Four Connies - Decals Started

Four Connies - Decals Started

June 10th, 2010, 6:20 pm #1

Hi y'all - I was hoping my next post on the 4 Connies project would be the final installment, but a partially flooded basement due to a torrential 12-hour downpour delayed things again. Managed to stop the deluge before it reached the model man-cave. Whew! Decalling has started with the spectacular National Airlines version on one of the three Minicraft kits:

This beautiful decal set is by Airways Graphics International, which I picked up online from Airline Hobby Supplies. A cautionary note: I didn't sweat the fuselage colour demarcation lines, figuring the decals would cover it. But they're very translucent, and the paint line showed through. Ah well, it's only noticeable close up:

The upside, though, is that the pencil panel line representing the rudder shows through quite well, elimnating the need to redo the pencil after the decal is on:

A further note on pencil panel lines in 1/144 scale: use an HB3 or 4 pencil (thanks for the tip, Woz!), sharpened to a fine point. The edge draws nice and delicate and the lead is hard as a nail. I left the panel lines at rudders only. The pencil, as fine as this line is, still looks overdone on the fuselage and wings. Guess that explains why I've never seen other modellers do it here in this scale:

The Airways Graphics Connie decals also come with a separate sheet for de-icer boots and wingwalk stripes. This sheet is also available on it's own and I picked up enough to do all three Minicraft Connies:

The boots and stripes are very delicate, however, and will stretch if you fiddle with 'em too much. I also found that bits flaked off after applying decal setting solution:

Easily fixed up with more decal, and some paint touchup.
For the Revell Connie kit, I picked up an Air France decal sheet from Cocardes Hobbies in - where else - France. Again, a beautifully printed decal set, but here's the weird thing. The Revell kit features clear plastic windows, but this decal sheet has no window cutouts, and doesn't include window decals. So you're left to try to get this rather thick decal to snuggle down as best you can over the windows, then cut out the openings with a sharp knife. A tricky business that didn't go that well for me:

I may try a fine-tip black marker around the window edges to try to hide that damaged look. The one piece wing tank decal didn't wrap around the nose tip very well. Even cutting the next one into two pieces left a gap. So I mixed some basic Testors gloss blue with a few drops of black and dipped the wing tank in end first. The blue tank tips aren't on the real thing, but it's a neat way to hide the botched decal job:

Decalling has now begun on the Lufthansa and TWA versions as well:

Hope you like. With any luck I'll get the time to finish up these babies soon!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 10th, 2010, 7:10 pm #2

On what is one of the best looking aircraft ever designed. I still remember my dad taking me up on the roof observation deck of on of the airlines at Idler wild Airport and seeing the Connie's. Have you seen the hi-res profile of D-ALIN on Wikipedia?

Marc
http://wingnutmodels.com/

June 10th, 2010, 8:12 pm #3

Hi y'all - I was hoping my next post on the 4 Connies project would be the final installment, but a partially flooded basement due to a torrential 12-hour downpour delayed things again. Managed to stop the deluge before it reached the model man-cave. Whew! Decalling has started with the spectacular National Airlines version on one of the three Minicraft kits:

This beautiful decal set is by Airways Graphics International, which I picked up online from Airline Hobby Supplies. A cautionary note: I didn't sweat the fuselage colour demarcation lines, figuring the decals would cover it. But they're very translucent, and the paint line showed through. Ah well, it's only noticeable close up:

The upside, though, is that the pencil panel line representing the rudder shows through quite well, elimnating the need to redo the pencil after the decal is on:

A further note on pencil panel lines in 1/144 scale: use an HB3 or 4 pencil (thanks for the tip, Woz!), sharpened to a fine point. The edge draws nice and delicate and the lead is hard as a nail. I left the panel lines at rudders only. The pencil, as fine as this line is, still looks overdone on the fuselage and wings. Guess that explains why I've never seen other modellers do it here in this scale:

The Airways Graphics Connie decals also come with a separate sheet for de-icer boots and wingwalk stripes. This sheet is also available on it's own and I picked up enough to do all three Minicraft Connies:

The boots and stripes are very delicate, however, and will stretch if you fiddle with 'em too much. I also found that bits flaked off after applying decal setting solution:

For the Revell Connie kit, I picked up an Air France decal sheet from Cocardes Hobbies in - where else - France. Again, a beautifully printed decal set, but here's the weird thing. The Revell kit features clear plastic windows, but this decal sheet has no window cutouts, and doesn't include window decals. So you're left to try to get this rather thick decal to snuggle down as best you can over the windows, then cut out the openings with a sharp knife. A tricky business that didn't go that well for me:

I may try a fine-tip black marker around the window edges to try to hide that damaged look. The one piece wing tank decal didn't wrap around the nose tip very well. Even cutting the next one into two pieces left a gap. So I mixed some basic Testors gloss blue with a few drops of black and dipped the wing tank in end first. The blue tank tips aren't on the real thing, but it's a neat way to hide the botched decal job:

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Nice looking Connies!

MP

June 10th, 2010, 9:12 pm #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
foreign Connies. But your builds are looking great. Dad worked on EAL Connie engines so I am partial. John

June 10th, 2010, 9:35 pm #5

On what is one of the best looking aircraft ever designed. I still remember my dad taking me up on the roof observation deck of on of the airlines at Idler wild Airport and seeing the Connie's. Have you seen the hi-res profile of D-ALIN on Wikipedia?

Marc
http://wingnutmodels.com/
Nope, didn't see this one - thanks for passing it along. BIG pic! Thanks for the comment!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6;
Connies Pt.7

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 10th, 2010, 9:37 pm #6

Nice looking Connies!

MP
...And if they sound as good as the Super Constellation looks - I'll buy their records! Thanks MP!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6;
Connies Pt.7

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 10th, 2010, 9:44 pm #7

foreign Connies. But your builds are looking great. Dad worked on EAL Connie engines so I am partial. John
I like the EAL scheme too - great colours and markings. I would have snagged a sheet if I could've found one in this scale! Maybe I didn't look hard enough. I'm sure your Dad loved the sound of those big Connie engines! I met a guy a few years back who was maintaining the engines on one of the few C-46 Commandos still flying in Canada. He liked the roar of the engines best: "Sounds like a Harley flying by," he said. What's it like working on those engines, I asked. He thought about it for a second then replied: "They spit oil like a snake spits venom." Har! Glad you like the builds!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.7

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 10th, 2010, 11:13 pm #8

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Superb work Bravo!

June 10th, 2010, 11:41 pm #9

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Hi Ted,

Wow I really like your connies, great colour schemes, very eye catching.

That pencil line technique looks really nice and crisp, well done.

Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers

Jim