Great "Doh!" moments in modeling (at least mine)...

Great "Doh!" moments in modeling (at least mine)...

March 16th, 2012, 1:22 pm #1

1. Realizing that lacquer thinner will eat into clear plastic. (Hours of polishing fun)

2. Discovering that there is something on your fingers that has eaten into the finish of your nearly completed plane, and permanently left your markings in the form of fingerprints.

March 16th, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

-Realizing that the super thin CA has run through a gap,onto your finger, and the that left fuselage half is affixed to your left thumb...

-You didn't mask that right quarter panel, before you painted the aircraft...

-You find that little puddle of Micro-set was really a little puddle of super thin CA... after you brushed it onto a decal...

-You put a couple of drops of water into your acrylic paint to thin it, but your water was thinner...

-You put a couple of drops of thinner into your enamel paint to thin it, but your thinner was water...

-Gravity is faster than your reflexes. But you only find this out after the point of your #11 exacto is stuck in the top of you foot/thigh...

Not that I've ever done any of these things...

I knew a guy, who's brother's sister, cousin on her mother's side of the family did them....

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 16th, 2012, 2:21 pm #3

Very true Don!! There are choice 4 letter words for those scenario's... n/t

March 16th, 2012, 3:22 pm #4

1. Realizing that lacquer thinner will eat into clear plastic. (Hours of polishing fun)

2. Discovering that there is something on your fingers that has eaten into the finish of your nearly completed plane, and permanently left your markings in the form of fingerprints.
1) Spilling an entire thing of Alclad II lacquer cleaner and some of it running onto the flap of a nearly completed P-51D, eating through the paint and plastic making a sanding job, re-riveting job, and repaint job necessary.

2) Not realizing that Revell plastic in very inconsistent in hardness, and that a little slip of the blade can really do some damage on a finger. 5 stitches worth of damage.

3) Dropping the model right when you finish filling the seams, only to have it hit the ground and have cracks along the seams magically reappear. Filler and sand paper, anyone?

4) Forgetting to clean the airbrush thoroughly and having an array of color mix together to create a very interesting one and having to waste all that paint and restart.

I've been in the hobby for almost a year, and I'm afraid my hardships have only just begun. Haha

God bless and thanks, Vets.
Erik

Live, fly, sail. In that order.

March 16th, 2012, 4:36 pm #5

1. That jar of alcohol I was using to wipe away some Mr. Surfacer was really lacquer thinner. "Gee, I've never seen alcohol make Surfacer do that..no, wait...that's plastic, what the...Doohhh, @#$%*!@!!!

2. Putting my thumb very firmly is some freshly applied CA gel and not realizing it until I tried to put the model down. DOH, followed by Owww. Literally had to filet my thumb from the model with an X-Acto, fortunately with no blood lost. Lets hear it for a steady hand and a brand new #11 blade.

3. a. Gravity never forgets.
b. X-Actos and pin vises ALWAYS arrive sharp end down.

March 16th, 2012, 4:44 pm #6

too bad it was on the wrong end...DOH....!!!!

Keep your Sprues Empty

March 16th, 2012, 5:24 pm #7

Mine is opening the kit and getting started.

March 16th, 2012, 5:59 pm #8

...how a bottle cap full of liquid CA could disappear during a gluing session, and a half hour later having my wife ask me why I have a bottle cap stuck to my elbow.

March 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm #9

Now that's funny!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 16th, 2012, 6:56 pm #10

sticks balsa wood REALLY well. So well in fact I also had the large-ish model boat the balsa wood belonged to stuck to my fingers as well....my wife could'nt help me because she was on the floor in hysterics

Regards
Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andyksmodelblog.blogspot.com/