Grass display base - First attempt

Grass display base - First attempt

February 23rd, 2012, 3:59 am #1

About a week ago I asked for some pointers on how to make a grass display base in "Plane Talking". You HyperScalers came to my rescue once again and I got a lot of tips and helpful advice, thank you so much. It's worth gold to someone fairly new to the hobby like myself.

One tip that stuck with me was that of Walt Babst about how to make a cheap (mine came out to $15) DIY static grass applicatorhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAEmcqc-yIc). Below are the results of my first attempt and my home made applicator.
The base is a tile of dark cork. I used a mix of sand and my wife's cacti potting mix as a base layer for the grass.
The grass is mixed 2mm winter grass with 2mm & 6mm spring grass.

I'm ok with the result but suggestions on how to improve it is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Jacob

Last edited by Jacob_P on February 23rd, 2012, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2012, 4:07 am #2

Lookin good.
Owner: U.S. Aircraft Aviation Museum

February 23rd, 2012, 4:16 am #3

About a week ago I asked for some pointers on how to make a grass display base in "Plane Talking". You HyperScalers came to my rescue once again and I got a lot of tips and helpful advice, thank you so much. It's worth gold to someone fairly new to the hobby like myself.

One tip that stuck with me was that of Walt Babst about how to make a cheap (mine came out to $15) DIY static grass applicatorhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAEmcqc-yIc). Below are the results of my first attempt and my home made applicator.
The base is a tile of dark cork. I used a mix of sand and my wife's cacti potting mix as a base layer for the grass.

I'm ok with the result but suggestions on how to improve it is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Jacob

n/m

February 23rd, 2012, 5:26 am #4

Cheers,
Jacob

Now be honest, Is your head spinning about future projects??

I know mine was after I started doing dio's like these.

What a great hobby.

California Steve

February 23rd, 2012, 5:43 am #5

First of all thanks for the encouragement! You are right, I find myself looking for kits that include crews and vehicles, stuff that went straight into the spares box before. I'm also being cheered on by my wife who thinks these displays are more delightful to have around the house, so I got to take advantage of that.
Last edited by Jacob_P on February 23rd, 2012, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2012, 6:12 am #6

Some of the hardware stores have a battery powered badmitton type racket that is for swating bugs. This will raise the grass, or anything not glued down to make it stand up. But you got a good tip for what you are doing.. Too much fun.

California Steve

February 23rd, 2012, 6:22 am #7

I bought a bug zapper and replaced the tennis racket part with a metal sieve. This way you can sift the grass and make it stand by holding the power button. Look at the youtube link in my orig post, they show how to make one. It took me less than 20 min!

February 23rd, 2012, 12:30 pm #8

Cheers,
Jacob

I would strongly suggest painting it. I find the color of the tiny fibers to look artificial. I use a very toned down green (any generic green with lots of tan) and vary the colors to make the grass look more natural.

February 23rd, 2012, 12:31 pm #9

Cheers,
Jacob

but how did your "applicator" work? Did you get good "stand-up" results? I plan on making one of these myself but haven't talked to anyone to find out if it really works. TIA

February 23rd, 2012, 12:52 pm #10

Cheers,
Jacob

Very nice! I desperately need to learn how to do this as well