Great Wall 1/48 P-61 Question

August 18th, 2018, 2:15 am #1

Gents,

I have searched the web and haven't really found a clear answer to this question, so I am using you as my 'Go To' guys.  I hope you will come through for me yet again.

The GW 1/48 P-61A with the clear nose is supposed to have improved some of the mistakes GW made in the original P-61B kit.  How big a deal is this?  If I bought the P-61A with clear nose and just sand down the nose, can I make a B out of it?  Or is the original B kit not as flawed as some people make it out to be?  Seriously, can anyone put this in to simple terms for someone who isn't a P-61 expert but who is so afflicted with AMS that he can't build a kit without first trying to make sure he is starting with the best available option??? O:-)

Thanks,

Joe

August 18th, 2018, 2:47 am #2

I’m not sure this will help, but having built the ancient monogram kit I can tell you that it could be made as either an A or a B by simply gluing a different nose cone on which was slightly longer. Jeff S.

August 18th, 2018, 4:18 am #3

The B nose is actually longer than the A nose, so it would need to be lengthened to make an A into a B.  Also, on the B, the MLG doors were modified so they were closed when the gear was down, except for a small section that remained open for the strut to pass through.

August 19th, 2018, 1:03 am #4

P-61B nose was 8 inches longer than the -A
https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraf ... raft_id=78

August 19th, 2018, 5:13 am #5

It's a bit more involved than just increasing the nose length, there are some panel line changes necessary.

August 19th, 2018, 6:35 am #6

There is another significant difference between the A and B models: The A has 2 U/C doors per side, which remain open while it is on the ground.
The B model changed this to 2 large main doors and two small leg doors per side. The main and leg doors opened for landing and once locked down the main doors closed again, and remained closed unless manually opened by ground crew. The leg doors remained opened for the main u/C on the ground. 
The reason was that the tires kept kicking up debris, most of which ended up inside the rear boom!  There was no rear bulkhead in the wheelbay (Despite some kits showing one. (I'm looking at the 1/32 HobbyBoss kits here)
This was especially serious in the Pacific with the A ( and the B's Main theatre of Ops.) It could and did affect the C of G. I have 2  kits of the Hobby Boss P61, which despite being called a B on the Box, is actually much closer to an A model. (Short radome, 2 main doors per side and sundry other details.)

I intend to build the A version as "MoonHappy" and the B as "Lady in the Dark".... yeah, (That is 1 A and 1 B, with  1 in OD over NG and one in Black - I know, Cliche. But I can't make a start on MoonHappy until I find out if she had the Turret or the 4 gun fairing on top - no photo I have found shows this, and all the illustrations of her show a turret...which is not a help, because all the illustrations of another A model, which is known to have had the fixed gun position, all show a turret too!

HTH Brett

August 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm #7

Thanks, Guys.  I think I figured out what to do here.  I'll buy 1 of each kit and, if the older P-61B kit has not been updated, I'll just cast whatever I need out of the new, updated A and my problem will be solved :-)