Good Time to Be a Car Salesman?

Good Time to Be a Car Salesman?

March 18th, 2012, 1:54 am #1

Got an invitation today to interview for a sales position at the local Ford dealer. The invitation made it sound very attractive. I'm wondering if this is a good time to get into that line of work. I think I'll go hear what they have to say, but I really wonder.

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

March 18th, 2012, 2:02 am #2

My cousin started selling for a GM dealership about a year ago and is raking in the dough although he is a born salesman. He got the job when he sold a hot tub to the owner of a dealership, had never done it before, brought home 5 figures the first month. Then again my sisters work at a VW/Audi dealership and some of the salespeople do really well and some fail quick, all depends on the person.

March 18th, 2012, 3:34 am #3

Got an invitation today to interview for a sales position at the local Ford dealer. The invitation made it sound very attractive. I'm wondering if this is a good time to get into that line of work. I think I'll go hear what they have to say, but I really wonder.

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!
Let alone this one. If you are a born salesman, it is do-able. If you are not sure if you can sell, you aint!!!!
No matter what you do, no matter how honest you are, people are going to dislike you. Save em five grand, and they will tell everyone how you ripped em off.... Help someone gEt their dream car, and they will tell everyone how they 'put one over on that slimeball salesman'.

My dad workes service at dealerships frequently, and I never heard him say anything worth repeating about the salesmen he dealt with. However, he did acknowlege it was a brutally tough job...don't make your quota, and you are gonna get let go...on to the next dealership, or used car lot.....

Snake, I don't know you from Adam, but you don't strike me as a salesman. I will admit, I have been told I don't know what I am talking about more times than I care to admit, mybe this time as well.

Be carfull, keep your eyes open. Nothing worse than going to a job you hate!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

March 18th, 2012, 3:47 am #4

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Sat Cong!
If not, I personally would steer clear. In addition to the things Jim Mc mentioned, the other sales people will lie cheat and steal in ways you've never dreamed of to screw you over. Cut-throat is an understatement.

March 18th, 2012, 5:07 am #5

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Sat Cong!
and like people you can make it. Beware that the auto sales business has almost no security and sales staffs are often fired when a new sales manager takes over. You just go down the road to another dealer.

March 18th, 2012, 5:23 am #6

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Sat Cong!
you get two or three hundred a sale...or more...go car maxx...go for tonnage
Last edited by p38m on March 18th, 2012, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm #7

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Sat Cong!
The one thing I learned is in a dowm economy they hire salesmen and when they finish selling to friends and family they let then go. Heartless people, I have no respect for them (dealers).

You can't spend your way out of poverty

March 19th, 2012, 1:13 am #8

I'm gonna tell em right up front I have a small, poor family, few friends, and don't belong to any clubs, and see if they still want me.

Sat Cong!

March 19th, 2012, 3:26 pm #9

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone?

Sat Cong!
About time for everyone to begin buying new cars!! I know I'll be in the market in about one year are so.
Bo

March 19th, 2012, 5:08 pm #10

mine are 10 and 12 years on the road...no plans at all to replace.

4-5 years of car payments and new car insurance rates - do not want to deal with that again for a long, long time.