Grumman FF-1 Confusion

Grumman FF-1 Confusion

July 14th, 2012, 3:03 pm #1

I recently picked up the Special Hobby kit and I'm a little confused by what's in the box. It looks to me like the cockpit depicts an FF-2 because of the dual controls so I plan to leave out the stick, rudder pedals and instrument panel from the rear cockpit. What I can't tell from my limited resources is whether or not the .30 cal. should be mounted in the rear cockpit on the FF-1 fighter version. Does anyone know for sure? I'm guessing yes, otherwise why was the rear seater even there? Some references list the armament as 2 .30 cals. though, and that would account for the two forward-facing guns only, unless they're mistakenly referring to the FF-2 which had one forward-firing gun removed to make room for more fuel. Confused? Join the club!

Dan

July 14th, 2012, 3:42 pm #2

1 .50 on the right side plus another .30 for the back seater.
I can't find anything regarding back seat controls, but the GIB could face front too, so I guess dual controls are possible.
Other Grummans of the day had them.
(If in doubt, leave them out, the stick was removable anyway)

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

July 14th, 2012, 4:16 pm #3

I recently picked up the Special Hobby kit and I'm a little confused by what's in the box. It looks to me like the cockpit depicts an FF-2 because of the dual controls so I plan to leave out the stick, rudder pedals and instrument panel from the rear cockpit. What I can't tell from my limited resources is whether or not the .30 cal. should be mounted in the rear cockpit on the FF-1 fighter version. Does anyone know for sure? I'm guessing yes, otherwise why was the rear seater even there? Some references list the armament as 2 .30 cals. though, and that would account for the two forward-facing guns only, unless they're mistakenly referring to the FF-2 which had one forward-firing gun removed to make room for more fuel. Confused? Join the club!

Dan
modeldad@verizon.net

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 14th, 2012, 5:10 pm #4

Dan
Grumman built 27 FF-1(Grumman design G-5) two-seat fighters ans they were issues to VF-5B on the Lexington. After Fleet deployment 22 surviving FF-1s were converted to two-seat dual-control) trainers and designated FF-2s(Grumman design G-5). The FF-1 rear gunner had a swivelling .30 cal and a swivelling seat. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

July 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm #5

Dan
I really appreciate the help.

Looks like Special Hobby have given us the externals of an FF-1 and the dual cockpits of an FF-2. Looks like it will be easy to leave a few parts out and have a true FF-1.

Dan