GAGB project #2. A Heinkel He 111C

GAGB project #2. A Heinkel He 111C

December 9th, 2016, 6:24 pm #1

As I canned my Ryan NYP from RS model that I would build together wit my M-1 I needed another project. This is what I opted for:

The kit from Hell. Totally unbuildable and other things have been said about this kit. The Heinkel He 111 from Roden.
It is plastic and it cant be worse than some of my conversion so lets go.

The cockpit walls look good I think.

I had read that the clear part was to wide so I started by adding a 0,25 mm plastic strip between the cockpit halves.

The same was done at the forward part of the roof. No big problems so far.

Then I turned to the interior. Multiple parts and as it turned out not one single bulkheat fits inside the fuselage. They are to wide, to high or just the wrong shape. The need to be cut, filed sanded to fit. Luckily they were "only" five

The fuselage are in multiple parts and when I tried the bottom it showed that the interior floor is to wide at the rear. Also it was to long.

I don't think that the instructions tell you to build like this but I found it easiest to glue the interior to the cockpit halves and then add the fuselage bottom to this. It give a sturdy part that can be joined with the rest of the fuselage later. It will also ease the painting of the interior I hope.
I am a bit worried about the wings. I have read some bad things about them.

Last edited by Björn Bäcklund on June 30th, 2017, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html

December 9th, 2016, 10:13 pm #2

Good luck!
Cheers,
Mark

December 9th, 2016, 10:26 pm #3

As I canned my Ryan NYP from RS model that I would build together wit my M-1 I needed another project. This is what I opted for:

The kit from Hell. Totally unbuildable and other things have been said about this kit. The Heinkel He 111 from Roden.

I had read that the clear part was to wide so I started by adding a 0,25 mm plastic strip between the cockpit halves.

Then I turned to the interior. Multiple parts and as it turned out not one single bulkheat fits inside the fuselage. They are to wide, to high or just the wrong shape. The need to be cut, filed sanded to fit. Luckily they were "only" five

The fuselage are in multiple parts and when I tried the bottom it showed that the interior floor is to wide at the rear. Also it was to long.

I don't think that the instructions tell you to build like this but I found it easiest to glue the interior to the cockpit halves and then add the fuselage bottom to this. It give a sturdy part that can be joined with the rest of the fuselage later. It will also ease the painting of the interior I hope.

Double good luck, but you have made a good start and are clearly thinking the job through.

December 10th, 2016, 7:39 am #4

It is completely buildable with some care and you are off to a great start. Biggest issues were the lower section under the wing (but yours looks great) and the wheel wells. They look great but needed lots of plastic removed to let the wings close. Other than that, a cool kit!

Damn the torpedoes! Keep on going BJ!

Cheers,

Dan

Ken Glass
Ken Glass

December 10th, 2016, 6:21 pm #5

I am stalled at that point on an He-111B build. I assume the He-111C variant windows do not fit any better than those of the He-111B kit. Thanks for the tip with the wheel wells; as I have not gotten to them yet. My kit's cockpit halves and fuselage bulkheads required exactly the same treatment as BJ reported for his build.

Regards,
Ken Glass

December 10th, 2016, 7:37 pm #6

Things ain't getting better.

The box for the landing gear looks nice

But when mounted in the wing it is to high so the wing parts can't join.

As it turns out the rear is at least 2 mm to high.

So I cut down the sides and thinned down the "roof" as well.

But that wasn't enough to make it fit inside the wing.

The recess in the upper part of the wing is to short so the box don't fit in it.

So I brought out a chisel and mad the recess longer and deeper. Not a beautiful work

but now the wings can be glued together. The rear joint needed to be sanded down to avoid a step between the parts.

The rivets are very nice and it is sad that this plane didn't have metal wings. The wing tips should be rounded as well so all of that nice details have to go
Last edited by Björn Bäcklund on November 6th, 2017, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html

December 10th, 2016, 9:53 pm #7

I am stalled at that point on an He-111B build. I assume the He-111C variant windows do not fit any better than those of the He-111B kit. Thanks for the tip with the wheel wells; as I have not gotten to them yet. My kit's cockpit halves and fuselage bulkheads required exactly the same treatment as BJ reported for his build.

Regards,
Ken Glass
Well...I cemented the main cockpit windows on and did lots of sanding and filling to get it to fit and finally polished it again. It looked nice in the end, though...

Side windows were just Krystal Clear.

BJ is doing a great job...like I said, my middle bottom wing part had almost a hard resin feel to it like it came from another kit! It was hard to get in but fit in the end.

Do show your build! I'll put a picture of mine up too so BJ can power through! It's an elegant machine.

Dan

Ken Glass
Ken Glass

December 11th, 2016, 1:41 am #8

Hello Dan,

I posted four photos at Plane Talking: Re: Roden early Heinkel He-111 kits, December 2 2012, 12:57 PM. It's best to not re-post them here, repeating what BJ has already covered so well with his He-111C build.

My project has stalled since 12/'12, except for acquisition of a set of replacement resin wheels: 'steelwork wheels', # SW 7201 He 111 A/B/C/D/E/F/J. I got them from either of Aviation Megastore in Amsterdam or direct from Steelwork owner, Uwe Borcher in Berlin. They offer better main wheel hub detail and finer recessed grooving between treads, over that of the kit supplied parts.

Uwe went all out filling in four and fitting the remaining four fuselage side windows on his He-111B build. My e-mail address is ken.glass@lycos.com. E-mail me and I will send you a photo scan of Uwe's method for the He-111B fuselage side windows. I hesitate to post it here as I have not asked his permission to do so. His method destroys the fine detail on the fuselage surface surrounding the side windows. It is very labor intensive and probably not of much interest to those working this kit. I have been hoping to find a less laborious method for doing the task, but prefer a better result than using Krystal Clear. Has anyone considered a clear resin pour to simulate the side windows in-place? If so can you describe or post photos of the particulars of how to do so?

Regards,
Ken Glass

December 11th, 2016, 3:25 am #9

I agree with our Krystal Klear assessment. I'm curious to see Uwe's method.

Sorry BJ!

Back to our regularly scheduled program!

Dan

December 11th, 2016, 3:30 am #10

Things ain't getting better.

The box for the landing gear looks nice

But when mounted in the wing it is to high so the wing parts can't join.

As it turns out the rear is at least 2 mm to high.

So I cut down the sides and thinned down the "roof" as well.

But that wasn't enough to make it fit inside the wing.

The recess in the upper part of the wing is to short so the box don't fit in it.

So I brought out a chisel and mad the recess longer and deeper. Not a beautiful work

but now the wings can be glued together. The rear joint needed to be sanded down to avoid a step between the parts.

The rivets are very nice and it is sad that this plane didn't have metal wings. The wing tips should be rounded as well so all of that nice details have to go
I really remember those wheel wells. You got it made, now

Great craftsmanship on display here.

Cheers,

Dan