Gas prices...someone explain this to me...

Gas prices...someone explain this to me...

February 21st, 2012, 4:41 am #1

Scenario I am not grasping other than PURE GREED...

Say I own "moose's Gas Station"...

I order 1000 gals of fuel...and pay $3.00 a gallon

I intend to charge my customers $3.50 a gallon...

My gas delivery arrives at 9:00Am and i fill my storage tank.

I have my invoice for the gas I needed from my distributor for my customer to purchase..

NOW WTF gives me the justification to RAISE my prices by $.19 per gallon 3 hours later....I already got my gas for a lower price...

I hate these snakes! HATE HATE HATE!
Last edited by mooser1 on February 21st, 2012, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 4:54 am #2

either you sell it at the price point they dictate, or they won't sell you any more gas!!!!!

My da had a gas station back in the early 70's, during the CAFE years. He was an independent owner, but Amoco controlled his prices. Eventually, they squeezed him hard enough to force the business to fail (it was a TURNPIKE station,so sales were pretty much a given, but, you can't sell gas fast enough when you are making 3 or 4 cents a gallon profit or your tanks run empty because of the embargo back then. Amoco let him whither on the vine and die, and then came back in as a full blown Amoco station. They killed him, plain and simple. And this isn't an uncommon story, either.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

February 21st, 2012, 5:33 am #3

I have my invoice for the gas I needed from my distributor for my customer to purchase..

NOW WTF gives me the justification to RAISE my prices by $.19 per gallon 3 hours later....I already got my gas for a lower price...

so to keep his profit margin he charges more. If the prices rise fast enough, like a couple of years ago, then he might actually lose some money buying the next load... OR if the price plummets, he may have more invested in the gas than he can get out of it (that happens near here in a town that has a practical perpetual gas war going on)... BUT... I don't doubt that last post that has the oil companies' sticky spindly stinking greedy little fingers in the pie someplace too... probably squeezing the station just like he says....

Moose... ONE quantum leap... JUST ONE in battery technology and those @@@@@@@ could be history. Some of the hybrids are getting better and better anyway. If they could ever develop a battery that could take you about 100 or so miles on a charge, the gas tank would be there for most people just to charge the batteries when the car runs out of juice... like a locomotive... the engine drives a generator that runs the car. Get home plug in, go another 100 miles by the next morning when you get up....

I think somebody is going to do it. That, or hydrogen fuel cells. A little Japanese company claims to already have a (tiny) little car that distills hydrogen from water.... havent heard anything about it for a while, but somebody they can't buy off will do it sooner or later...

Last edited by seafirexv on February 21st, 2012, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 5:49 am #4

well be one. Supply/demand (holiday weekend), capitalism/profit making, if a company station he's just posting the price HQ tells him to post, if an indie perhaps the dist still dictates prices (don't you dare sell below this price no matter what price you paid, like some model kit dists do), etc.

Most of what's happening in the last two wks here in the US is I believe just big oil comp greed and the futures/spot mkt reacting/taking advantage of world events to make a few billion more. In their position, wouldn't you do the same?

But again, it was a holiday weekend. That prob had something to do w/ the spike. And Iran, even tho they don't deliver much to France, the UK or the US. Next spike will be 'Summer Travel Time' and here too in the West, refinery shutdowns to switch over to Summer blends for smog control during those hotter days. And when those rifineries are down (a wk or more) the supply of gas fopr the West Coast goes down and.... well supply/demand again.

Ugh, five buck gas huh? And watch the second quarter profit figures for Chevron, Shell, etc. YIKES!

I have a bud who's worked for Chevron Eng'g for 30+ yrs. Gets about 5-10% of his salary in Chevron stock each and every yr, for 30 yrs now! He's set! Don't know why he doesn't retire. Enjoys work/the guys more than homelife/hobbies I guess.
Last edited by bookmark460 on February 21st, 2012, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 5:57 am #5

No matter what the price per gallon reaches, we're gonna pay it anyway. Why? Because we NEED it and they KNOW it.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

February 21st, 2012, 6:05 am #6

I'm gonna pay for all the $5 gas req'd no matter what. I may 'coast' more where I safely can tho. After I double check the brake pads of course.

February 21st, 2012, 6:21 am #7

So if you bought gold many years ago for $35.00 an ounce, you could not in good conscience sell it for $1700.00?

My house cost me $80,000.00. An identical house next door just sold for $230,000.00. So should I sell my house at much less because I only paid $80,000.00?

Gasoline is a commodity just like a thousand other commodities. It's price is determined by the market...not by what the last owner paid for it. It's no different than copper, potash or land. Prices float on the market based on current value and not cost to the previous owner.

Let me ask you this question. Suppose there was a sudden glut of coffee on the market and the price of tin at most stores dropped to $5.00. Would you patronize a store that was still selling a tin of coffee at $10.00 because that store owner had paid more for his coffee? Of course not. You wouldn't care what that store owner paid for his supply of coffee. If the market for coffee went down, you would expect to pay less. You'd sooner see that store owner go out of business than pay his "inflated" prices.

We pay the market price for commodities.

February 21st, 2012, 8:50 am #8

so to keep his profit margin he charges more. If the prices rise fast enough, like a couple of years ago, then he might actually lose some money buying the next load... OR if the price plummets, he may have more invested in the gas than he can get out of it (that happens near here in a town that has a practical perpetual gas war going on)... BUT... I don't doubt that last post that has the oil companies' sticky spindly stinking greedy little fingers in the pie someplace too... probably squeezing the station just like he says....

Moose... ONE quantum leap... JUST ONE in battery technology and those @@@@@@@ could be history. Some of the hybrids are getting better and better anyway. If they could ever develop a battery that could take you about 100 or so miles on a charge, the gas tank would be there for most people just to charge the batteries when the car runs out of juice... like a locomotive... the engine drives a generator that runs the car. Get home plug in, go another 100 miles by the next morning when you get up....

I think somebody is going to do it. That, or hydrogen fuel cells. A little Japanese company claims to already have a (tiny) little car that distills hydrogen from water.... havent heard anything about it for a while, but somebody they can't buy off will do it sooner or later...
I would by an Electric in a heartbeat the second they can go 100 miles as you said on a charge. I currently drive 80 miles round trip to work and I figure a 20 mile wiggle room just in case of traffic problems!

I cannot wait to tell the oil companies to go F............

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

February 21st, 2012, 9:38 am #9

supplying the elec to rechg your electric car. We'll never be rid of them!

The over 50+ mile ranges of the newer elecs are getting there. But unless a major breakthrough in batt tech is made, long range elecs (even assuming rechg stations in the thousands are constructed nationwide in the meantime!) are a ways off still.

I have read up (road tests in mags) on medium sized hybrid SUVs available and they're starting to look good to me. I'd say 80% of day to day reg car use for me would be more than covered by their less than 50 mile daily elec range. I don't commute nowadays. For me the gas tank wouldn't be used much at all. Rechg times tho still suck.

I like the hybrid idea and think that it will be the major player until tech and the infastructure req'd for the all elec (fuel cell, hydrogen, etc) car for everyone, everywhere, scenario becomes reality. Hybrids are a good first step. Slowly wean the masses off the all gas car.

That is unless gas goes back down to two bucks!

The soon to be released four door 60 grand Tesla, even w/ the optional $20,000 long range battery, will still only JUST make it to Los Angeles (300+ miles) for me, w/ very, very lil' (if any) wiggle room. I'd be sweating bullets watching the 'miles/chg left' dial at about the Grapevine, still 50 miles shy of LA! Followed by of course 'no car in LA!' while my 80 grand Tesla gets a multi hr rechg in the hotel parking lot. And assuming some punk doesn't swipe my power cord!
Last edited by bookmark460 on February 21st, 2012, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 12:52 pm #10

It is a commodity that can fluctuate. That is why there is a futures market for the large buyer.

Also, how long does a gas station fill-up last? Number of tanker visits per-week.

Also, if there is a time lag, you pay proportionally a lot more for the next delivery.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on February 21st, 2012, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.