Good ref's for Russian WWII SPGs?

Good ref's for Russian WWII SPGs?

February 13th, 2012, 7:50 pm #1

Spent the morning poking through Amazon and found lots of books devoted to the Kv/JS and T-34 series, but nothing dedicated to the Su-85/100/122, JSU-122/152 vehicles. Can anyone make any reccomendations for a good source, hopefully with good color and markings info? TIA!

Michael

February 14th, 2012, 2:17 am #2

Yes, there is a good paperback volume intended for modeling reference. It's in Russian with english captions but well illustrated as I recall. It was devoted to the SU-85, SU-100 & SU-122, the family of SPGs built on the T-34 chassis.

And I spent the last half-hour rooting around the shelves and boxes trying to discover where I plonked it the last time I "cleaned up" the man-cave. It's not where it belongs, it's not where I sling stuff when I don't feel like putting it away and it's not on the top shelves where everything went when the flood waters threatened...
Like I said, I'm more annoyed than you with this answer! But at least you now know that there is at least one book on the topic.

February 14th, 2012, 1:54 pm #3

An older paperback, Soviet Mechanized Firepower is useful. It has the SU and ISU series of vehicles and a lot on the SU-76 with some interior photos from two or three Museum tanks. Another book in the same series, Road to Berlin also has a good bit on Russian SPGs (as well as a lot of German stuff)

While a lot of the old Bellona books are not great now, their SU-76 booklet is not bad and again has some good interior references and scale plans.

Concord's book on Stalin's Heavy Tanks has a good bit on the ISU tanks.

February 16th, 2012, 5:13 pm #4

Spent the morning poking through Amazon and found lots of books devoted to the Kv/JS and T-34 series, but nothing dedicated to the Su-85/100/122, JSU-122/152 vehicles. Can anyone make any reccomendations for a good source, hopefully with good color and markings info? TIA!

Michael
on the SU & ISU type tanks that I know of:

Kagero Topshots #38 - SU-76 Polish publication but in English. Very good color photos with close-ups and interiors shots of museum survivors, 42 pages 130+ pics. ISBN 978-83-60445-55-6 This is the only one of the Kagero books that I have on the SU tanks, they may have others.

Wydawnictwo Militaria #240 - Tank Power Vol XX - SU-85/100/122 - Polish Text with English summary and Polish/English captions. Many b/w photos, color plates, line drawings and even some color pics of museum SU's. Excellent references.

Wydawnictwo Militaria #260 - Tank Power Vol XXXVI - SU-76 - Polish Text with English summary and Polish/English captions. Same as above but on the SU-76

Frontline Illustraded 04-2002: Self-Propelled Artllery of the Red Army. This has some great pics and color plates but is entirely in Russian. I have no idea who printed or distributes these and there is no ISBN #.

Armor Museum #8 - SU-76 Very comprehensive with many scale drawings of interior/exterior parts, b/w photos and color plates, all dedicated to the SU-76 (100+ pages) Unfortunately it is completely in Russian and I can find no publisher name or ISBN number.

Armor Museum #16 - SU-122 Same as the above but on the SU-122

Armor Museum #18 - SU-85 Same as the above but on the SU-85

Other books cover more than the SU series and include all Soviet tanks too. Here's the only one in my meager library:

Soviet Tanks and combat Vehicles of WWII by Steven Zaloga, Arms & Armour Press, 230+ pages, covers all Soviet tanks ISBN 0-85368-606-8

Hope this helps,
Cheers

February 23rd, 2012, 2:43 am #5

Michael
Photos are in English but no captions

Bronekollektsiya Magazine did a magazine called Self Propelled Guns on T-34 Chasis

Russian Publisher Eskmo does Su-76 and ISU ones as well.

I buy direct from a contact in Moscow which I can put you in touch with if you wish to email me off line

Scott