Ford GT40 kits

Ford GT40 kits

November 2nd, 2010, 7:54 pm #1

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what is out there for GT40 kits in any scale.

Thanks,
Tom

November 2nd, 2010, 8:16 pm #2

There are about 8 different boxings of the Fujimi GT40. It builds up very well and catches the look of the car very well. There were two boxings of it by Revell in the late '90s. If you find these they are the exact same kit. These are all curbside kits with no opening engine cover.

I've built half of the eight Ford factory entries for the '66 race and have plans for the other half.

I also have the kit of the '68 version that has the removable engine cover and I have the HRM resin engine kit to detail the engine.

Trumpeter has a 1:12 GT40 but the consensus is that they have scaled up a diecast to create their kit and a lot of the detail is rather clunky. There are aftermarket details for it and some modelers are doing great work with it but it's too pricey for me.

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus
Last edited by Daryl_Huhtala on November 2nd, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 3rd, 2010, 3:14 am #3

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Tom
Remember they are based on a kit released from about 1965 with mid-60s fit and finish. At least they most closely match the early GT-40s from Daytona and Sebring that year. Usually there are IMC kits on Ebay but they haven't been reissued since at least the late '70s (Testors) and you will be re-entering an old and trying phase of modeling history. Except for being quasi-curbsides I've not heard much bad about the Fujimi kits. Stradasports.com sells engine bay kits for them which add a lot.
Last edited by junkman3353 on November 3rd, 2010, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 3rd, 2010, 2:29 pm #4

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Tom
The nice Fujimi/Revell kit (an easy, fun build, BTW) is a MKII, not the more common GT40.

Both Aurora and IMC kitted the GT40. The IMCs are now rarer and can be found only on eBay. Revell repopped the Aurora kit about a decade ago--they should be more reasonable on eBay. Both kits are supposed to be bee-yotches to build.

I have a Mini-Exotics resin body/transkit for the beautiful Mirage III. Pretty car, but I don't think I'll ever get around to building it. It's long out of production and every so often I get in the mood to put it on eBay.

"Don't let us get sick,
Don't let us get old,
Don't let us get stupid, all right?"

--Warren Zevon

"Two out of three ain't bad."

--Meat Loaf (actually Jim Steinman)

November 3rd, 2010, 10:49 pm #5

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Tom
There are/were a number of resin kits:

Starter 1/43 1968 Le Mans GT40

Le Mans Miniatures Ford GT40 Winner LM 69 1/24

I'm pretty sure there were others in both companies' lineups.

Ken
Last edited by kentak on November 3rd, 2010, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 4th, 2010, 7:52 am #6

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Tom
http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/search ... al=&back=2

Mostly ready mades but there are some 24th, 43rd and poss one or two 87th kits in there too.

AMR made top Q metal 43rd kits of many versions, inc the roadster, from Le Mans and a few other races. They often show up on eBay. Usually over $100 US. That's where I got my roadster kit 3-4 yrs ago.

Marsh/Thundersport also kitted some very good metal 43rd kits of the GTs, inc the Mk IV.

Le Mans Miniatures had a couple of resin kits in 87th, along w/ their more usual 43rd and 24ths, of the Le Mans winners.

I recall MPC (?) in the early 70s producing a 24th (?) kit of the Mk IV. There might have been a clear version too if I'm recalling correctly.

Most all OOP, so eBay would be the best route.

November 5th, 2010, 5:43 am #7

There are about 8 different boxings of the Fujimi GT40. It builds up very well and catches the look of the car very well. There were two boxings of it by Revell in the late '90s. If you find these they are the exact same kit. These are all curbside kits with no opening engine cover.

I've built half of the eight Ford factory entries for the '66 race and have plans for the other half.

I also have the kit of the '68 version that has the removable engine cover and I have the HRM resin engine kit to detail the engine.

Trumpeter has a 1:12 GT40 but the consensus is that they have scaled up a diecast to create their kit and a lot of the detail is rather clunky. There are aftermarket details for it and some modelers are doing great work with it but it's too pricey for me.

sumus quod sumus
Daryl,
Those LeMans cars look great. Where do you get appropriate decals? It looks like the #7 even has Alan Mann in yellow on the rocker panel. I'd really like to do a few of those cars too.

Thanks,
Rick

November 5th, 2010, 10:55 pm #8

The decals for the 1, 2 & 5 cars are in their respective kits. The #3 car kit also includes decals for the #6 of Andretti and Bianchi. The 4, 7 & 8 cars require some home made decals. Theses were my first attempt and I wasn't happy with the result. Decal papers have advanced since I did these so I think I will have better luck when I do the #8 car.

sumus quod sumus

Ron M
Ron M

November 6th, 2010, 3:09 pm #9

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/search ... al=&back=2

Mostly ready mades but there are some 24th, 43rd and poss one or two 87th kits in there too.

AMR made top Q metal 43rd kits of many versions, inc the roadster, from Le Mans and a few other races. They often show up on eBay. Usually over $100 US. That's where I got my roadster kit 3-4 yrs ago.

Marsh/Thundersport also kitted some very good metal 43rd kits of the GTs, inc the Mk IV.

Le Mans Miniatures had a couple of resin kits in 87th, along w/ their more usual 43rd and 24ths, of the Le Mans winners.

I recall MPC (?) in the early 70s producing a 24th (?) kit of the Mk IV. There might have been a clear version too if I'm recalling correctly.

Most all OOP, so eBay would be the best route.
The first issue MPC had a clear body. Later, MPC had one with a clear trailer, even later, the trailer was ommitted. I think IMC had a rearward opening engine deck, and MPC, forward opening. Then, there were the J-cars. IMC had a clear body.

Ron M
Ron M

November 6th, 2010, 3:13 pm #10

The nice Fujimi/Revell kit (an easy, fun build, BTW) is a MKII, not the more common GT40.

Both Aurora and IMC kitted the GT40. The IMCs are now rarer and can be found only on eBay. Revell repopped the Aurora kit about a decade ago--they should be more reasonable on eBay. Both kits are supposed to be bee-yotches to build.

I have a Mini-Exotics resin body/transkit for the beautiful Mirage III. Pretty car, but I don't think I'll ever get around to building it. It's long out of production and every so often I get in the mood to put it on eBay.

"Don't let us get sick,
Don't let us get old,
Don't let us get stupid, all right?"

--Warren Zevon

"Two out of three ain't bad."

--Meat Loaf (actually Jim Steinman)
Like the Gulf MK-I with the wider track rear wheels. Also, L&S did a Nassua winning MK-I. It is a curbside model, but the only one I have seen with the modified rear deck inlets and proper nose shape.