Future varnish question,

Future varnish question,

July 10th, 2012, 6:49 pm #1

Just wondering...is the Future varnish glossy or dull when applied?

Had a set back on my T-55 which made me have to redo some areas on it. So now I'm at the point where I can continue onwards. I also want to be sure on something as well.

Can I apply the varnish on the model...let dry...apply decal...then apply varnish again??

Thanks,

Doug

July 10th, 2012, 7:09 pm #2

you can apply decals over it although decal solvents like Micro Sol will turn future a milky white. Reapplications of Future will clear that problem up. I use it as a gloss finish on things like cars but never on armor

July 10th, 2012, 9:01 pm #3

Had a set back on my T-55 which made me have to redo some areas on it. So now I'm at the point where I can continue onwards. I also want to be sure on something as well.

Can I apply the varnish on the model...let dry...apply decal...then apply varnish again??

Thanks,

Doug
Future Floor Wax is an Acrylic Varnish and is glossy when applied. It is perfect to appyly decals to, and then be sealed with a top coat of Future. For armor, where you need a dull finish apply a coat of dull coat (acrylic or enamal) and weather as usual.

For everything you need to know about the uses and application of Future, see this site: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Hope this helps.

July 11th, 2012, 1:53 am #4

Thanks,

Doug
Future does produce a glossy finish so many modelers will introduce a flattening material or only use it as a pre-decal sealer. If you wish to use flattened Future as a final coat here are a couple of suggested ratios of Tamiya flat base for different effects:

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

If you get too much of anybody's flat base on the surface of your model you run the risk of making it all go white. No thinning is required just make sure it is well mixed.

I use the satin formula and apply 3 coats after the base color has been applied. ( Of course, this is after a couple of days worth of drying ) This is the preferred method I use due the semi gloss finish of most of the decals I use:

I perform the usual routine of getting the decal ready:

1. cut out the desired decal

2. soak in warm water for just 10 seconds and then let the decal sit in it's own juices ,so to speak, until the decal has lifted from the material.

Then apply decal to the model in the area that I just put the 3 coats of future / flat base. I then use a cotton swab roll / pat dry and ensure the decal doesn't lift and all the air bubbles have been released.

After that is all said and done, I apply a light coat of solvaset and this melts away the 3 coats of future in the area of the decal edge and it blends in nicely. It's more of a "trial and error" process if you catch my drift. It took me a while to get the decal to blend in to look like it was painted on but, after a little bit of weathering, the decal disapeared behind all the muck and filth.

Hope this helps

July 12th, 2012, 6:37 pm #5

I appreciate it :)