Happy Fathers' day/brag about your Dad!!!!!

Happy Fathers' day/brag about your Dad!!!!!

June 17th, 2012, 12:50 pm #1

Russell C Rutman
Steel worker,baseball player,hunter,fisher. Taught high school math after being the first in his family to graduate college(GI Bill). Survivor of Pearl Harbor,Midway,Java Sea,Savo Island and Tassaforonga,Overlord and others as a FDCO on heavy cruisers.
Husband,brother,Uncle and........
DAD!!!
Thanks you Dad and all Fathers on this Fathers' day
J

June 17th, 2012, 1:50 pm #2

I was just bragging about him the other day to someone.

He was a farmer, 8th grade education, drafted into the Army in late 1943. He got to Normandy in July '44, assigned to the 2nd ID. Brest, St. Lo and then on thru the fall till he was in the Battle of the Bulge. Survived that, then was wounded in Spring of '45. Shipped back to England, then on to home. Got a small wound pension for the rest of his life.

He and my mom raised a large family on very little money. My first paycheck as an E-1 was bigger than his was at the same time. I was amazed to find that out as an 18 year old noob.

Cheers Dad!
Steve

June 17th, 2012, 1:54 pm #3

Russell C Rutman
Steel worker,baseball player,hunter,fisher. Taught high school math after being the first in his family to graduate college(GI Bill). Survivor of Pearl Harbor,Midway,Java Sea,Savo Island and Tassaforonga,Overlord and others as a FDCO on heavy cruisers.
DAD!!!
J
Aero engineer, retired Sr Design Engineer for Goodyear Aerospace. Held 14 pattents for various weapon systems.

Did the pen on velum design work that put the first computer driven night sign on the sides of the Goodyear blimps. Made a three dimentional sign appear flat and square from the ground.

Was a mobile radio operator in the 9th AF following General Patton across Europe from D-Day+3 to the end of hostilities. Primary duty was "rescue Charlie". When US aircraft called for a mayday, his team broke in on that radio frequency and gave the endangered crew a heading to the neaarest airfield in allied hands.

He gave me aviation' full scale flying, RC flying, Free flight, plastic modeling.

He'll be 89 this September and plays softball 4 times a week with a 600 batting average!

Thanks Dad! I Love you!

June 17th, 2012, 2:16 pm #4

Russell C Rutman
DAD!!!
J
Raised on a NC farm, member of a nationally recognized square dancing troop that performed for the King of the UK, Served in the Natinal Guard and US Army, Normandy and Battle of the Bulge,
survivor,electrician, marksman, hunter,fisherman, wood worker extroudinaire, a good role model,husband,son, dad and granddad !

Thanks dad I miss you everyday and thanks to all fathers today.
Hub

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

June 17th, 2012, 3:03 pm #5

My dad passed 32 years ago. He was a great modeler. scratch built everything. I have two of his models from the 50's on display. He join the army in Oct. 1941. He served in Alaska first on the Aleutian's . Than he was shipped to europe in 1944. He drew maps. He was awarded a Pacific bronze star and a European bronze star. A very quiet man worked in a factory all his life. but he produced some of the most beutiful models I've ever seen.
I miss him.
Rod

June 17th, 2012, 3:13 pm #6

Russell C Rutman
DAD!!!
J
Regular Army 1939 - on his way to flight training when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Bombadier with 358th BS, 303rd BG, - Hell's Angels. Flew 45 combat missions including Lead Bombadier, Low Group, 2nd daylight raid on Berlin; wounded on this mission - contiued to fly. Ditched in English Channel once. Got out of military after WW II, (Mom's idea) went back a year later, as a M/Sgt. Went to Korea - 4th Fighter Wing, Dec 1950 to July 1952. Assigned 89th Special Missions Sq. 1959. Often crewed on Air Force One. Retired 1964. Died of effects of wounds Memorial Day 1971 at West Point Base Hospital. He was 49 when he passed.

June 17th, 2012, 3:39 pm #7

Russell C Rutman
DAD!!!
J
I got my love for modeling from him... Happy Fathers day to all...

Scott Gentry

June 17th, 2012, 3:49 pm #8

Russell C Rutman
DAD!!!
J
Some of you may know my dad from his writings about the PBY, F7F, PV, etc. for Squadron Signal and many others.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1936, ended up at Pensacola in '38 and stayed in the Navy until 1964, when he retired as a Captain. He flew PBYs in North Atlantic and the South Pacific, then went back for more, island hopping in Venturas. Lots more adventures after that in AJs, P2Vs, etc. If that wasn't enough, after the Navy he worked for Grumman and helped the astronauts learn to "fly" the Lunar Module.

He is still with us, although, sadly, a victim of Alzheimer's for the past 12 years. So many stories never got told.

My advice.....you guys who can, go hug your dad, tell him you love him, and get him to tell you stories while he can. You will both be glad you did.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

June 17th, 2012, 4:03 pm #9

North Atlantic and later flew in the Pacific. He told me some great stories about his experieces including one when the U.S. Navy shot his plane up. He is gone now these last two years..miss him terribly. Happy Fathers Day dad.
Ken

June 17th, 2012, 4:20 pm #10

Russell C Rutman
DAD!!!
J

Pop is third from the right in the back row. He is with his buddies from HQ Company, First Marine Division. He served at Pelileu and Okinawa. He peformed Occupation Duty in China. He was recalled for the Korean War and served as a Drill Instructor at Camp Pendleton. He is my hero. He worked hard to make the American Dream real for my Mom and us kids. Semper Fi, Pop! Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on June 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.