? for those more knowledgable than I am about Stug IVs....

? for those more knowledgable than I am about Stug IVs....

July 7th, 2012, 5:02 pm #1

Dragon kit 6520 early production. Does this vehicle require zemmerit?
TIA. Hank

July 8th, 2012, 2:24 am #2

Dry fit, don't fit, fix fit.

Google IS your friend.

July 8th, 2012, 2:00 pm #3

TIA. Hank
It all depends on which front you want to build it at. The Western front didn't require it but the Eastern Front needed it..

July 8th, 2012, 4:28 pm #4

Zimmerit had zilch to do with what battlefront a tank was used on. It was factory applied and the German's didn't say ok this chassis is going to France and this one to Russia... Based on that rationale you would not see any tanks with zimmerit in the West but we know that is not true.

Zimmerit was applied uniformly between specific dates. It was used from IIRC Decemer 1943 through September, 1944. So, any gun tank, or tank destroyer built in that time period had it. The Germans were really pretty thorough and strict about it too. You don't see many exceptions to the rule. For example, every single Tiger I late had zimmerit since they were all built in this time period.

I am not a StuG IV expert but I think production started in November or December 1943 which would put them at the start of the zimmerit period.
Last edited by djnick66 on July 8th, 2012, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 7:39 pm #5

It all depends on which front you want to build it at. The Western front didn't require it but the Eastern Front needed it..
battle front had nothing to do with what vehicles got zim or not. But production of Zimmerit started in Sept. of 43 and ran to Sept of 44. A year. Early production Stug IVs would have zimmerit.

Roy

July 8th, 2012, 11:14 pm #6

TIA. Hank
Build it the way YOU want...

I don't see any zimmerit on this tank..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROs-lqA6XaY

July 8th, 2012, 11:50 pm #7

He was asking a legit question. Maybe he wants to build it CORRECTLY which is why he asked? And citing a restored museum resto-botch reconstruction is not a great way to prove a point. Few if any museum concoctions have original zimmerit and many that should do not, or that do have it added shouldn't

July 9th, 2012, 1:17 am #8

Build it the way YOU want...

I don't see any zimmerit on this tank..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROs-lqA6XaY
Early Stug IVs had zimmerit, some even had ferroconcrete applied.

July 9th, 2012, 3:29 am #9

He was asking a legit question. Maybe he wants to build it CORRECTLY which is why he asked? And citing a restored museum resto-botch reconstruction is not a great way to prove a point. Few if any museum concoctions have original zimmerit and many that should do not, or that do have it added shouldn't
So,

What if he DOESN'T want to add zimmerit? Does that make him an "incorrect" modler? No. I just said it's HIS model and he can build it any way HE wants..

July 9th, 2012, 3:35 am #10

Early Stug IVs had zimmerit, some even had ferroconcrete applied.
If the man want's proof then, show it to him....

Just because anybody and their brother can look it up on line doesn't make it correct. YOU have to go back in history, check all the files locked up in the very depts of Germany, and be able to translate it correctly, and provide substantial proof that "EVERY" vehicle that Krupp-Gruson at Magdeburg (chassis number 89324 to 89382 and 100001 to unknown) had zimmerit on it.

TD's were in short supply on BOTH fronts and some had zimmerit and others didn't.