Good trigger style work horse airbrush?

Good trigger style work horse airbrush?

March 13th, 2012, 5:05 pm #1

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good general duty trigger style airbrush. I've done some searching, but like U2, I still havent found what I'm looking for.

What I want is a trigger style airbrush with a grip, a wide spray pattern and larger bottle to spray things like primer coats, future, clear flats, single color finishes... It can be siphon or gravity fed just as long as its able to support a larger size (1/2 oz. minimum) paint supply.

I have a Badger 100 that I use for this purpose now, but I find with the big bottle on, the lack of handle/trigger doesnt really work well for me. I want something with a grip and trigger for those heavier spray jobs.

I also have a Badger 200 for medium and a H&S infinity for detail work, so It doesn't need to do the finer stuff

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, Chuck.

March 13th, 2012, 5:08 pm #2

about $50-60.00....check the Squadron Shop for info, it's a trigger style. Mike.

March 13th, 2012, 7:14 pm #3

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good general duty trigger style airbrush. I've done some searching, but like U2, I still havent found what I'm looking for.

What I want is a trigger style airbrush with a grip, a wide spray pattern and larger bottle to spray things like primer coats, future, clear flats, single color finishes... It can be siphon or gravity fed just as long as its able to support a larger size (1/2 oz. minimum) paint supply.

I have a Badger 100 that I use for this purpose now, but I find with the big bottle on, the lack of handle/trigger doesnt really work well for me. I want something with a grip and trigger for those heavier spray jobs.

I also have a Badger 200 for medium and a H&S infinity for detail work, so It doesn't need to do the finer stuff

Any recommendations?

Take a look at the Grex line. The Tritium series comes with three cups and there is a side feed model.

March 13th, 2012, 9:01 pm #4

Its a bit more than I want to spend, but it really looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the recommendation.

March 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm #5

Any recommendations?

There are two types of Grex Tritium, the TG (G for Gravity feed) and the TS (S for side feed). Both have large color cups that are sold separately that hold 50 CCs (Or 1.69 ounces). Both are designed to provide a gravity feed capability like that of the paint cups included with the airbrushes themselves only bigger. The side feed airbrush has the advantage of always being able to keep the paint upright regardless of the orientation of the airbrush itself. As I say when I demonstrate the Tritium airbrush, you can paint the ceiling of the Sistine chapel or your basement floor without spilling any paint. The side feed Tritium also allows the user to be able to mount paint cups on either side of the airbrush per the user's personal preference, right or left hand.

If you prefer to use a siphon arrangement the Side feed TS also includes a bottle and stem arrangement. It has a long stem so as to fully clear your hand and trigger interface (again, either right or left hand preference). The siphon bottle is the same thread design as that of Paasche and Badger bottles so they can be used interchangeably.

If you need even larger paint quantity than the 50 CC cup available or the standard Paasche/Badger bottles, Grex provides another adapter for the Side feed TS. This adapter, AD32 has a press fit opening on the end. This allows the user to use any Paasche/Badger siphon feed attachment for the 1 ounce bottles or the huge 3 ounce bottle that Paasche provides in their H and VL kits (and sold separately).

So whatever volume of paint you are looking to paint with. Grex can provide the full range from very minute amounts of paint up to 3 ounces. Anything larger than that and you are really looking for an automotive detail gun of some sort which probably won't provide the benefit of fine detail work that is typical of model building.

I believe in god and the only thing that scares me,,,,,,is Keyser Soze.

March 13th, 2012, 11:16 pm #6

You can buy the Tritiums with one of three needle nozzle set ups, .2mm, .3mm and .5mm, and purchase the others and switch to them if you really need to. This is primarily a matter of fluid viscosity, so you consider that when purchasing. I've found the .2mm to be perfect for me, and I shoot very thin paints. I believe Grex recommends the .3mm for modelelers, but it's really a matter of what paint you're uisng and how thin you thin it. I have tried the .3mm and .5mm just to see the differences, and switched back to .2mm.

Also consider their GMAC micro air control - I use them on all three of my airbrushes, and it gives me much finer control than the standard regulator on the compressors.

Really very nice airbrushes across the line.

March 13th, 2012, 11:34 pm #7

I currently have a Badger air line fitted with quick release couplers that I purchased a couple of years ago online. The quick release couplers used an adapter that connected the Badger airbrush threads to what I believe is the same thread size that Iwata uses.

My question is, whats size thread does the Grex airbrush use for its airline? Is it that same as Badger or Iwata or another size?

March 14th, 2012, 12:48 am #8

Badger and Iwata have different thread sizes. The thread size on Grex airbrushes is the same as that of Iwata's. However, the Grex Tritium includes an adapter in the the box for Badger air hoses. So you are covered either way.

Now if quick disconnects are your cup of tea, Grex has a line of quick disconnects to include ones that agree with the Badger hose thread size. Grex also has their G-Mac. The G-Mac is a valve that allows micro adjustment of the PSI at the base of the airbrush. It is a finer adjustment than that of changing the PSI on the compressor regulator. The G-Mac also has a quick disconnect designed into it. There are three types available, one for the Grex/Iwata, Badger and Paasche airbrushes/hoses.

Here are some of the Grex products that may help you. More adapters are available for Paasche and Badger hoses for any combination you might need.

Grex G-Mac with quick disconnect
?t=1331685371

Grex quick disconnect
?t=1331685299

Grex side feed siphon bottle (agrees with Badger and Paasche bottles)
?t=1331685373

Grex 50 CC paint cup for Tritium TG.
?t=1331685371

Grex TG with the 50CC cup for size comparison
?t=1331685375

Grex 50 CC cup for the Tritium TS
?t=1331685373

Grex AD32 Adapter for Paasche 3 ounce bottle
?t=1331685323

March 14th, 2012, 1:35 am #9

Its a bit more than I want to spend, but it really looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the recommendation.
Use the coupon code on the Blick website. Gives you 20% off with free shipping. Bought the TG3 this morning. Used Paypal. Can't wait to use it. Already have the XN, so I know the Grex quality.

bob
sierrascale
Last edited by Bob Norgren on March 14th, 2012, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2012, 3:13 am #10

Badger and Iwata have different thread sizes. The thread size on Grex airbrushes is the same as that of Iwata's. However, the Grex Tritium includes an adapter in the the box for Badger air hoses. So you are covered either way.

Now if quick disconnects are your cup of tea, Grex has a line of quick disconnects to include ones that agree with the Badger hose thread size. Grex also has their G-Mac. The G-Mac is a valve that allows micro adjustment of the PSI at the base of the airbrush. It is a finer adjustment than that of changing the PSI on the compressor regulator. The G-Mac also has a quick disconnect designed into it. There are three types available, one for the Grex/Iwata, Badger and Paasche airbrushes/hoses.

Here are some of the Grex products that may help you. More adapters are available for Paasche and Badger hoses for any combination you might need.

Grex G-Mac with quick disconnect
?t=1331685371

Grex quick disconnect
?t=1331685299

Grex side feed siphon bottle (agrees with Badger and Paasche bottles)
?t=1331685373

Grex 50 CC paint cup for Tritium TG.
?t=1331685371

Grex TG with the 50CC cup for size comparison
?t=1331685375

Grex 50 CC cup for the Tritium TS
?t=1331685373

Grex AD32 Adapter for Paasche 3 ounce bottle
?t=1331685323

I'll be talking to my local hobby shop tomorrow to see about getting one. Thanks for your help.