Fw 190A-4 Question

Fw 190A-4 Question

February 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm #1

Would anyone know when the two gun and four gun wing Fw 190A-4s debuted?

I'm gathering info for a 9/JG26 Fw 190A-4 flown in October 1942 and am at a loss as to which specific weapons option to go with. G.R. Morrison provided me with outstanding camouflage and markings information but unfortunately there are no photographs/drawings available for the particular Wurger I'm building.

Many TIA for any and all help!!

February 13th, 2018, 6:24 pm #2

2x MG 151s in the wing root, and 2x MG FF/M outboard. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe those early 190s with only the two inboard guns MIGHT have been early ground attack ships... maybe Andrew Arthy or another 190 expert could confirm that.

Cheers,

Lynn

PS: Whose are you doing?

February 13th, 2018, 6:35 pm #3

Lynn,

I'm doing Oblt Otto "Stotto" Stammberger's Fw 190A-4.
Last edited by mfe59 on February 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2018, 7:13 pm #4

I'm gathering info for a 9/JG26 Fw 190A-4 flown in October 1942 and am at a loss as to which specific weapons option to go with. G.R. Morrison provided me with outstanding camouflage and markings information but unfortunately there are no photographs/drawings available for the particular Wurger I'm building.

Hello Marin,
The outboard MG FF 20mm cannons mounted outboard turned out be more trouble than it was worth. Constant jamming, relative slow firing plus the drums only carried 55 rounds. Finally they replaced it with the much better MG 151 20mm cannon With the A-6 sub-type. However, some pilots still felt the out board guns were not necessary and had them removed.
Cheers, Jerry

February 13th, 2018, 7:58 pm #5

Since I bought the 2 gun with flaps version of the overtree selections, my kit came with underwing cannon cover with no ejection port molded onto the lower wing part. Just like any F series would have. If one selected the 4 gun version then the underwing cannon cover came with an ejection port. Eduard didn't design their 190A lower wing parts to have interchangeable covers like say, Hasegawa did. I'm pretty sure they will market two versions of the A-5 through the A-8 as either "Heavy" or "Light" depending on the number of cannons of the aircraft depicted. Then with the case of an A-8/R2 or R8 there would have to be another stand alone wing part to accommodate the 30mm outboard cannon. I would be willing to bet that the fuselage halves for a Sturm fighter will have molded on armor plates, too. Whew, there are going to be a lot of versions in the next few years.

February 14th, 2018, 12:52 am #6

Thank you, gentlemen!

February 14th, 2018, 1:56 am #7

As Mr. Crandall said, the outer guns were often removed since they were the least effective. The Hasegawa A-4 kit includes both kinds of underwing panels, so you can do it either way straight from the box. Do you have any pictures of other planes from the same unit or time frame?

Thanks!

Chris