FW190D9 with TA152 tail Yellow 6

FW190D9 with TA152 tail Yellow 6

May 24th, 2012, 1:48 pm #1

I've seen images of brown 4 from JG26 but can anybody point me to any images of yellow 6 from KG54. There is a set of 3 profiles, of which i am aware of two of these birds..brown 4 (JG26),another example from i believe JG2 but the final example eludes me. Many thanks Paul.

May 24th, 2012, 1:54 pm #2

lkj

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 24th, 2012, 2:00 pm #3

I've seen images of brown 4 from JG26 but can anybody point me to any images of yellow 6 from KG54. There is a set of 3 profiles, of which i am aware of two of these birds..brown 4 (JG26),another example from i believe JG2 but the final example eludes me. Many thanks Paul.
while it's likely, because of the wk.#, there's no proof that the plane from KG(J)54 even had a Ta152 style tail. All that exists that I know of is a loss report showing that the unit lost a D-9 aircraft in combat and the wk.# falls in between that of "Brown 4" and Black 6". It's likely that Mr. Brown will add more detail soon if he sees this thread. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 24th, 2012, 2:16 pm #4

Yellow 6 of KG(J)27? I had heard of 2 known and 2 possibles. Brown 4 JG 26, Black 6 JG 2, then the "possibles", but the only one put to name and most often discussed of those is Yellow 6 from KG(J) 27. SO I am very interested in this also, Doras are so addicting, especially the "rare" ones! Hopefully David will post, he has a great depth of knowledge and does a good job of putting the various texts available into laymans terms!
Rob

May 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm #5

recorded D-9 within that serial range of the other two with the tail. I went along with the poster's "54" due to my lack of trust in my own memory. Thought it was incorrect and almost "corrected" it but then didn't want to look too pedantic. Now, take a deep breath and resign yourself to the fact that there's really only TWO known for sure and one PROBABLE in the form of "Yellow 6" of KG(J)27. Given the spread of wk#s though it's very possible (don't know about LIKELY) that the whole spread had "the tail". Then again is wk# 500645 (black 6) the first one to get it or what # is the last? Are these the only ones? sigh cheers, LL

May 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm #6

All profiles of this plane are conjectural. As has been said here, the werk number and tactical code are known from a KG(J)27 loss report so we know it existed. The camo has been guessed from photos of similar werk number aircraft. The unit markings are best guesses based on other aircraft from the unit. It is guessed that it has the big tail but not 100% known for sure.

The three known(?) big tailed D-9's are as follows:

-#500647 Brown 4 of JG26
-#500645 Black 6 of JG2, photographed as a burnt out wreck with only the tail remaining. There is a known colour photo of it but while notes taken from that photo exist, there is no publicly available photo we can look at.
-#500648 Yellow 6 of KG(J)27. Entirely educated guesses based on werk number and unit affiliation

I hope that helps!

Chris

May 24th, 2012, 2:33 pm #7

recorded D-9 within that serial range of the other two with the tail. I went along with the poster's "54" due to my lack of trust in my own memory. Thought it was incorrect and almost "corrected" it but then didn't want to look too pedantic. Now, take a deep breath and resign yourself to the fact that there's really only TWO known for sure and one PROBABLE in the form of "Yellow 6" of KG(J)27. Given the spread of wk#s though it's very possible (don't know about LIKELY) that the whole spread had "the tail". Then again is wk# 500645 (black 6) the first one to get it or what # is the last? Are these the only ones? sigh cheers, LL

Gotcha covered...

May 24th, 2012, 3:21 pm #8

Chris and LL thanks for that info!!! n/t

May 24th, 2012, 3:26 pm #9

I was hoping for a new one! Oh well, now my next question will be about the style of checkered tail band it did or did not have, but I will post that as a seperate thread!
Rob

May 24th, 2012, 3:31 pm #10

Gotcha covered...
lkj;l