Great balls of fire - part 3

Great balls of fire - part 3

June 14th, 2012, 12:07 pm #1

The Ryan Fireball edges its way along the workbench.

At the moment I'm getting the major contruction sorted out. By taking my time and lots of dry fitting I've been able to reduce the size of gaps and the amount of work to be done. Still a lot of filling and sanding though!

Here's where I am as of tonight.

Canopy cut out and masked. The line to cut along was really indistinct and I didn't get it quite right, so a bit more filling ahead. I'll use epoxy to do it - luckily it's all on the rear part, which is painted anyway:

[/IMG]

The wing roots were horrid. The gaps were easy enough to deal with, but the wing root on the fuselage is a good 2mm thicker than than the wing. I've sanded and filled, but I'm not expecting a first time success:

[/IMG]

The intakes in the wing roots are not too bad. I used filler to make up the inboard walls and then pressed the round part of a toothpick into it to get the right shape. The engine has been moved forward a bit since you last saw it - it was a touch deep. it actually looks better in real life than it does here. (And the hub/prop hides a few sins.)

[/IMG]

The underside. More filler and sanding:

[/IMG]

I should say a big thanks to Tom. He sent me some great photos that show the u/c to advantage. Now I know where to put all the etched bits. The instructions weren't very helpful in that respect.

More sanding ahead, but paint is looking possible this weekend.

Cheers,

Last edited by ajd100 on June 14th, 2012, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 1:14 am #2

And "fun", of course, is modeler's code for "much hair pulling and screaming". Looks like a good job of subduing a tough kit; I eagerly look forward to further progress.

Stuart

June 15th, 2012, 9:05 pm #3

At the moment I'm getting the major contruction sorted out. By taking my time and lots of dry fitting I've been able to reduce the size of gaps and the amount of work to be done. Still a lot of filling and sanding though!

Canopy cut out and masked. The line to cut along was really indistinct and I didn't get it quite right, so a bit more filling ahead. I'll use epoxy to do it - luckily it's all on the rear part, which is painted anyway:

[/IMG]

The wing roots were horrid. The gaps were easy enough to deal with, but the wing root on the fuselage is a good 2mm thicker than than the wing. I've sanded and filled, but I'm not expecting a first time success:

[/IMG]

The intakes in the wing roots are not too bad. I used filler to make up the inboard walls and then pressed the round part of a toothpick into it to get the right shape. The engine has been moved forward a bit since you last saw it - it was a touch deep. it actually looks better in real life than it does here. (And the hub/prop hides a few sins.)

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I should say a big thanks to Tom. He sent me some great photos that show the u/c to advantage. Now I know where to put all the etched bits. The instructions weren't very helpful in that respect.

Cheers,
Dang, that kit looks like a real bear to work with, but you're doing banner work on it, my boy! You've done a nice job smoothing out att the quirky fit issues, from what i can see. Very nicely done on those front inlets - that's a troublesome area on any kit. And that cockpit looks terrific! Good luck with the canopy and the paint job!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

June 18th, 2012, 7:20 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
And all your hard work increases the chances of getting a new tool - excellent !

Nice work so far Andrew

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 18th, 2012, 10:37 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Steller work on that old pile of plastic.

Cheers, Vic