Gentlemen, what on earth can be so wrong about a Tamiya Sturmovik?....

Gentlemen, what on earth can be so wrong about a Tamiya Sturmovik?....

April 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm #1

There are things I found hard to believe! A novelty from Tamiya, even if tooled already is always thrilling! What would be the Mustang world without the Tamiya recent model!

Tamiya products are mainstream products designed to delight the wide possible range in the modeling comunity. They are created to be as simple as possible to built and incorporating lovely and exquisite detail all around! That's it! Things haven't changed so much since their early Zero's released about forty years ago! Few parts, great detail, superior fit!

Regarding the Accurate Miniatures model, may I say it's a heck of a model to assemble (and the instructions won't make your life easier too, specially if you can't read all the English text. It happened to several friends of mine!). But it's a kit that struggles with you: It has a different feeling than the Tamiya model. In the end you will say "phew! nasty b@st@rd I told you I could built you! Now it's time to paint". On a normal Tamiya kit you simple say: "what a piece of cake buddy, let's buy some more of the range today"

I see this a bit like the Focke Wulf Fw-190: Tamiya has great Wurgers, but to be fair the Eduard models are better! However everyone complains about the tricky fit of these Eduard kits and everybody praises Tamiya simplicity: At model shows I see tons of Tamiya 190 birds and only a few Eduard kits: The same goes to the local club meetings. Eduard learnt this lesson: Best is not better if simplicity is absent - their recent 1/48 109E incorporates amazing detail but this time it is a piece of cake to build!

Well, to convince all to make Sturmoviks, purchase this book:

And most probably, many of you will have an immense appetite to replicate stunning schemes of the most produced aircraft ever: From almost flying wrecks to delightful forest green patterns rarely seen in miniature form

Gladly I saved my Kendall Model Company Sturmovik wings! Cheers!

April 17th, 2012, 3:57 pm #2

Russian armor kits to go along with the IL 2 When they did the Storch it raised a lot of eyebrows but it proved to be a delightful kit to assemble and was I assume a decent seller. I seen quite a few on the model contest tables. It will be interesting to see what tooling innovations Tamiya may surprise us with in the IL-2 kit. I am kinda hoping for open bombbays...... Glad I have my 4+ book on the swept wing machines.
I kind of feel that Tamiya can almost create their own markets for their a/c kits as they are so well engineered, with such good fit. I am doing a 1/48 Zero 22 right now and it literally falls together and is loaded with great detail. More power to them....

April 17th, 2012, 4:05 pm #3

...I think it was more of a "look-at-what-we're-capable-of" statement for their 100th 1/48 kit than it was intended to be a top seller anyway.  It is an amazing marvel of model engineering. 

April 17th, 2012, 4:05 pm #4

There are things I found hard to believe! A novelty from Tamiya, even if tooled already is always thrilling! What would be the Mustang world without the Tamiya recent model!

Tamiya products are mainstream products designed to delight the wide possible range in the modeling comunity. They are created to be as simple as possible to built and incorporating lovely and exquisite detail all around! That's it! Things haven't changed so much since their early Zero's released about forty years ago! Few parts, great detail, superior fit!

Regarding the Accurate Miniatures model, may I say it's a heck of a model to assemble (and the instructions won't make your life easier too, specially if you can't read all the English text. It happened to several friends of mine!). But it's a kit that struggles with you: It has a different feeling than the Tamiya model. In the end you will say "phew! nasty b@st@rd I told you I could built you! Now it's time to paint". On a normal Tamiya kit you simple say: "what a piece of cake buddy, let's buy some more of the range today"

I see this a bit like the Focke Wulf Fw-190: Tamiya has great Wurgers, but to be fair the Eduard models are better! However everyone complains about the tricky fit of these Eduard kits and everybody praises Tamiya simplicity: At model shows I see tons of Tamiya 190 birds and only a few Eduard kits: The same goes to the local club meetings. Eduard learnt this lesson: Best is not better if simplicity is absent - their recent 1/48 109E incorporates amazing detail but this time it is a piece of cake to build!

And most probably, many of you will have an immense appetite to replicate stunning schemes of the most produced aircraft ever: From almost flying wrecks to delightful forest green patterns rarely seen in miniature form

and to tell the truth, is doesn't bother me either way that Tamiya are going to do an aircraft that I have little interest in. In fact I will probably be happier, as I will now be able to add one to my collection via an old Acc Min "castoff" going for peanuts somewhere. I am also very pleased for the people who will be looking forward to this one, and I am sure to them as to me, it's announcement has been a real bolt from the blue.

But-

For me, the disappointment is manifold, as firstly, the excitement of a an new Tamiya release is quenched by the choice of subject matter.
Secondly, the fact that Tamiya's release schedule is virtually glacial, means that that's now probably it for this year- unless of course we are going to get=

Il2 new variant *1
New variant *2
New variant *3

"IL2 with lend-lease Tilly"

"IL2 with Russian security dog set"

"Il2 with T-34 "

"IL2 with propeller action"

"IL2 chrome finish"

etc

And I think that is the thing that takes the fun out it- if it were one of say 4-6 new 1/48 Tamiya releases this year, it would be great- a whole big plastic party for everyone.

April 17th, 2012, 4:18 pm #5

So long as they follow it up with more subjects of lesser quality existing kits!!

Had AM made a P-40B/C back in their days, likely wouldn't have to put up with my drone for one!!

My 2 cents!!

Bo

April 17th, 2012, 4:24 pm #6

/

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

April 17th, 2012, 4:28 pm #7

1. It's Russian.
2. It didn't operate off of an aircraft carrier.
3. It isn't in 1/72 scale.

Just not my cup of tea, but for those of you who like 1/48 land-based Russian stuff, enjoy the kit!

April 17th, 2012, 4:31 pm #8

The need to carfully follow the English text-based instructions of the AccMin kit.  I have the Eduard rebox and IIRC, it just has the picture instructions and I found it to be very frustrating and is currently sitting half-built on the Shelf of Doom.

As I've said, Tamiya new releases have a built-in market just simply by being Tamiya.  They do what they want, when they want to, and they've been very successful at it for nearly 50 years now.  They've built a strong brand loyalty and identity and it seems to be working for them. 

April 17th, 2012, 4:38 pm #9

have been a better choice given how gorgeous their 1/32 kit is.

Bit, I am ok with a Sturm.
All though a really nice Yak-9 series would really suit me.

Scotty B

April 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm #10

most of the people that whine about it have their own pet project they are pining away for and falsely think that the release of an IL-2 somehow lessens the chance of Tamiya doing "their" kit.