Fujimi F-86s - Obtaining correct wing dihedral...

Fujimi F-86s - Obtaining correct wing dihedral...

June 6th, 2012, 6:38 am #1

... Does anybody have a solution to obtaining the correct wing dihedral on Fujimi's F-86s?

Fujimi molded their -86 wings flat, & getting some dihedral in the things has frustrated me so far.

I've tried cutting the bottom wing section in half, but that didn't come out too pretty. Also tried filing the lower fuselage inwards, but again that wasn't "an exact science", and I was left w/some fairly homely gaps.

I remember reading a Paul Boyer article / kit review a while back regarding the new Airfix -86 and how they fixed the dihedral problem, but unfortunately I've got 4-5 Fujimi offerings sitting around doing nothing until I can find a dihedral fix.

Any suggestions on how you solved this one, other than throwing 'em in the trash, would be appreciated!

Regards,
Tomt.

June 6th, 2012, 7:35 pm #2

If you are talking about the Fujimi 1/72 scale Sabres (I've the RF-86 kit in my stash) the solution could be quite simple in my opinion :
Just cut away the lower wings from the fuselage piece at the wings root, make a spar of proper dimensions and with the right dihedral out of plastic strips or brass tube and join it securely to the central wing/fuselage sections, add a plastic strip to the root of the lower wings to fill the void due to the dihedral implementation and shave off some plastic from the upper wings parts for the same reason .

Just my 2 cents idea - good luck !!!

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

June 7th, 2012, 2:21 am #3

... Does anybody have a solution to obtaining the correct wing dihedral on Fujimi's F-86s?

Fujimi molded their -86 wings flat, & getting some dihedral in the things has frustrated me so far.

I've tried cutting the bottom wing section in half, but that didn't come out too pretty. Also tried filing the lower fuselage inwards, but again that wasn't "an exact science", and I was left w/some fairly homely gaps.

I remember reading a Paul Boyer article / kit review a while back regarding the new Airfix -86 and how they fixed the dihedral problem, but unfortunately I've got 4-5 Fujimi offerings sitting around doing nothing until I can find a dihedral fix.

Any suggestions on how you solved this one, other than throwing 'em in the trash, would be appreciated!

Regards,
Tomt.
Sand about 1/64" off and I can almost guarantee you'll get the right dihedral.

June 7th, 2012, 7:12 pm #4

If you are talking about the Fujimi 1/72 scale Sabres (I've the RF-86 kit in my stash) the solution could be quite simple in my opinion :
Just cut away the lower wings from the fuselage piece at the wings root, make a spar of proper dimensions and with the right dihedral out of plastic strips or brass tube and join it securely to the central wing/fuselage sections, add a plastic strip to the root of the lower wings to fill the void due to the dihedral implementation and shave off some plastic from the upper wings parts for the same reason .

Just my 2 cents idea - good luck !!!

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
... taking a hammer to the thing, which was my next step!

Appreciated!

Regards,
Tomt.

June 7th, 2012, 7:15 pm #5

Sand about 1/64" off and I can almost guarantee you'll get the right dihedral.
... and see what happens.

Thank you for the inputs!

Regards,
Tomt.