GAGB P-6E WIP 3 and sidetracked onto a P-26

GAGB P-6E WIP 3 and sidetracked onto a P-26

December 10th, 2016, 2:36 pm #1

I've been working on the Monogram P-6E, mostly getting the Starfighter resin interior ready:

painting some bits and pieces:

and most of all fixing the molding flaw in the exhaust pipe area and getting the wheel spats ready for me to try brush painting the snow owl claws:

(Note how the primer makes the raised outlines of the claw pattern more visible.) This morning I intended to airbrush the white base on the spats, but lo and behold, the power was out in our entire neighborhood. I learned that they're doing work on the lines and the power was to be out all day. Soooo, not to be deterred, I popped open the box for the Revell P-26 and got to work on things not needing electricity.

My immediate impression was "diamond in the rough." Lots of flash and blobby molding, but in fact it cleaned up very nicely. Here are the parts after an hour or two with some sandpaper and a No. 11 blade:

Lots of raised rivets, but to my eye reasonable in size and appropriate to the subject. I'm keepin' 'em.

The cowling ring was the worst part regarding molding garbage, but some serious sanding and polishing got it looking okay. I'm thinking the front of it might be too flat, so I'm mulling over what if anything to do about it.

The seat is the same silly 'throne' I found in the Revell MC.200 I did a few years ago:

Methinks I can scratch build something a little better. An interesting thing about the P-26 is that the machine gun breeches are on the cockpit floor. I ought to try to represent them somehow. I will cheat on the instrument panel, however, as I picked up one of these:

The engine is a one-piece item including the front cover:

And there are no exhaust pipes. I'll have to cobble something together for them too.

Monogram did a much nicer job with their P-12E, which has a similar looking engine. I decided I should at least open the holes and drill out the gun barrels and a thing I'm guessing is an intake pipe:

On the other hand the Revell P-26 has one up on Monogram in the wheel dept. We get separate wheels to put into the spats--much nicer for painting than the P-6E's molded in wheels.

There was one major surprise in my box--the canopy. Does this look right to you?

I wonder if some puzzled kid somewhere has a Hurricane kit with a Peashooter windscreen. Happily for me, my P-6E kit came with two windscreens, and one of those might work for the P-26. In addition, the Yahu i.p. set includes an acetate windscreen. So I should be able to manage.

One final observation is that the kit comes with pre-drilled rigging holes. They're a bit bigger than what I would have drilled, but will do, and I'm happy to skip that task.

I'm thinking this is going to be a plessant build, including the interesting rigging arrangement. And to add to the fun factor, I've got some Starfighter decals:

There are four schemes to choose from:

Hmm, which one, which one...

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

December 10th, 2016, 5:42 pm #2

I mean...I know you are taken but those planes sure are lookers.

I really want to get me a P-26 in 72nd. Either color is fine with me...I'd do the blue!

Keep her coming and nice changes.

Dan

December 10th, 2016, 5:56 pm #3

I've been working on the Monogram P-6E, mostly getting the Starfighter resin interior ready:

and most of all fixing the molding flaw in the exhaust pipe area and getting the wheel spats ready for me to try brush painting the snow owl claws:

(Note how the primer makes the raised outlines of the claw pattern more visible.) This morning I intended to airbrush the white base on the spats, but lo and behold, the power was out in our entire neighborhood. I learned that they're doing work on the lines and the power was to be out all day. Soooo, not to be deterred, I popped open the box for the Revell P-26 and got to work on things not needing electricity.

My immediate impression was "diamond in the rough." Lots of flash and blobby molding, but in fact it cleaned up very nicely. Here are the parts after an hour or two with some sandpaper and a No. 11 blade:

Lots of raised rivets, but to my eye reasonable in size and appropriate to the subject. I'm keepin' 'em.

The cowling ring was the worst part regarding molding garbage, but some serious sanding and polishing got it looking okay. I'm thinking the front of it might be too flat, so I'm mulling over what if anything to do about it.

The seat is the same silly 'throne' I found in the Revell MC.200 I did a few years ago:

Methinks I can scratch build something a little better. An interesting thing about the P-26 is that the machine gun breeches are on the cockpit floor. I ought to try to represent them somehow. I will cheat on the instrument panel, however, as I picked up one of these:

And there are no exhaust pipes. I'll have to cobble something together for them too.

Monogram did a much nicer job with their P-12E, which has a similar looking engine. I decided I should at least open the holes and drill out the gun barrels and a thing I'm guessing is an intake pipe:

On the other hand the Revell P-26 has one up on Monogram in the wheel dept. We get separate wheels to put into the spats--much nicer for painting than the P-6E's molded in wheels.

There was one major surprise in my box--the canopy. Does this look right to you?

I wonder if some puzzled kid somewhere has a Hurricane kit with a Peashooter windscreen. Happily for me, my P-6E kit came with two windscreens, and one of those might work for the P-26. In addition, the Yahu i.p. set includes an acetate windscreen. So I should be able to manage.

One final observation is that the kit comes with pre-drilled rigging holes. They're a bit bigger than what I would have drilled, but will do, and I'm happy to skip that task.

I'm thinking this is going to be a plessant build, including the interesting rigging arrangement. And to add to the fun factor, I've got some Starfighter decals:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
If the power was off all day here, we'd freeze to death. It's -30C here this morning.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

December 10th, 2016, 8:14 pm #4

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
but $10.95!! I remember mine had 29c on the plastic bag from a discount supermarket when I built mine, but I guess i was only getting $2 a week pocket money. It is a cute kit , goes together well and you have done a nice job cleaning up the engine.

December 10th, 2016, 9:51 pm #5

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Nice P-6 progress, and I like your choice of a P-26 as a 2nd build.
Cheers,
Mark

December 11th, 2016, 12:28 am #6

If the power was off all day here, we'd freeze to death. It's -30C here this morning.
It was a pleasant +26C here yesterday. We're at about the same latitude as Havana Cuba. My kind of winter.

Stuart

December 11th, 2016, 9:50 pm #7

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Those will make a nice duo - great choice

... what an electricity cut can do

Funny to see the Hurricane canopy in your P-26 box... maybe they ran out of P-26 windshields and figured builders have to carve a P-26 windshield out of the Hurricane canopy ?

William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Matchbox - Alpha Jet : Part I - Part II (incl. PilsenKIT 2016 show report) - Part III /End
1/72 - Matchbox - Gloster Gladiator : Part I (incl Eday 2016 show report) - Part II (incl Belgian Nationals 2016 show report)
1/72 - Matchbox - F4U-4 Corsair : Prelude - Part I - Part II (incl Euro Scale Modelling 2016 show report)
1/72 - Azur - Vultee V-11 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V /End
1/144 - Trumpeter - F-16A/C Fighting Falcon Block 15/30/32 : Part I
1/144 - OzMods - F-86D Sabre : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on December 13th, 2016, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.