Full of sound and fury--Done

Full of sound and fury--Done

April 17th, 2012, 5:09 am #1

I finished the Fury this morning--strips of Bare Metal Foil (thanks again, JP!) on the prop edges, and then installing the prop and forward cowling piece.

Let me just say, I reeeally like this kit and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to have a go at a biplane. Fit is good and parts are reasonably well molded. A touch of sanding helped with the prickly rivets. The main thing I should have improved but didn't is the overdone wing ribs. This is the old Matchbox kit reboxed by Revell, and it's sure a golden oldie.

I built it mostly out of box, with just a couple of do-dads to help the interior a bit, plus the rigging and aforementioned strips of BMF. The wing and tail rigging is stainless steel beading wire, the undercarriage rigging is fishing line (which I don't like--it resists paint and CA), and the antenna lines are Invisible Thread painted silver. The finish is Alclad and Gunze enamels, with the prop "woodenized" with artist's oils.

The rigging turned out not to be difficult. I was a bit tense from inexperience, but it came off without drama. Next time I'll be able to relax and enjoy the process more. One thing that may not be accurate: I followed the box top art in putting two rigging wires per side from the fin to the horizontal stabilizers. I've seen drawings with just one wire. Dunno which is right, but I chose to do two for the extra practice.

Decals were just fine--thin, strong, opaque and responded well to MicroSol. No silvering at all.

There are some blemishes, and I didn't get the landing gear perfectly level, but the fun and satisfaction factor was very high, and it was a pleasure working on a kit of such a truly beautiful airplane.

Some pictures:

Thanks for looking and for the encouragement along the way!

Stuart

April 17th, 2012, 6:33 pm #2

...and you have really done it justice! Fantastic.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 17th, 2012, 10:28 pm #3

I finished the Fury this morning--strips of Bare Metal Foil (thanks again, JP!) on the prop edges, and then installing the prop and forward cowling piece.

Let me just say, I reeeally like this kit and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to have a go at a biplane. Fit is good and parts are reasonably well molded. A touch of sanding helped with the prickly rivets. The main thing I should have improved but didn't is the overdone wing ribs. This is the old Matchbox kit reboxed by Revell, and it's sure a golden oldie.

I built it mostly out of box, with just a couple of do-dads to help the interior a bit, plus the rigging and aforementioned strips of BMF. The wing and tail rigging is stainless steel beading wire, the undercarriage rigging is fishing line (which I don't like--it resists paint and CA), and the antenna lines are Invisible Thread painted silver. The finish is Alclad and Gunze enamels, with the prop "woodenized" with artist's oils.

The rigging turned out not to be difficult. I was a bit tense from inexperience, but it came off without drama. Next time I'll be able to relax and enjoy the process more. One thing that may not be accurate: I followed the box top art in putting two rigging wires per side from the fin to the horizontal stabilizers. I've seen drawings with just one wire. Dunno which is right, but I chose to do two for the extra practice.

Decals were just fine--thin, strong, opaque and responded well to MicroSol. No silvering at all.

There are some blemishes, and I didn't get the landing gear perfectly level, but the fun and satisfaction factor was very high, and it was a pleasure working on a kit of such a truly beautiful airplane.

Some pictures:

Stuart
I have gone back and looked at the build and I really like your work, and the way you proceeded. The finish is wonderful right down to the metal foil. The colors are wonderful and your rigging looks the part! I want to try one now. Thanks for inspiration and advice. GREAT build

Randy
Randy

April 17th, 2012, 10:32 pm #4

I didn't mean to be anonymous in the above post

April 18th, 2012, 1:52 am #5

...and you have really done it justice! Fantastic.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
Your Fe2 scratch-build was in large part motivation for this--heck, what kind of wimp would I be if rigging a mere Fury would scare me off? Glad I took the plunge, although scratching a Fee is probably not in my near future!

Stuart

April 18th, 2012, 1:53 am #6

I have gone back and looked at the build and I really like your work, and the way you proceeded. The finish is wonderful right down to the metal foil. The colors are wonderful and your rigging looks the part! I want to try one now. Thanks for inspiration and advice. GREAT build
It really is a sweet kit; I'm tempted to do another one myself.

Stuart

April 18th, 2012, 7:00 pm #7

Some pictures:

Stuart
A joy to follow - and indeed a true beauty

Your rigging looks excellent, I think I must try to copy it one day - and that's a good pointer about the metal foil on the prop, looks very refined

I think the Revell decals are ok in general, I still have an old Matchbox kit and I wonder how these decals will work out - though I always fancied doing a camo version one day (I have many "one day"s)

Great pictures too - thanks !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

April 18th, 2012, 8:08 pm #8

Some pictures:

Stuart
I can hear the wind in the cables...
Greetings,
Daniele

April 19th, 2012, 7:04 am #9

Some pictures:

Stuart
Always such a beautiful airframe, and the color schemes of the era just enhanced it so well.

Great job all around.

April 19th, 2012, 2:50 pm #10

Some pictures:

Stuart
Stuart I love it! I must build one of these and will surely use your build as a reference. Tim