The Ryan Fireball edges its way along the workbench.
At the moment I'm getting the major contruction sorted out. By taking my time and lots of dry fitting I've been able to reduce the size of gaps and the amount of work to be done. Still a lot of filling and sanding though!
Here's where I am as of tonight.
Canopy cut out and masked. The line to cut along was really indistinct and I didn't get it quite right, so a bit more filling ahead. I'll use epoxy to do it - luckily it's all on the rear part, which is painted anyway:
The wing roots were horrid. The gaps were easy enough to deal with, but the wing root on the fuselage is a good 2mm thicker than than the wing. I've sanded and filled, but I'm not expecting a first time success:
The intakes in the wing roots are not too bad. I used filler to make up the inboard walls and then pressed the round part of a toothpick into it to get the right shape. The engine has been moved forward a bit since you last saw it - it was a touch deep. it actually looks better in real life than it does here. (And the hub/prop hides a few sins.)
The underside. More filler and sanding:
I should say a big thanks to Tom. He sent me some great photos that show the u/c to advantage. Now I know where to put all the etched bits. The instructions weren't very helpful in that respect.
More sanding ahead, but paint is looking possible this weekend.
And "fun", of course, is modeler's code for "much hair pulling and screaming". Looks like a good job of subduing a tough kit; I eagerly look forward to further progress.