For reasons that escape me

For reasons that escape me

March 11th, 2012, 8:17 am #1

I bought an MPM Ryan Fireball on eBay and got started on it straight away.

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

Given the boxtop style, I thought this was going to be one of the new style MPM kits. Unfortunately, it is 'old school' - the ones with the sprue radiatating out rather than a nice neat rectangle. I've built a couple of those before, and I know that a lot of cutting, sanding and carving is required. Here's my bench after preparing most of the larger parts:

[/IMG]

As it stands, it looks like it might go together OK. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

March 11th, 2012, 2:11 pm #2

A very interesting subject, but y'know, I've always thought that to be one of the worst conceivable names for an aircraft.

Stuart

March 11th, 2012, 6:42 pm #3

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

Given the boxtop style, I thought this was going to be one of the new style MPM kits. Unfortunately, it is 'old school' - the ones with the sprue radiatating out rather than a nice neat rectangle. I've built a couple of those before, and I know that a lot of cutting, sanding and carving is required. Here's my bench after preparing most of the larger parts:

[/IMG]

Cheers,
if you can, grab the Ginter book on the Fireball. Very useful!!

Given the crude-osity of this kit, i see much robbing of spare parts in your future, ha ha.

Cheers,

david

March 11th, 2012, 10:45 pm #4

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
But it looks good so far - in the pictures anyway - I once considered building the Pegasus kit...

This will be an interesting build to follow - and I just love that colour scheme on the box art

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

March 12th, 2012, 6:12 am #5

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
..so good luck. It is not just MPM's centrifugally cast models that are a bit on the crude side, BTW. But I think they changed to high pressure injection moulding when they started putting injected canopies in their kits. So that little "Canopy is injected" message on the lower right of the box top should indicate cleaner mouldings.

I see that wood carving tools have a use in plastic modelling - hadn't thought of that!

March 12th, 2012, 6:30 pm #6

But it looks good so far - in the pictures anyway - I once considered building the Pegasus kit...

This will be an interesting build to follow - and I just love that colour scheme on the box art

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Less like modelling, more like sculpture. Pardon the cr*p photography.

Last edited by veltro-uk on March 12th, 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2012, 8:28 pm #7

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
The Ryan Fireball! THAT's why I really dig late 40's and 1950's aircraft designs - they really pushed the envelope with emerging technology. You can almost hear the designers talking: "Hey, Bob - let's stick one of those new jet engines on the back and see what happens!" That's why we have these cool designs to drool over as modellers!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6; Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

March 12th, 2012, 8:39 pm #8

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
...who thought naming an aircraft "Fireball" was a bright idea. That's something we pilots try to avoid becoming!
Anyway, good for you, I like these a/c and have only seen a couple built. It's actually an attractive looking a/c and colorful schemes were applied. Good luck with the sanding!

Joe
Last edited by JY-man on March 12th, 2012, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2012, 11:14 pm #9

'Ryan Smouldering heap of wreckage' was a bit of a mouthful.

Cheers,

March 14th, 2012, 3:35 am #10

Here's the boxtop:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,
Chino Air Museum. California Steve. Cool aircraft.