frustrating 1/350 Seaview hull seam

frustrating 1/350 Seaview hull seam

Joined: March 10th, 2005, 5:37 pm

April 24th, 2012, 4:12 pm #1

its the kind of kit where you have to get the seam right or its the first thing you will always see.

a few small sections I have gotten the seam to disappear but I still feel a slight bulge and when I did a test prime over the seam to see how it looked - well the seam still shows.

I've masked very close to the seam so I would not have to take off a lot of extra putty - maybe that is the problem. I might have to sand down the higher side instead of adding more putty, but I have to be very aware of feathering out the sanding so I don't leave an obvious line...

One good thing about subs with this kind of center seam though is that you always get a second chance with the other side. If this one fails, I can give it one more try.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 17th, 2006, 1:18 pm

April 24th, 2012, 7:18 pm #2

at midpoint. The hull's not that much longer than the 'one piecer' 72nd RoG U-Boat's hull halves. I wish Moebius/Platz had gone that route, even w/ the req'd much longer box and perhaps added cost.

I backed mine w/ a bunch of 1/4" x 1/2 x 12" plex strips after chopping up gaps in all the interior molded bracing. Let the glue set for a couple wks and then had at it. It was an OK kit fit but not OK enuff for me, so lots of thin coats of putty and Mr Surfacer, constant eyeballing down the length. Lots of checking w/ a long steel straight edge. I've wanted a lg scale kit of Seaview for a long time so I wanted zero traces of the joint line and for it to look straight, true, like a one piecer.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 12th, 2004, 3:14 pm

April 24th, 2012, 8:54 pm #3

its the kind of kit where you have to get the seam right or its the first thing you will always see.

a few small sections I have gotten the seam to disappear but I still feel a slight bulge and when I did a test prime over the seam to see how it looked - well the seam still shows.

I've masked very close to the seam so I would not have to take off a lot of extra putty - maybe that is the problem. I might have to sand down the higher side instead of adding more putty, but I have to be very aware of feathering out the sanding so I don't leave an obvious line...

One good thing about subs with this kind of center seam though is that you always get a second chance with the other side. If this one fails, I can give it one more try.
But don't be stingy with the putty either. There is zero surface detail to worry about so you may just need to blend things in a bit better.

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 10th, 2005, 5:37 pm

April 24th, 2012, 10:13 pm #4

thx, I am probably trying to get it done with a bare minimum of putty, from years of applying way, way too much.

will make another attempt tonight.


Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 12th, 2004, 3:14 pm

April 24th, 2012, 11:40 pm #5

I recall saying I had to putty the snot out of it due to poor fit. End result was good, though. I still have some WIP pictures

Some of the filling around the engine housings

[/IMG]

Several layers of filler on the bottom

[/IMG]

The top of the tail had poor fit too

[/IMG]

And the sail...

[/IMG]

I added some interior details

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Another obvious mistake on the kit is the front windows are curved but on the filming miniature and full size set they are flat.

[/IMG]

Quote
Like
Share