Full of sound and fury, pt. 5: The Scary Part

Full of sound and fury, pt. 5: The Scary Part

April 15th, 2012, 1:32 pm #1

The painting is now done, and so it's time to mount the wings and install the rigging. Scary for me, but fortunately the struts fit well and positively so it went well. I used stainless steel wire, which is a bit tricky since it's a challenge to keep it nice and straight, but I think it looks good--just like steel wires, in fact! My installation method (threading the wires through holes in the bottom of the fuselage to pull the wires taut) worked well, and those holes are now covered by the radiator.

A couple of shots:

It's looking very much as though I may actually complete a rigged biplane! Barring unexpected interruptions, I hope to finish this up tomorrow.

Stuart

James Venables
James Venables

April 15th, 2012, 1:52 pm #2

What a brilliant idea - threading the wires through to a common point where they can be pulled taut then hidden by another fitting. That one is now locked away in the memory vault for future reference!

Wondering though - how did you secure the wires once pulled taut? Were you able to just twist them together or did it need something extra to hold them tight and in place?

April 15th, 2012, 2:09 pm #3

The holes in the bottom of the fuselage were actually just for the flying wires, of which there are four. I drilled a separate hole for each wire. I secured one end of the wire with CA into a hole drilled part way through the upper wing. I then pulled the other end taut from under the fuselage and fixed it in place with a drop of CA. The steel wires require a bit of "gentle but firm" pulling to prevent them from ending up bowed. Having the holes covered by the radiator basically meant I didn't have to be particularly careful or sparing with the CA on that end.

Stuart

April 15th, 2012, 2:37 pm #4

The painting is now done, and so it's time to mount the wings and install the rigging. Scary for me, but fortunately the struts fit well and positively so it went well. I used stainless steel wire, which is a bit tricky since it's a challenge to keep it nice and straight, but I think it looks good--just like steel wires, in fact! My installation method (threading the wires through holes in the bottom of the fuselage to pull the wires taut) worked well, and those holes are now covered by the radiator.

A couple of shots:

It's looking very much as though I may actually complete a rigged biplane! Barring unexpected interruptions, I hope to finish this up tomorrow.

Stuart
That's looking good - and you tackled the rigging like a pro

I still hold on to the stretched sprue method - too scared and lazy to try something else, but your method will be much stronger

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

April 15th, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

would be more difficult--hard to stretch evenly, easily broken, can't bend it. On the other hand, I suppose there's no need to pull it straight, which is a major hassle. Hmm, perhaps I should try stretched sprue next time!

Stuart

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2012, 4:21 pm #6

A couple of shots:

Stuart
I have never had the guts to attempt the rigging-- kudos to you all

April 15th, 2012, 10:37 pm #7

A couple of shots:

Stuart
Rigging isn't as painful as people make it seem. The models you've done so far definitely make you more than capable.

Looks sooo nice.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

April 16th, 2012, 8:00 pm #8

A couple of shots:

Stuart
Way cool looking Fury, Stuart - looking forward to the ta-da-boom finish! Spiffy job on that there rigging, too!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish