Frog Fairey Gannet part 3

Frog Fairey Gannet part 3

May 29th, 2011, 1:30 pm #1

Hello All,

Here's the progress on the Fairey Gannet. A bit of hypothetical wheel well detail, Brake discs from plastic card and a standard hole punch, leg and hub from cocktail stick (didn't have right size plastic rod):

Pilots painted. Consoles from balsa. I turned a head to get some animation in there. When you reach the plastic shelf, just keep painting...

Dug out the air intake and built a balsa + filler duct:

Canopy introduces a little bit of distortion. I can understand why they didn't go overboard on cockpit detail now!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

May 30th, 2011, 12:01 am #2

I was kind of rolling my eyes when earlier I saw what the kit cockpit was like, with the molded in heads. But Wow, you really made it look splendid keeping the original kit design. I love that.

I've never thought of using balsa for parts. Trade-off between ease of carving/filing versus having to seal to paint?

Stuart

Massimo La Civita
Massimo La Civita

May 30th, 2011, 8:10 am #3

Hello All,

Here's the progress on the Fairey Gannet. A bit of hypothetical wheel well detail, Brake discs from plastic card and a standard hole punch, leg and hub from cocktail stick (didn't have right size plastic rod):

Pilots painted. Consoles from balsa. I turned a head to get some animation in there. When you reach the plastic shelf, just keep painting...

Canopy introduces a little bit of distortion. I can understand why they didn't go overboard on cockpit detail now!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
It's incredible what can be achieved just turning a head. Life has come in the cockpit. Great painting as well.

May 30th, 2011, 3:16 pm #4

I was kind of rolling my eyes when earlier I saw what the kit cockpit was like, with the molded in heads. But Wow, you really made it look splendid keeping the original kit design. I love that.

I've never thought of using balsa for parts. Trade-off between ease of carving/filing versus having to seal to paint?

Stuart
I find balsa to be very convenient. You can finish it either by plating it with plastic card (my fave for miscellaneous boxes) or use filler over the top and sand. In both cases superglue acts as a hardener and sealer - no need to break out the talcum powder! I have also used balsa to make a plunge mould master (I did that on a DH9 build a while back) so you get the ease of carving balsa and the benefit of a firm plastic part afterwards.

Regards,
Adrian

May 30th, 2011, 3:18 pm #5

It's incredible what can be achieved just turning a head. Life has come in the cockpit. Great painting as well.
I was quite pleased with the effect - mind you, there wasn't much else I could do...

Regards,
Adrian

May 30th, 2011, 9:26 pm #6

Hello All,

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
...you're earning an A+ on this one, Adrian. Way to go in bringing this ancient kit up to a better standard. Very good painting on the figures and nice touch turning that crewman's head.
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 30th, 2011, 9:28 pm #7

Hello All,

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
are you another old-school masochist? I been following this along and you are doing a great job on that old piece of plastic.

Cheers, Vic

May 31st, 2011, 9:20 am #8

I'm a bit scared of Tamiwaga. This way, when I screw something up I can always say "well, it's not up to modern standards...".

Thanks,
Adrian

May 31st, 2011, 9:24 am #9

...it needs the crew for a bit of colour and interest. I've got the DSG on now and, without wishing to start an FAA flame war, I'm finding the colour scheme a teeny weeny bit dull - they didn't even get weathered much.

Regards,
Adrian

June 1st, 2011, 7:05 pm #10

Hello All,

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
I really like the crew! Old fashioned modeling at its best. Keep it up.