FR-1 Fireball Landing Gear and LG Bay Colors?

FR-1 Fireball Landing Gear and LG Bay Colors?

August 6th, 2012, 6:04 pm #1

I'm working on Czech Models' kit of the FR-1 Fireball. According to the Squadron mini "In Action" book on the FR-1, and the Planes of Fame air museum, the landing gear legs and landing gear bays are white. For the time frame when this aircraft was in service, surely these items should be Gloss Sea Blue along with the rest of the airframe (except for the anti-glare panel)? Any thoughts? I know it's a restored aircraft and we can't always go with the restoration, but I thought lanes of Fame was supposed to be pretty accurate with their restorations.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

August 6th, 2012, 6:33 pm #2

It may be a restoration, but it looks pretty good to me.

However, this is a period photo, which I assume shows blue landing gear.

?w=949
Last edited by ronsm on August 6th, 2012, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm #3

Photo Number Two definitely seems to support my theory.

Also looks like tape over the gunports, a good shot of what I think is the gun camera window and an un-faired bomb pylon. You can also see the arming wire that goes from the pylon to the fuse vane on the front of the bomb.

Thanks for sharing.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

August 6th, 2012, 7:17 pm #4

it was just a quick Yahoo search for images. n/t

August 6th, 2012, 7:44 pm #5

I'm working on Czech Models' kit of the FR-1 Fireball. According to the Squadron mini "In Action" book on the FR-1, and the Planes of Fame air museum, the landing gear legs and landing gear bays are white. For the time frame when this aircraft was in service, surely these items should be Gloss Sea Blue along with the rest of the airframe (except for the anti-glare panel)? Any thoughts? I know it's a restored aircraft and we can't always go with the restoration, but I thought lanes of Fame was supposed to be pretty accurate with their restorations.

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

They were GSB
Last edited by MikeinMac on August 6th, 2012, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 12:51 am #6

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

Probably Chino, don't know when. From my own slide collection.

[/IMG]

Rick L.

August 7th, 2012, 2:58 am #7

He had a small lot after the original Planes of Fame & Cars of the Stars museum closed, where everything was crammed together and subject to vandalism. There was a hole in the chain link fence where people could go in and do whatever. I have pictures there too, and I think the gear looked like they were originally blue, as well.

August 7th, 2012, 7:11 am #8

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

There are a couple of pictures here:http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2011/12/br ... esign.html

The wheels are usually blue but dull aluminum ones are not unknown, nose and/or main. Note the nose wheel in the first picture is dull aluminum with the outboard side of the main wheels blue.

August 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm #9

Thanks, Tommy. n/t
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN