Google Earth Sub ID

Google Earth Sub ID

September 4th, 2012, 10:29 pm #1

Link below leads to a google earth image of the subs being stored/dismantled at Bremerton navy base. Can anyone identify the small sub partly under the blue cover?

http://goo.gl/maps/rb9Py

September 5th, 2012, 12:36 am #2

I believe it is the NR-1. My old boss at CSDS-12 was the officer that signed the submarine over to PNSY in Maine for defueling (by virtue of the fact he was the OPS officer for NR-1 during a previous tour). According to Wikipedia, NR-1 was transferred from Maine to PSNSY (Bremerton) for final scrapping once defueling was completed.

September 5th, 2012, 2:12 am #3

I thought it might be NR-1, but I was under the belief that it was still operational.

September 5th, 2012, 2:27 am #4

I believe it is the NR-1. My old boss at CSDS-12 was the officer that signed the submarine over to PNSY in Maine for defueling (by virtue of the fact he was the OPS officer for NR-1 during a previous tour). According to Wikipedia, NR-1 was transferred from Maine to PSNSY (Bremerton) for final scrapping once defueling was completed.
...that she's partially surrounded by the structure while the other boats aren't. I wonder if that's to protect her from viewing? She allegedly did a lot of secret spy work in addition to her scientific duties, and perhaps the Navy doesn't want any prying eyes around?

September 5th, 2012, 3:13 am #5

Doubtful. My guess is that they are getting ready to pull the guts of the reactor for transfer to a storage cask. They probably just have the structure set up to control potential contamination. The ship itself wasn't exactly all that special. The two things that were useful were that she had a reactor the size of a garbage can and she had a pretty deep test depth. The ability to dive deep and stay there for a long time made her attractive for certain missions that fell under the aegis of the super secret squirrel club. I got to take a tour of NR-1 when she pulled into Annapolis with the Mary Chouest (Ship that towed the NR-1 to and from her operating areas) back in the late 90's. There wasn't exactly a whole lot to see. I was surprised that she had a minimum amount of atmosphere control equipment onboard. IIRC she got by on oxygen candles and LiOH for scrubbing CO2.

September 5th, 2012, 3:50 am #6

Perhaps a cruiser (?) can't tell for sure..

September 5th, 2012, 4:15 am #7

My bet would be the hull of the USS Long Beach (CGN-9), after her superstructure was removed, waiting her turn to get her reactors pulled.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com

September 5th, 2012, 1:44 pm #8

Link below leads to a google earth image of the subs being stored/dismantled at Bremerton navy base. Can anyone identify the small sub partly under the blue cover?

http://goo.gl/maps/rb9Py
CVN-68, USS Nimitz. Undergoing refurbishment I presume? And further down the line to the left reside the Ranger, Constellation, Kitty Hawk, and Independence. They look rather sad. Anybody know what's berthed next to the Connie?

Wendell

September 5th, 2012, 5:56 pm #9

My bet would be the hull of the USS Long Beach (CGN-9), after her superstructure was removed, waiting her turn to get her reactors pulled.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com
It's been there for years. Wonder what the hold-up is?

September 5th, 2012, 6:05 pm #10

CVN-68, USS Nimitz. Undergoing refurbishment I presume? And further down the line to the left reside the Ranger, Constellation, Kitty Hawk, and Independence. They look rather sad. Anybody know what's berthed next to the Connie?

Wendell
Raleigh class?

Edit: saw a post that said it might be an Austin (Cleveland/Trenton) class LPD.
Last edited by orangelion03 on September 5th, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.