Great customer service from Airfix/Hornby

Great customer service from Airfix/Hornby

March 13th, 2012, 2:01 pm #1

I emailed them at the weekend about a cracked 1/24 FW190 windscreen and they notified me this morning that a replacement is in the mail. Way to go, Airfix!

Stevens International, are you reading?

March 13th, 2012, 2:50 pm #2

What's Stevens got to do with Airfix? n/t

March 13th, 2012, 3:37 pm #3

i agree with James, even though he's speaking rhetorically.

Frankly Stevens doesn't impress me too much so far.

david
Last edited by Falcon50EX on March 13th, 2012, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 4:16 pm #4

that manufacturer knows you're a customer, since it's their product it had to originate from them.  Stevens is just a distributor (one of about 40 Trumpeter distributors worldwide) and to get replacement parts from them (#1)you have to be able to prove that the kit was purchased from a retailer in their chain of distribution and (#2) they have to have a donor kit there to take the part from.  They are not in existance solely to provide Trumpeter replacement parts, and they're definitely not going to part out a sellable kit for someone who bought the kit from overseas or from another distributor, it might make for good PR, but it doesn't make good business sense. 

Think Squadron can do better?  They're a Trumpeter distributor, so are Pocketbond, JB Wholesalers, Faller, ModelCraft, et al...    

I know it can be a hassle, but that's the way it goes now with so many people buying kits off of Ebay straight out of China and Hong Kong, they want to skip the importer and distributor when it's in their best interest, but when they need customer support they want the importer and distributor to step in an provide the service, when there's been no reciprocity in the process.     

March 13th, 2012, 4:35 pm #5

I emailed them at the weekend about a cracked 1/24 FW190 windscreen and they notified me this morning that a replacement is in the mail. Way to go, Airfix!

Stevens International, are you reading?
I lost a part to my new Swordfish-- got a replacement about a week later.

This type of service should be recognized-- I sent them a thank you note just usign their "contact us" link) and made a point of telling them how many of their recent kits I have purchased.

Webmaster, IPMS Patriot Chapter, Billerica, MA
www.ipmspatriot.org
Last edited by rcboater on March 13th, 2012, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 5:07 pm #6

I'm glad you did ok. My F8F rubber tires were full of molding defects and I asked if I could get a replacement set. Heard nothing back. Compared to Tamiya,Revell and Airfix, Trumpeter (via Stevens) is just hard work. Shame too, as I have a small fortune invested in Trumpeter kits.

March 13th, 2012, 6:00 pm #7

i agree with James, even though he's speaking rhetorically.

Frankly Stevens doesn't impress me too much so far.

david
You may be better off hoping that Sprue Brothers will buy them too! I gave up on Stevens many years ago, as they are simply useless after they have the money. Someone should really teach them that "customer service" is not spelled with any variation of "screw you."

March 13th, 2012, 6:04 pm #8

that manufacturer knows you're a customer, since it's their product it had to originate from them.  Stevens is just a distributor (one of about 40 Trumpeter distributors worldwide) and to get replacement parts from them (#1)you have to be able to prove that the kit was purchased from a retailer in their chain of distribution and (#2) they have to have a donor kit there to take the part from.  They are not in existance solely to provide Trumpeter replacement parts, and they're definitely not going to part out a sellable kit for someone who bought the kit from overseas or from another distributor, it might make for good PR, but it doesn't make good business sense. 

Think Squadron can do better?  They're a Trumpeter distributor, so are Pocketbond, JB Wholesalers, Faller, ModelCraft, et al...    

I know it can be a hassle, but that's the way it goes now with so many people buying kits off of Ebay straight out of China and Hong Kong, they want to skip the importer and distributor when it's in their best interest, but when they need customer support they want the importer and distributor to step in an provide the service, when there's been no reciprocity in the process.     
as I've dealt with them on replacement parts for Hobby Boss kits, that I CLEARLY told them I did NOT purchase from them and they still replaced them for me, not once but TWICE and for FREE. If you want to shill for Steven's so be it, but don't try and compare them to another distributor, that IS willing to support the products they distribute.

March 13th, 2012, 7:12 pm #9

I'm glad you did ok. My F8F rubber tires were full of molding defects and I asked if I could get a replacement set. Heard nothing back. Compared to Tamiya,Revell and Airfix, Trumpeter (via Stevens) is just hard work. Shame too, as I have a small fortune invested in Trumpeter kits.
I justed edited my original message to be clearer.

Webmaster, IPMS Patriot Chapter, Billerica, MA
www.ipmspatriot.org

March 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm #10

You may be better off hoping that Sprue Brothers will buy them too! I gave up on Stevens many years ago, as they are simply useless after they have the money. Someone should really teach them that "customer service" is not spelled with any variation of "screw you."
Twice I tried to get replacement parts for models that I bought at Stevens, still waiting, eight years now.  

You can't spend your way out of poverty