For anyone interested I'll have the new tooled Tamiya Yamato in my hands tonight.

For anyone interested I'll have the new tooled Tamiya Yamato in my hands tonight.

December 9th, 2011, 7:19 pm #1

Review kit. I'm as anxious as anyone to find out if it's worth the premium price they are asking for it. I'm also concerned about the multipart lower hull. How does it fit? Why was it molded that way? Can the seams be eliminated or PSR without destroying the existing details? Is the shipping box really the size of a pickup truck? Yes, I'm taking my Baja pickup just in case.

I'll be back late so some in-the-box impressions tomorrow morning if all goes well. Hopefully the detail level is twice as good as the existing kits? Or more? I know it's the "end of the war" version so I'm expecting some major upgrades on everything from the main mast down to the props for the money. We will all have to wait and see. I can guarantee you I won't be leaving the Bong IPMS meeting with the box still sealed. Hey, those guys have the right to drool over it too. I'd be interested to see what REAL modelers have to say about it, since I'm just a talented hack at this hobby yet.

Tomorrow all will be revealed. Or at least some will be revealed. I doubt that I'll be able to cover every piece but the kit is going to get a good "looking over" before I do anything. I might even read the instructions first this time. Then I get to work. The review and model are due Feb. 1 so I don't have a lot of time to tinker with it. Especially with two holidays in there.

The wife has already given me permission to take over the dining room table as long as I clean up after myself at the end of each session. That's good because I'll need the room and the better light in there.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

December 10th, 2011, 1:45 pm #2

Think you will find this kit has raised the bar somewhat.
Staggering detail and crispness in the tooling, just superb in every respect.
Easily over three times the detail I've ever seen OOB particularly for injected plastic.
By far the best ship kit I have ever seen..Akagi included..
You,will,love it...
Time to spare..go by air!

December 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm #3

Review kit. I'm as anxious as anyone to find out if it's worth the premium price they are asking for it. I'm also concerned about the multipart lower hull. How does it fit? Why was it molded that way? Can the seams be eliminated or PSR without destroying the existing details? Is the shipping box really the size of a pickup truck? Yes, I'm taking my Baja pickup just in case.

I'll be back late so some in-the-box impressions tomorrow morning if all goes well. Hopefully the detail level is twice as good as the existing kits? Or more? I know it's the "end of the war" version so I'm expecting some major upgrades on everything from the main mast down to the props for the money. We will all have to wait and see. I can guarantee you I won't be leaving the Bong IPMS meeting with the box still sealed. Hey, those guys have the right to drool over it too. I'd be interested to see what REAL modelers have to say about it, since I'm just a talented hack at this hobby yet.

Tomorrow all will be revealed. Or at least some will be revealed. I doubt that I'll be able to cover every piece but the kit is going to get a good "looking over" before I do anything. I might even read the instructions first this time. Then I get to work. The review and model are due Feb. 1 so I don't have a lot of time to tinker with it. Especially with two holidays in there.

The wife has already given me permission to take over the dining room table as long as I clean up after myself at the end of each session. That's good because I'll need the room and the better light in there.

I picked it up at the Bong IPMS meeting. The box is frigging huge! Not pickup truck bed huge but big for a 1/350 ship. I'd guess the box weighs in about 4-6 pounds. Open the box and you find a cardboard half cover with the two sheets of stainless PE and the etched name plate. Also included in my box were two of the optional sets for the kit. The turned aluminum barrels for the major guns and, oddly, 20 or so shells for the the 18 inchers. OK, just where are you supposed to display those shells? It's not like there's much man-handling of 3,000 pound shells. Oh well, they are there. Also included was the railing set. Yeah right. Maybe 400 photo etched stanchions with tiny little holes in them. And about 60 feet of fine wire to thread through those holes. Plus some other odds and ends. Spacing gauges? I don't know, I don't care.

Under the half cover starts the sprues. First the hull, upper, middle, and lower. Yes the lower hull is a multipart molding. With lapped hull plates and water chests and god knows what else. I just hope and pray that the fit is good or I'm going to be using a lot of putty and time fixing it. The mid-hull is also multipart. Bow, two part mid-deck, and stern. The decking is also up there. Basically no molded on detail, just planks. Acres and acres of planking! Nice done at least and with the end cuts every fourth plank, which I think is correct. I couldn't tell where the joins are but there are going to be at least two joins. The masts and yardarms and other bits look to be very fine and probably from a different type of plastic. They are very very petite.

Under the first layer of sprues is yet another box. Inside that box are all the little bits. All the AA stuff for one. The triple 25mm guns have nice detail. Barrels, breaches, ammo bins. They are no longer lumps with bumps. The rest of the stuff looks just as good. There are also a few bits of paper. A FULL SIZED color profile, side and top views. The instruction booklet, about 20 pages or so of it. Decals. And a 1/4 inch thick history book on the ship with Japanese and English text ala Wingnut Wings. Oh yes, and the turrets have breaches and some interior detail. And the barbets are complete. The entire turret can be lifted out of the hull! Even after assembly all the guns and catapults and I think searchlights still move. I know there was a bag full of polycaps and screws so I'm guessing the decks and major parts screw down to the hull like the Mogami kits? The only thing is that with the blast bags on the main guns are set level, but I've seen pictures of the Yamato without blast bags and then the guns can be elevated.

I haven't unbagged anything yet so no close up views but I am impressed with this kit. Am I $275 impressed? I'm not sure. Too early to make that call.

Since I am not required to use the optional parts I think I have to take the easy way out. The new barrels will be used. The "drill a hole and glue in the stanchions" kit will go untouched. No way will I have time to drill and mount, perfectly straight and true, a few hundred stanchions and string the wire through them!

I'm going to have to use the dining room table to spread the parts out in sunlight to really see what we have here, but I think this ship might blow the Dragon Scharnhorst out of the water in sheer WOW factor and the Scharnhorst was no wimp in the wow factor!

This kit is certainly NOT your old Tamiya Yamato dolled up a bit with a higher price. It's all new tool and looks very promising. Today I spread it out and maybe open some bags to see what I really have ahead of me. When I mentioned I had until Feb. 1st to complete it several people said "So why are you standing here? Go build it!! You're going to need every minute to get it done on time!" That I will I'm sure. So much for Christmas and New Years! I see a lot of 10 hour days in my future.

December 10th, 2011, 4:05 pm #4

OK, the dining room table is 4' by 7'. I had to shoot the upper box of sprues and then clean the table off to shoot the lower box of sprues. I didn't count but there has to be about 25-30 different sprues in the kit with several of them duplicated. Including one of clear for the bridge windows and searchlights and a whole bunch of other tiny bits that I'm not sure what they are. There is also a white sprue for the blast bags and sand bags on the main deck for the 20 mm guns. There is also a black sprue for the stand, which I didn't bother to photograph.

Yes, a nice big color profile, instruction book, reference book, correction sheet, and a few other paper bits in a dozen other languages. The main deckhouse is cast as one piece via slide mold. The detail is outstanding. And there are about 200 parts to add to the basic structure.

The detail on the smaller parts is outstanding! And there are PE screens to add to the water chest openings in the lower hull! For the first time I think we have a lower hull that's just as detailed as the rest of the ship!

So on with the show:

The upper layer of sprues. Lower and mid hull stuff mostly.

The box top and color profile:

The assembly manual. Yes it's a manual not just instructions:

The reference book. It looks great from what I've seen so far:

The lower layer of sprues, all the other bits. And lots and lots of them!!!

The infamous railing set on the left. It's not going to be used unless I get this thing together a few weeks early. Like that's going to happen!! The middle pack is the 46 cm gun barrels complete with the proper taper and crown at the muzzle. The package on the right is all the polycaps and screws and whatnot. There have to be 40-60 polycaps there so it looks like basically all the guns can be positioned after assembly.

The included photo etch sheets. A lot but not that intimidating:

There is a LOT to this ship! It's huge. It's detailed. It's stunning. And that's just the parts sitting on the table! I can't wait to see how things fit. The multipart hull still worries me but maybe Tamiya did it properly? They normally do but I'm still worried. That's one heck of a lot of plastic to glue and paint no matter what.

December 10th, 2011, 5:04 pm #5

I gotta get me one of these. Ive had about every large scale Yamato going back to the Life Like kit in the 70s. This one just looks awesome.

If anyone can get complicated engineered parts to fit well, it's Tamiya...

December 10th, 2011, 5:44 pm #6

now IF they will do BIGE the same way! Bank account will be gone.

December 10th, 2011, 6:04 pm #7

I gotta get me one of these. Ive had about every large scale Yamato going back to the Life Like kit in the 70s. This one just looks awesome.

If anyone can get complicated engineered parts to fit well, it's Tamiya...
and I'm blown away! Clear windows in the bridge. And in the main deckhouse. Maybe a dozen or more all together. Rudders, guns, and everything else moves. The photo etch is limited but all the really needed detail parts are there and they look pretty easy to bend and assemble. The detail level on everything is beyond my expectations. You can see the breaches on the small guns. Rather than painting and shading the details for the gun directors are decals. There are stringers and formers in the lower hull and there is a mid-hull deck that can become the waterline plate if you build it that way. That hull is not going to twist or bend! Most of the decks and deckhouses screw down to the hull and all the screws are hidden. The molding appears to be first rate. The main deckhouse is slide molded as one major piece but there are 300-400 parts added to it.

The more I look the better I feel about this kit.

December 10th, 2011, 6:06 pm #8

It certainly hints at a mid-war version coming up for those that like that one better.

December 10th, 2011, 7:46 pm #9

is an icon to the Japanese people so I can understand why a Japanese firm would sink the effort into this kit.
But, at the risk of being called a "Grinch", this ship accomplished very little during the war. She was a waste of steel and manpower.
I'll pass on the kit, and hope that maybe down the road Tamiya will do something more significant. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a Yorktown or "Big E". If Yamato was a Japanese icon, those would be Japanese devils, and don't even think about the U.S.S. Hornet (CV-8).

Bill Shuey

December 10th, 2011, 8:34 pm #10

resources, and time they could ill-afford. And they accomplished .................. basically nothing. Yes they were the biggest, heaviest, largest caliber ships on the ocean. And the two of them tother didn't do enough damage to even count for anything. Not one decisive victory over another capital ship. They were a huge fear factor but nothing ever came of that.

I know everyone would love a Big E or the Mo or the Hornet done to this level. We can hold our breaths but I don't look good in blue face.