Had a bit of hail today in U.K.

Had a bit of hail today in U.K.

June 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm #1

i know in some other countries this is probably not unusual but for us in leicestershire U.K. it`s a first.

and

got home from work and saw the table, thought the lad had got bored, the missus saved these in the freezer for me to see,
the house got off quite lightly compared to some but the missus`s car is a write off as is the garden.

June 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm #2

We had our roof replaced two years ago due to hail damage.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

June 28th, 2012, 10:48 pm #3

i know in some other countries this is probably not unusual but for us in leicestershire U.K. it`s a first.

and

got home from work and saw the table, thought the lad had got bored, the missus saved these in the freezer for me to see,
the house got off quite lightly compared to some but the missus`s car is a write off as is the garden.
It has to be a serious storm for that. Any you are approaching softball size hail with some of those in the picture.

I've experienced golf ball sized hail and it was scary enough.
Last edited by Laid-Back-Jim on June 28th, 2012, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 10:49 pm #4

and

with one of those things. That could do some serious damage.

Roy

June 28th, 2012, 11:03 pm #5

It has to be a serious storm for that. Any you are approaching softball size hail with some of those in the picture.

I've experienced golf ball sized hail and it was scary enough.
A few years ago at a drag race near Dallas they got caught by a storm, talk about destroy some expensive stuff! Aluminum and fiberglass don't hold up to well under those conditions! Race cars, trailers, tow rigs, and one guy got hit in the face by one and suffered a broken nose! Mom Nature can be tough!

Old Digger Pilot

June 29th, 2012, 3:54 am #6

and

...so don't think we routinely suffer that kind of abuse. Sorry for the damage you incurred. That's tough, but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Regards,

Lee G.

June 29th, 2012, 2:27 pm #7

and

I had the same experience in 2009. It lasted 3min. After that not only my house was seriously damaged, (Total repair cost was about 27.000,--, all paid by insurance) but the whole village where I live was ruined. In our ´town 50% of all roofs were destroyed, in the neighbour village a clean 100% of them were simply gone!

The biggest hailstones had about 13cm in diameter (no typo) for you not metric guys we are talking about 5 inch !!!

Thats what my neighbourhood looked like the next day....

No fun at all!

Cheers

Rene

Keep on modeling
René
www.usns.biz

June 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm #8

A few years ago at a drag race near Dallas they got caught by a storm, talk about destroy some expensive stuff! Aluminum and fiberglass don't hold up to well under those conditions! Race cars, trailers, tow rigs, and one guy got hit in the face by one and suffered a broken nose! Mom Nature can be tough!

Old Digger Pilot
So far, I've had to replace three roofs due to hail damage. The last big hail storm we had hit a car dealership and wrecked a lot full of new BMWs. It was several million dollars in damage to businesses and homes but no injuries. Hail was lemon to orange sized and very hard. I've been in one hail storm that was golf ball sized but the stones were soft and shattered on impact. These big ones didn't shatter, they just richocheted!

MB

June 30th, 2012, 4:33 pm #9

LOL the biggest I've seen in S.E. Texas is the golf ball variety, But I've seen bigger in the Dallas area! and even as far south as Livingston. But it can happen about any where Mom Nature decides!

Old Digger Pilot