GW TBD Devastator

GW TBD Devastator

April 9th, 2012, 1:03 am #1

Has anybody working on this kit tried to modify the main landing gear struts,so that it will sit a little lower? I was thinking about cutting into the oleo section, cutting a section out and gluing it back together.I'm concerned about it being too fragile and eventually collapsing under the weight of the model.Also if the amount cut out is not exact between the two sides, the "sit" of the plane will be uneven.Any ideas would be appreciated.

April 9th, 2012, 1:10 am #2

Yes the oleo should be about one third the length.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

April 9th, 2012, 1:28 am #3

I wonder if the Monogram struts can be substituted? n/t

April 9th, 2012, 2:15 am #4

Has anybody working on this kit tried to modify the main landing gear struts,so that it will sit a little lower? I was thinking about cutting into the oleo section, cutting a section out and gluing it back together.I'm concerned about it being too fragile and eventually collapsing under the weight of the model.Also if the amount cut out is not exact between the two sides, the "sit" of the plane will be uneven.Any ideas would be appreciated.

I used a section of plastic tube for the oleo (easier to ensure that both oleos are the same length) with pins top and bottom). Eyeballed the oleo length using photos and test fitting compared to drawings in the Ginter TBD book. Brake line by the oleo is stretched sprue, fitted into holes drilled into the fittings above and below. Still not sure if that's how the brake line took up the slack, though.

The Monogram pieces look a little overcompressed compared to photos, and there's a difference in the location of the mounting hole vs. the GW kit, which would throw things off also.
Last edited by jimmaas on April 9th, 2012, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 2:40 am #5

Yes the oleo should be about one third the length.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
thanks,thats got to the be best way to go.

April 9th, 2012, 2:52 am #6

I used a section of plastic tube for the oleo (easier to ensure that both oleos are the same length) with pins top and bottom). Eyeballed the oleo length using photos and test fitting compared to drawings in the Ginter TBD book. Brake line by the oleo is stretched sprue, fitted into holes drilled into the fittings above and below. Still not sure if that's how the brake line took up the slack, though.

The Monogram pieces look a little overcompressed compared to photos, and there's a difference in the location of the mounting hole vs. the GW kit, which would throw things off also.
thanks, thats a great before/after pic for reference.I've got some of the old monogram struts too, but the connection points are different compared GW's. What did you do about the canopy? I think I will be able to use the monogram rear portions (with a little reworking) to stack up in the back of GW's main section. thanks again.

April 9th, 2012, 3:05 am #7

I'm a closed-canopy type, so I can't help on that much, but if I were to open I would invest in the Squadron Shop vac canopy ($7.16) which is for the Monogram kit, thin, and probably can be adapted to the GW.

Remember to fill in those kickplate holes on the fuselage side - it'll be interesting to see if GW corrects those with their next release of the kit. The other thing that needs a bit of fix is the doors for the rear machine gun - I did a posting on March 31 on how to rememdy that. Have fun, it's a nice kit.

April 9th, 2012, 12:59 pm #8

Get the SAC metal landing gear set

April 9th, 2012, 2:22 pm #9

direct copy of the kit gear.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/148-scal ... 30862.aspx

Rick L.