Full of sound and fury, pt. 4

Full of sound and fury, pt. 4

April 13th, 2012, 2:36 am #1

More painting done on the Fury. After doing the yellow on the rear deck, I masked that and sprayed an undercoat of gloss black for the Alclad:

Then Alclad "Aluminum" for the rear (fabric covered) part of the fuselage:

And then Alclad "Duralumin" for the front (metal covered) part:

I would have preferred "Polished Aluminum", but don't have any. I at least wanted a contrast.

I then felt that the yellow rear deck looked too smooth since the stringer effect got sanded down during seam clean-up:

I came up with the "clever" idea of masking and spraying a lighter yellow to try and trompe the old oeil into imagining the stringers. I used small plastic rod as masks:

But it seems I didn't make the new yellow contrastive enough with the old, and it really didn't have much effect:

Oh well, nice try. Life's too short to keep whacking at it; I'll simply do better next time.

And then finally, on with the decals:

A few small decals are still needed on the front of the fuselage, but those will wait until I do a semi-matte clear coat over the fabric covered parts.

I also put on the wing and tail decals:

The wing decals were a bit scary from being so big, but worked out fine. The pronounced wing ribs really grabbed the decal so not much repositioning was possible, but fortunately I got them reasonably well placed right off the backing paper. I used MicroSet and MicroSol with the usual good results.

Next I need to put on the little telescopic gun sight and windshield and a few little decals, and then it will be time at last to put all the pieces together.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

April 13th, 2012, 5:49 pm #2

That looks REALLY sharp. Maybe you could re-mask the deck? Of course, I don't know how painful that was to do. Looks great regardless.

The yellow, silver, bright and colorful markings...a real winner!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

April 13th, 2012, 9:36 pm #3

More painting done on the Fury. After doing the yellow on the rear deck, I masked that and sprayed an undercoat of gloss black for the Alclad:

I would have preferred "Polished Aluminum", but don't have any. I at least wanted a contrast.

I then felt that the yellow rear deck looked too smooth since the stringer effect got sanded down during seam clean-up:

I came up with the "clever" idea of masking and spraying a lighter yellow to try and trompe the old oeil into imagining the stringers. I used small plastic rod as masks:

But it seems I didn't make the new yellow contrastive enough with the old, and it really didn't have much effect:

Oh well, nice try. Life's too short to keep whacking at it; I'll simply do better next time.

A few small decals are still needed on the front of the fuselage, but those will wait until I do a semi-matte clear coat over the fabric covered parts.

The wing decals were a bit scary from being so big, but worked out fine. The pronounced wing ribs really grabbed the decal so not much repositioning was possible, but fortunately I got them reasonably well placed right off the backing paper. I used MicroSet and MicroSol with the usual good results.

Next I need to put on the little telescopic gun sight and windshield and a few little decals, and then it will be time at last to put all the pieces together.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Excellent work, Stuart! You've got a beautiful finich going with that paint and the decals look super sharp. Great idea with the plastic rods as "masking agents" - I'm gonna try that!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

April 14th, 2012, 6:52 pm #4

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
I like the contrast between the fabric silver and the metal silver, looks good.

Regards,
Adrian

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2012, 2:41 am #5

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
looks amazing--

April 15th, 2012, 1:41 pm #6

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
And that first picture really had puzzling me for a second... I thought it was some kind of an insect (grasshopper?)

But I sure was awake with the next pictures - wow - that is very nice work Stuart, looks nice and clean and sharp... I'm glad you're doing these oldies really justice and proove the old Matchbox kits (or at least some of them) are still great builds

Never mind about the rear decking - I think the stringer effect was only visible under certain angles... well that's my way out anyway

Looking forward to see this one finished

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God