Guadalcanal defender is done...

Guadalcanal defender is done...

May 2nd, 2012, 8:01 pm #1

Hi all,

Finished this one last night and am pretty happy with it even though I didn't fix every accuracy issue the kit suffers from...the most noticeable being the windscreen probably.

I did add a True Details interior, wheels and wheel bay set, metal guns, vac canopy section, radio wire, gunsight, and drilled out the lightening holes in the gear doors, Quickboost resin's horizontal stabs and elevators and also wings to replace the kit's -4 wings. Also added a metal pitot tube.

Decals are from the kit. Weathering is all done from pastels and fading the paint here and there. (Kit is 1/72 from Hasegawa).

A fun build with no major challenges. Its Harold Bauer's F4F-3 during Sept-Nov of 1942. With 10 kills when he went missing in November of 1942, he was later awarded the Medal of Honor.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Joe

May 2nd, 2012, 9:57 pm #2

Very Well Done!!

Clean build, nice choice of markings, and you could pretty much be a compensated spokesman for Quickboost now.

Clearly, my concerns about the propeller hub were unfounded.

I won't make the usual comment of feigned surprise that its a 72nd scale model, because you and i both know thats tantamount to someone saying, "Wow, you're pretty Hot, for a Fat Chick."

Wicked Cool.

david

May 2nd, 2012, 10:13 pm #3

Hehe...so true!

Joe

May 2nd, 2012, 10:25 pm #4

Hi all,

Finished this one last night and am pretty happy with it even though I didn't fix every accuracy issue the kit suffers from...the most noticeable being the windscreen probably.

I did add a True Details interior, wheels and wheel bay set, metal guns, vac canopy section, radio wire, gunsight, and drilled out the lightening holes in the gear doors, Quickboost resin's horizontal stabs and elevators and also wings to replace the kit's -4 wings. Also added a metal pitot tube.

Decals are from the kit. Weathering is all done from pastels and fading the paint here and there. (Kit is 1/72 from Hasegawa).

A fun build with no major challenges. Its Harold Bauer's F4F-3 during Sept-Nov of 1942. With 10 kills when he went missing in November of 1942, he was later awarded the Medal of Honor.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Joe
Really well done and superbly painted. Nice pics too.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm #5

Hi all,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Joe
Wow had to check twice he said 1/72nd!!! Nice job on the finish....

May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 pm #6

Hi all,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Joe
r

May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 pm #7

Very Well Done!!

Clean build, nice choice of markings, and you could pretty much be a compensated spokesman for Quickboost now.

Clearly, my concerns about the propeller hub were unfounded.

I won't make the usual comment of feigned surprise that its a 72nd scale model, because you and i both know thats tantamount to someone saying, "Wow, you're pretty Hot, for a Fat Chick."

Wicked Cool.

david
... fun to ride, but you don't want your freinds to catch you doing it...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

May 3rd, 2012, 1:57 am #8

Hi all,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Joe
As a 1/72 builder myself and a builder of that kit. Great job! The True Detail cockpit really adds alot to that kit! I have the dash three wings but haven't used them, yet! I plan on ding aWake Island bird. What paint did you use?

Wayne

May 3rd, 2012, 2:04 am #9

... fun to ride, but you don't want your freinds to catch you doing it...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Hey, i got no qualms about someone watching me ride an F4F Wildcat, though my crosswind landings may not look too cool.

d-bot

May 3rd, 2012, 2:05 am #10

Wow had to check twice he said 1/72nd!!! Nice job on the finish....
n/t