three jets or are there different sprues in the boxes? Can I make a RF-4C with the others?

June 14th, 2012, 2:13 pm #2

The major change for you will be the replacing the long exhaust cans in the kit for the shorter ones used on the RF-4C. There will be other changes that someone will come along an enumerate in a few minutes
As for an RF-4B, that will take a lot more work (thinner wings on the earlier model, for example)

If you're in the US, I'd be up for a trade of my RF-4E for your RF-4C If interested contact me at the above email address

This is the one I've got:

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

June 14th, 2012, 2:16 pm #3

RF-4Cs have "Navy style" inner pylons, Es have "AF style" ones.
Fernando

June 14th, 2012, 4:48 pm #4

I would like to make a RF-4C, but it seems the Hasegawas kits are pretty rare. The RF-4B and RF-4E kits are common. Did Hasegawa box the same kits with different decals for these three jets or are there different sprues in the boxes? Can I make a RF-4C with the others?
If I get the shorter afterburner cans and the Navy style pylons, I can make an Rf-4C from and RF-4E, but not an RF-4B (differnce being the thickness in the wings). Is this correct?

June 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm #5

so you could only build one of 10(?) Marine RF-4Bs with the kit. All of the other RF-4Bs had the thin wings.

To get an RF-4C from the B kit, you'll need:
-Unlsotted stabilators (Royale Resin sells some)
-Short afterburner nozzles (Cobra Company has some very nice ones that are way cheaper than Aires' or Eduard's)
-Keep the Navy-style inboard pylons
-Air Force F-4C cockpit with the RF's front instrument panel
-Air Force-style wheels
-Air Force-style seats, or MB Mk. 5 seats for an early RF-4C
-Air Force-style nose gear door
-Delete the Navy refueling door next to the cockpit and scribe a USAF-style one on the fuselage spine
-Delete the catapult hooks & their indentions from under the wings
-I can't recall, but there may be some Navy antennae here and there on the wing & fuselage that need to be deleted.

That's off the top of my head. Did I forget anything, guys?

Ben

June 15th, 2012, 2:42 am #6

The major change for you will be the replacing the long exhaust cans in the kit for the shorter ones used on the RF-4C. There will be other changes that someone will come along an enumerate in a few minutes
As for an RF-4B, that will take a lot more work (thinner wings on the earlier model, for example)

If you're in the US, I'd be up for a trade of my RF-4E for your RF-4C If interested contact me at the above email address

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Oops! Sorry read things bass ackwards. n/t
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

June 18th, 2012, 10:07 am #7

Here's a response from an earlier thread. I find it quite useful.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1205077804

HTH
Christian

June 18th, 2012, 1:30 pm #8

so you could only build one of 10(?) Marine RF-4Bs with the kit. All of the other RF-4Bs had the thin wings.

To get an RF-4C from the B kit, you'll need:
-Unlsotted stabilators (Royale Resin sells some)
-Short afterburner nozzles (Cobra Company has some very nice ones that are way cheaper than Aires' or Eduard's)
-Keep the Navy-style inboard pylons
-Air Force F-4C cockpit with the RF's front instrument panel
-Air Force-style wheels
-Air Force-style seats, or MB Mk. 5 seats for an early RF-4C
-Air Force-style nose gear door
-Delete the Navy refueling door next to the cockpit and scribe a USAF-style one on the fuselage spine
-Delete the catapult hooks & their indentions from under the wings
-I can't recall, but there may be some Navy antennae here and there on the wing & fuselage that need to be deleted.

That's off the top of my head. Did I forget anything, guys?

Ben

June 23rd, 2012, 5:32 pm #9

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

As far as the F-4 B wing goes The first 34 RF-4Bs (BuNos 151975/151982 and 152089/153113) retained the powerplants and the basic airframe of the F-4B. However, the last twelve (BuNos 153114, 153115, and 157342/157351) were built with the wide wheels and the "thick" wing of the F-4J. So not all had the thin wing. Not to mention the wing can be thinned out in about an hour with basic modeling skills. I just did it on this build.

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=20120

Brandon

June 23rd, 2012, 5:35 pm #10

to be sure. But they do have the short exhausts, and so does the RF-4C.

Brandon