Glencoe USCG Motor Launch (Rescue) Boat.

Glencoe USCG Motor Launch (Rescue) Boat.

July 1st, 2012, 4:58 am #1

I am building this kit and all is well. Saw some pic on the net and they had the standard red stripe with emblem. I can paint the stripe, is there a source for decals of the USCG emblem?

Second I want to place a USCG flag on the stern mast, I seen international sites with flags, but is there a US supplier and what size should I uses as the boat is 1/48?

July 2nd, 2012, 4:39 pm #2

The red and blue racing stripe was implemented about 1967, by which time the 36 footers were being replaced by newer boats.

From your original post, it isn't clear to me if you're looking for USCG emblem decals because:
a. You found a picture with the stripe and are assuming that is the only "correct" markings for the boat; or
b. You know that most boats didn't have the stripe, but you found a picture of a boat with the stripe and you want to do yours in that scheme.

If "a" describes your situation, then I'd suggest doing a "typical" 36 footer, without the stripe.

If "b" describes it better, then you've got a bit of a search to do. I used to maintain a USCG model kit list-- it is out of date now, but still available. AFAIK, no one makes decals for USCG boats in 1/48 scale-- you'll have to find some aircraft decals to use.
Here's my list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~billkaja/kitlist.htm

Finally, the USCG Ensign used on a boat is roughly one by two feet in size-- that would translate to a 1/4 by 1/2 inch flag in 1/48.

Webmaster, IPMS Patriot Chapter, Billerica, MA
www.ipmspatriot.org